1918 Vega Whyte Laydie

Freeman Keller

• Members

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32295566","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH][ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32295567","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH] I've had a couple of really charming projects lately. This is a hundred year old tenor banjo that need minor fretwork and a general checking out. The owner wants me to put a skin head on it sometime later this winter.

73a73d6b9456f61505a7bc99d4b648d8.thumb.jpg.e53de8aae82b42c825598a79101231fb.jpg

f72a12a5453d07a537beef53133f3ba0.thumb.jpg.92a75733dac88165f9a9c2f57d5d2ec5.jpg

• Members

One of the really nice benefits of my "job" is that I get to take these wonderful (and not so wonderful) instruments in my house and play them for a day or two before returning them. Call to owner "your 1937 Martin will be done in a week, I need to check it out and make sure....."

• Members

So about 3 years ago I am at a Festival here in the are. Not a so around the stage very on must be getting a beer or something. On stage steps, a young lady named Valerie June with a small banjo.

I was so impressed with this I just starred in aw. 2 songs into her set there are 500 people standing around the stage.

After her set, I ran to the Merch table and bought her cd.

It's actually a uke banjo.

in the early 1900's there were a lot of cool variations of instruments.

[video=youtube;NevogZ_6Pls]

Here's how the cd came out.

[video=youtube;LiVda4gHIWE]

Nice shortie tenor banjo. I hope it makes great music for another 100 years.

• Members

Thank you, I enjoyed those a lot. Isn't it fun when something happens totally without expecting it. Serendipity

A few years ago I was asked to put a new head on a banjo uke. It was a bit of a family heirloom and many members of the family had signed it or doodled on it over the years. They wanted to preserve the head, yet still have the uke to play.

IMG_1289_zpscjaaq8yo.jpg

IMG_1321_zpsvgyqgp4q.jpg

IMG_1320_zpsrne5cdmu.jpg

Archived