VOM1T July 2018

garthman

• Members

Hello everyone, time for some music instead of chat.

My submission this month is a Dylan song that appeared on "Freewheeling". Dylan was invited to the UK in late 1962 / early 1963 by the BBC to feature in a TV play (now lost, alas) called "Madhouse on Castle Street". Whilst here he heard British folk singer, Martin Carthy singing a traditional song called "Lord Franklin" about the ill-fated mid 19thC expedition to find a sea passage around the North Pole (everyone died). When he returned to the States, Dylan pinched the tune and some of the words and the song became "Bob Dylan's Dream" - a remarkable and lyrical flight of nostalgia for a 21 year old.

Bob Dylan's Dream

https://app.box.com/s/ban5rna63xdfs5jlh5drdexq26v8gw6j

Played on my nylon strung Ovation-alike, strummed with the side of my thumb. Recorded with Audacity via an Avid Mbox. 2nd take.

PS. Madhouse on Castle Street info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madhouse_on_Castle_Street

PPS. The song is from the Times They are A-Changing, not Freewheeling

• Members

Here's my contribution, another twofer. First, a cover of "I Will Follow," by Chris Tomlin. I sang it in church a couple of Sundays ago and Ray, our tech guy, recorded it: http://kiwi6.com/file/ttjr2mrdwd (Edit: That's my friend Amy, our church's Music Director, playing piano. I don't play anything without frets.)

Second, an original Country song called "I Can Only Play The Game," inspired by a thread in one of the OT forums: http://kiwi6.com/file/cqxulvqsa4.

• Members

Garthman: I enjoyed it. That did not sound like a nylon string guitar

though. Through my TASCAM MIC crapola deluxe TH 200x headphones

- it sounded like a steel-string flat-top played w/ your thumb.

Deep-end:

Song #1 :I Will Follow: Is that you playing piano? Good job.

Song #2: I liked the Country song better though. Good job of writing & playing. I liked your voice better on that song too.

Your lyrics are wry & unexpected. Your guitar playing is spot-on. The recording is fine. You should post more stuff like that. I really liked it.

--

Nothing from me this month but I am set up for recording finally. I am using PRESONUS these days.

My first two or three projects are old Jerry Lee Lewis Honky Tonk songs. After that, I have a big backlog of my own compositions I need to get started on.

Next month, I hope to post a new acoustic arrangement of How's my Ex Treating You.

Either that, or it will be a different Honky Tonk tune of his. Of the forumites here, only the much-missed Terry Allan Hall would have

recognized & appreciated it.

• Members

Been making a collection of what I call my Wine Bar series of instrumentals played at, yep, wine bar joints where people listen to instrumentals, drink wine and infrequently drop their sleepy faces into their bowls of quinoa.

I made demo shorts of them for promotional purposes. This one covers Sir Elton's Yellow Brick Road.

[video=youtube;kYBmLyPSchw]

• Members
. . . Deep-end:

Song #1 :I Will Follow: Is that you playing piano? Good job.

Song #2: I liked the Country song better though. Good job of writing & playing. I liked your voice better on that song too.

Your lyrics are wry & unexpected. Your guitar playing is spot-on. The recording is fine. You should post more stuff like that. I really liked it. . . .

Thanks. That's my friend Amy, our church's Music Director, playing piano. I've edited my post to reflect it. She chose the song and, unfortunately, the key. I would've sung it lower if I'd had my druthers. She was playing an electronic piano with the ability to transpose but she wouldn't take it any lower. I wasn't that crazy about how well I did, especially when I heard the recording, but I got some nice feedback and I decided to post it as a VOM entry since I had the recording handy.

I seem to have an affinity for Country. Not sure what it is except that I grew up listening to it. Every once in a while something will spark an idea. I can't take 100% credit for the lyrics. Here's the post that inspired the song:

..I have abandoned all hope. The last few ounces of my constitution float in a 1 liter bottle of Jim Beam. Insolvency' date=' inadequacy, despair, desperation, guilt, remorse, lot of stuff in that last few ounces.Not suicidal, just spiritually bankrupt.[/quote']

• Members
Been making a collection of what I call my Wine Bar series of instrumentals played at, yep, wine bar joints where people listen to instrumentals, drink wine and infrequently drop their sleepy faces into their bowls of quinoa.

I made demo shorts of them for promotional purposes. This one covers Sir Elton's Yellow Brick Road.

[video=youtube;kYBmLyPSchw]

This was very nice and well played. Is this your arrangement? Well done.

• Members

Here's what I've recorded in the last month. I managed to stick to my one-a-week schedule despite a constant stream of house guests.

Molly Malone

One of my favorite traditionals. As it's in D/Bm, I was able to use my Casey Burns folk flute.

