SonoTone Acoustic Guitar Strings

maplebaby

• Members
Loved you reviews of Collings guitars.

ALL strings sound great, new.

Just sayin', yo.

Actually that's a matter of taste. IMHO, brand new strings sound awful, some brands worse than others. I wait until the initial harsh sound disappears, then strings sound pretty good.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Actually that's a matter of taste. IMHO, brand new strings sound awful, some brands worse than others. I wait until the initial harsh sound disappears, then strings sound pretty good.

is there anything you DON'T know everything about?

and is there ANYTHING I can say that you won't gainsay?

tiresome

this is a major reason I don't post much here anymore

• Members

D'Addario extrudes their own music wire. Most of the guitar brand strings are made by Mapes or another extruder I can't name at the moment. Mapes also sells strings under their own name and they're cheap (3-pack). I haven't bought them yet because D'Addarios products have been fine. I change steal strings every three weeks because that new sound of the strings is the sound the maker alloys and extrudes them for. Anything after that (settling in) period is when the trebles have lost their brilliance. I like the brilliance and three weeks is usually when that starts going south. I wonder who makes Sono Tone's string sets. Few string brands alloy and extrude their own music wire so I'm guessing they buy them already packaged by the OEM they contract with. If so, and Mapes is the maker, the mark-up at $18.00+ is north of 100%. I just bought a 3-set package of Mapes Phosphor-Bronze strings for $23.50 shipped.

I went to the Sono Tone site and selected their "lab" button. It took me to a picture of a room with a couch and guitars. The testimonial page lauds the products but otherwise there's not much from the company qualifying the science and selection of their materials.

https://www.mapesstrings.com/mapes-quality-difference/

is there anything you DON'T know everything about?

and is there ANYTHING I can say that you won't gainsay?

tiresome

this is a major reason I don't post much here anymore

Looks like he disagrees with you, and prefers the sound of strings that have broken in a bit. He isn’t the only guitarist who holds that POV, but even if he was, then so what? He is as entitled to his own POV as much as the rest of us are.

And were you really looking to be offended so much that you felt you had to reply to a post that is over a year old?

Tiresome, indeed....

• Members
D'Addario extrudes their own music wire. Most of the guitar brand strings are made by Mapes or another extruder I can't name at the moment. . . .[/url]

Thanks for the research. IIRC, GHS also draws their own wire. I have no idea who provides the wire for Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings but I like them. As always, YMMV.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived