Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Acoustic Guitars.....

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i`m not just disagreeing for the hell of it but i went into Banks Musicroom in the northern city of York a couple of weeks ago and the first acoustic Fender i pulled down and tried was really good , i don`t know which model it was it may have been in the £300 mark ,well realy i was there just browsing the music books i think a lot has to do with if they are set up nicely.and this one was.
    Consternoon Aftable

Comment

Where the hell did they get this list of "toneWoods" Ash is a popular tonewood for acoustics? Mahogany and maple paired together? WTF
      • Ash is a popular tonewood known for its pleasing resonance.
      • Basswood is an inexpensive tonewood often found on lower-priced acoustic guitars.
      • Cedar is a good tonewood for the top of a guitar.
      • Rosewood is one of the most popular tonewood choices. It is most often seen on the fretboard.
      • Spruce, like cedar, is a fairly inexpensive tonewood for the top of an acoustic guitar. It typically gets good results.
      • Mahogany and maple are two of the best tonewoods, especially when paired together.

2008 Guild F-50
      2015 Martin 00-DB
      2013 Gibson J45
      2016 Martin 00-17S

Comment

• Freeman Keller
        Freeman Keller commented
        Editing a comment
        WTF kind of sums it up, doesn't it?

The Q & A is especially awful.
      2008 Guild F-50
      2015 Martin 00-DB
      2013 Gibson J45
      2016 Martin 00-17S

Comment

Originally posted by catscurlyear View Post
        i`m not just disagreeing for the hell of it but i went into Banks Musicroom in the northern city of York a couple of weeks ago and the first acoustic Fender i pulled down and tried was really good , i don`t know which model it was it may have been in the £300 mark ,well realy i was there just browsing the music books i think a lot has to do with if they are set up nicely.and this one was.
        Fender wouldn't be my first choice, especially after the problems Freeman has pointed out, but I've played a few I liked. I confess I don't completely get all the Fender bashing.
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

• Freeman Keller
          Freeman Keller commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to think that every Fender acoustic guitar was simply a piece of poop. I had never played one I liked, they all had that silly stratocaster headstock - I figured Fender was simply riding their good name with basically junk guitars.

Then a couple of years ago they came out with a whole new line of acoustic guitars. I remember one of them getting a decent review in an acoustic guitar magazine (which will remain nameless but (1) gave good reviews to every guitar they reviewed and (2) featured ads for Fender acoustic guitars). My local music store got a couple of them in, I played them, and thought "sure, this is pretty much what I would expect from a 150 dollar imported guitar regardless of the name on the headstock". Better than the old generation, maybe, but nothing that would follow me home.

Then I started seeing the failures and I started looking inside. The new ones are a piece of poop just like the others.
          Last edited by Freeman Keller; 08-08-2018, 07:46 PM.

Originally posted by missedmyexit View Post
        Where the hell did they get this list of "toneWoods" Ash is a popular tonewood for acoustics? Mahogany and maple paired together? WTF . . .
        I mentioned that in my own reply and got roundly pooh-poohed. Glad to see someone else who's on the same page. I've seen acoustics with ash backs and sides, primarily Washburns. One model had an ash top, back and sides with a mahogany neck. They also made an acoustic with a quilted maple top and mahogany back and sides. But those are exceptions and fairly rare. Some Art & Lutherie models have cherry tops, backs and sides. They used to have maple necks but IIRC they switched to mahogany. The Ibanez Exotic Wood series uses all manner of funky woods but they're primarily made for looks rather than sound. And none of those combinations are what I'd call "popular."

Comment

Originally posted by Grant Harding View Post
          FWIW - about half of the 10 best acoustic guitars I've ever played have been Gibsons. Never played one that wasn't excellent.
          I have a couple of Gibson acoustics, and the are very nice. I have a couple of Martins I really dig and my buddy plays a Martin D28HD that sounds really good.

My fav off the rack guitars.

Old skool. When you pick up one you usually get just what you expect.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
            Fender wouldn't be my first choice, especially after the problems Freeman has pointed out, but I've played a few I liked. I confess I don't completely get all the Fender bashing.
            I'm offended from a business sense that they continue to pump out crappy entry level acoustics against their premium brand. They should brand them Squier and sell actual high grade Fender acoustics. It baffles the mind.

Comment

• Freeman Keller
              Freeman Keller commented
              Editing a comment
              Or just do what they are really good at and sell electric guitars. Stay out of the acoustic business entirely.

• Grant Harding
              Grant Harding commented
              Editing a comment
              That works for me.

Originally posted by Grant Harding View Post
            I'm offended from a business sense that they continue to pump out crappy entry level acoustics against their premium brand. They should brand them Squier and sell actual high grade Fender acoustics. It baffles the mind.
            I can see that. The Paramount series is in the $800-and-up range. The upper models in the California series are around $800 or so. Call those "Fender" and everything below Squier. I don't agree that they should stay out of the acoustic business, which strikes me as snobbish, but if they're going to sell acoustics they might as well do them right. There's Formica crap out there pretending to be Martin guitars so Fender isn't alone in putting its name where it doesn't belong.

Comment

I hate to say it but you guys have fallen prey to click bait. Journalism has unfortunately degraded to the point where opinions pass as fact and even highly esteemed outlets fail to check their facts.

As my mama used to say take everything you hear with a grain of salt.
              Gear:
              2013 Official Luthier's Forum Medium Jumbo (Western red cedar/mahogany)
              2012 McKnight McUke (soprano ukulele, redwood/mahogany)
              2010 Martin D-16GT
              2006 Larrivee OM-03R
              1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster (natural ash finish)
              1989 Kramer Stryker
              197? Epiphone Texan FT-160N

Comment

Originally posted by kwakatak View Post
                I hate to say it but you guys have fallen prey to click bait. Journalism has unfortunately degraded to the point where opinions pass as fact and even highly esteemed outlets fail to check their facts.

As my mama used to say take everything you hear with a grain of salt.
                I don't think anyone is saying the "article"/"guide" or whatever they're trying to make it look like is serious journalism. Some of us are, however, pointing out how misleading and uninformed it is.
                Last edited by DeepEnd; 08-12-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X