Twa Corbies

This is a traditional Scottish tune about two ravens, or Twa Corbies discussing their evening meal, a dead knight. I had fun with this one, as I recorded everything on low budget instruments. The guitar was a cheap craigslist chinese 12 string with no name on the headstock and obscenities carved into the finish on the back. I spent a good amount of time filing down the bridge and adjusting the truss rod to get it straight enough to play. I think I bought the bass on CL for around $175. The flute is a well-used ebay student flute.

Eppy Moray

Another traditional Scottish tune, and a very early version of a song about women's empowerment. It tells the tale of a bonnie young lass who is abducted to be a bride. After her abductor spends the night in a futile attempt to rape her, she kicks his butt and forces him to send her home.

Wild Mountain Thyme

This is one of my favorite ballads. The bass is a bit boomy in this one, I need to work on the mix a bit more.

Next month will be a short one, I'm off to Ireland for a couple of weeks where I'll be playing a lot of traditional folk music with a wonderful group of my favorite drunken Celts.

• Members
Garthman: I enjoyed it. That did not sound like a nylon string guitar

though. Through my TASCAM MIC crapola deluxe TH 200x headphones

- it sounded like a steel-string flat-top played w/ your thumb

Thanks, Marc.

Yes it does sound more like a steel string on that recording. Perhaps due to a combination of the fitted Shadow passive electronics and the MBox feed?

• Members

My submission this month is a Dylan song that appeared on "Freewheeling". Dylan was invited to the UK in late 1962 / early 1963 by the BBC to feature in a TV play (now lost, alas) called "Madhouse on Castle Street". Whilst here he heard British folk singer, Martin Carthy singing a traditional song called "Lord Franklin" about the ill-fated mid 19thC expedition to find a sea passage around the North Pole (everyone died). When he returned to the States, Dylan pinched the tune and some of the words and the song became "Bob Dylan's Dream" - a remarkable and lyrical flight of nostalgia for a 21 year old.

Bob Dylan's Dream

Played on my nylon strung Ovation-alike, strummed with the side of my thumb. Recorded with Audacity via an Avid Mbox. 2nd take.

PS. Madhouse on Castle Street info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madhouse_on_Castle_Street

Definitely sounds very Dylan!

• Members

MrHarryReems - Well done all around. You're certainly more productive than I am. ;) I was familiar with the expression "Twa Corbies" but I'd never heard the song. "Eppy Moray" and "Wild Mountain Thyme" were new to me but enjoyable.

• Members

Hi there here`s my monthly donation .We came across this "Axman" black electro acoustic guitar looking a bit sorry for it`s self for sale in a charity shop,it had a tuning peg missing but the neck was very nice ,there are a few dinks in it .After fitting it with a tuning peg and putting some new strings on it and setting it up and plus a bonus the electrics were in good working order .Any how it plays very nice and i like the tone of it it is bright with no lumpy bottem end and quite loud up to my Tanglewood Koa. I`ve made a recording of it ,i miced it up and also sent a direct feed into the recorder giving it a stereo image, i tried to find out about this guitar and apparently they were very cheap and were sold in supermarkets a few years back,but reveiws have been very favourable and i tend to agree, it is very comfotable to play and sounds nice the tuning pegs are rubbish though.anyway here`s a recording of Brown Eyed Girl, the guitar was recorded first and then i added the vocals after. i need to get my SM58 back i am using a peavey cheapo which is quit harsh. tahttps://soundcloud.com/user-282584942/brown-eyed-girl-axman

• Members

I hope I didn't miss anyone. I'll make another pass later.

As usual, I listened thru my MIC crap-o-matic TASCAM TH-200x headphones. If something sounds good in these cans- it is pretty good. (They were MF Stupid Deal of the Day for $29.95 some months back & worth it).

IDunno: It sounded lovely. Just lovely.

Mr. Harry Reems:

1. Molly Malone:Excellent but heavy on the bass through these phones.

2. Twa Corbies: Ditto

3. Eppy Moray: I don't think the mix on this one is as good as the first two. I don't like the percussion. Less drums & more clarity on the voices. Your voice, the voices & the lyrics are the stars here - not the drums. It is too busy. It distracts IMO.

Listen to some Rockabilly. Rockabilly guys minimize percussion to a snare or even brushes on a guitar case. They don't have a lot of other stuff going on. The percussion is way too busy here IMO.

4. Wild Mountain Thyme: Better mix than #3. Maybe it's these phones. But it seems heavy on the bass. Percussion is not so busy. That's good.

Your voice & the lyrics are the star in these songs. Don't forget that.

Catscurlyear: Nice playing & singing. I was really blown-away by something original you posted a couple of months ago.

Alas, this wasn't up to that level. But it's a nice recording.

• Members

Bob Dylan's Dream

Hi Howard ,nice tune great performance, i like the recording you`ve done in audacity .

• Members

very good recordings and playing and singing what do you use to record? Wild Mountain Thyme is very nice ,ive only listened on ear goggles the bass does sound a touch loud and is a smidge out of tune this will make it stand out more,the tune is still lovely though.

Archived