No announcement yet.

Tuning up - Should I be concerned

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning up - Should I be concerned

Recently started looking at Pearl Jam's song Daughter which is in GGDGAD. What should be my concern level of tuning some pricey instruments up? The E goes up 1 1/2 steps.
    2008 Guild F-50
    2015 Martin 00-DB
    2013 Gibson J45
    2016 Martin 00-17S

I'd be inclined to buy an extra A string and replace the low E with it. Very light strings would probably work but you'd have two G's with very different tension.
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

So its bascially DADGAD with the 5th down to G and the 6th up to E? According to the D'Addario chart a 0.053 goes from 25.5 pounds to 36.1, a 0.056 goes from 29.3 to 41.4. The rest of your strings will be going down in tension so the overall affect on the neck and action won't be bad but I do worry about that 6th string. In fact most people who play in DADGAD use mediums to bump the tension up. For one song once in a while I might consider tuning lights that way and put up with the high tension in the 6th and light on everything else, if I was going to leave a guitar in that tuning I'd put mediums on it with a 45 or so on the bottom.

I'm not familiar with the song - do you really need the double G's? Do you fret them differently or are they just drones? If so I would consider not playing the 6th at all - just like all those chords with the X on the string that doesn't work

Comment

do what keith richards does and don`t even put the bottom string on in other words a 5 string .
        Consternoon Aftable

Comment

Originally posted by missedmyexit View Post
          Recently started looking at Pearl Jam's song Daughter which is in GGDGAD. What should be my concern level of tuning some pricey instruments up? The E goes up 1 1/2 steps.
          I can't speak in terms of the science of tension. When I learned many moons ago, my uncle/teacher cautioned me about tuning up. My first thought is to tune it down (GGDGAD --> EEBEF#B) and capo at the third fret.

Comment

Originally posted by NadNitram View Post
            I can't speak in terms of the science of tension. When I learned many moons ago, my uncle/teacher cautioned me about tuning up. My first thought is to tune it down (GGDGAD --> EEBEF#B) and capo at the third fret.
            Which won't address the 5th and 6th strings being at the same pitch even though they're very different gauges (or the 5th being 7 semitones flat assuming you tune down to E rather than up to E) or the 1st and 2nd strings being 5 full semitones flat. The You'd need a custom set of strings to manage it.
            Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
            Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
            Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
            Member of the Schecter Society
            Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

IMHO, dedicate a guitar or 2 to different tunings and gauges etc.

Comment

You could tune it to FFCFGC and capo the second fret.
                Del
                www.thefullertons.net
                ( •)—:::
                Sent on my six-string jumbo ukelele

Comment

Working...
                X