D'Addario/Planet Waves capo warning

DeepEnd

• Members

Earlier today I got out my D'Addario/Planet Waves capo and lo and behold it was unusable. Turns out the little steel pin that acts as a hinge can come out. Mine had and it was only held in place at one end. I was able to get it back into place and if I hadn't I had both a Shubb and an old school rubber band capo handy but it's something to watch for if you use one like it. Here's a pic with the pin circled:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tD'Addari.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t19.9 KB ID:\t32204840","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32204840","data-size":"full","title":"D'Addari.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

• Members
Hmm - wonder if it's a design flaw or a manufacturing error.

Beats me. You'd think it would have something like a nail head at one end and be flattened/bent at the other but it's just a plain straight rod. Near as I can tell the pin just worked its way out of the hole. When I first saw it I thought the capo was bent somehow because the part that stops the strings was at an angle. On closer inspection I discovered the slipped pin.

• Members
Earlier today I got out my D'Addario/Planet Waves capo and lo and behold it was unusable. Turns out the little steel pin that acts as a hinge can come out. Mine had and it was only held in place at one end. I was able to get it back into place and if I hadn't I had both a Shubb and an old school rubber band capo handy but it's something to watch for if you use one like it. Here's a pic with the pin circled:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tD'Addari.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t19.9 KB ID:\t32204840","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32204840","data-size":"full","title":"D'Addari.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

I always keep a few capos handy at a gig, including Shubbs, which never break.

At a gig on time, I broke the spring on Kyser capo, puts a small dent in the back of the neck of the guitar too.

You can send them back to Ksyer and have them fix, for 20 bucks or you can trow them away and buy another one for 18 dollars.

A buddy om my gave me a G7, that he didn't care for. It's kind of chunky and a tank.

Remember when playing out, back up is the key. a few Capos, batteries, slides, tuners, a couple of packs of strings, wire cutter, maybe a multi tool screw driver thing. I have them all in a accessories box.

This is exactly what I use, but mine says Husky on it.

My buddy some how broke is Husky case and now uses a Rigid

There's even enough room for a fx box, your fav mic or a DI box. I'll have the Fishman Spectra DI handy. I'll toss capos, slides, batteries tuners ect in separate zippy bags so they don't slide around.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Organizer-Black-222571/205440492

could work too

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-TSTAK-I-7-Compartment-Long-Handle-Small-Parts-Organizer-DWST17808/204404671

I have a shoulder strap on mine.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Husky-Technician-Tool-Box.jpg","data-attachmentid":32205071}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Keter-Technician-Tool-Case.jpg","data-attachmentid":32205072}[/ATTACH]

• Members

I would have expected it to be a roll pin, which is not a solid rod but formed by rolling a piece of steel into a little cylinder. Roll pins have a seam down one side and a hollow center, they are designed to be force into a slightly smaller hole and spring out against the sides of the hole to hold it in. It can easily be driven out with a punch if you ever need to disassemble it. Quite common in mass assembled products.

• Members

Good to know, and thanks for posting the diagrammatic picture, too. :thu:

• Members

Ever since Shubb hit the market all others became obsolete. Even the G7th, sounding all cranky inside when fitting, loses to Shubb's secure simplicity and unobtrusiveness at less than half the cost. I remember giving my G7th to JasmineTea on a meet-up here in FL some years back.

• Members
If you have tools' date=' you can stake that pin in and it'll be good as new. Beats tossing it.[/quote']

Thanks but I already got the pin back in with my fingers after I loosened the spring. My original post in this thread says (emphasis added):

. . . I was able to get it back into place and if I hadn't I had both a Shubb and an old school rubber band capo handy but it's something to watch for if you use one like it. . . .

I bought it on eBay for around $15 IIRC and while it's not a G7 it's also not something I'd just throw away without trying to fix it.

• Members
Ever since Shubb hit the market all others became obsolete. Even the G7th' date=' sounding all [i']cranky[/i] inside when fitting, loses to Shubb's secure simplicity and unobtrusiveness at less than half the cost. I remember giving my G7th to JasmineTea on a meet-up here in FL some years back.

I'm a big Shubb fan. I like everything about them except not being able to clamp them on the headstock. That's the primary reason I bought the D'Addario/Planet Waves. I haven't tried a G7 because, frankly, I'm cheap.

• Members

A buddy om my gave me a G7, that he didn't care for. It's kind of chunky and a tank.

]

I recently purchased a Thayler capo - the adds intrigued me. It too is way too big, heavy and intrusive. Shubb is definitely the way to go.

• Members

I recently purchased a Thayler capo - the adds intrigued me. It too is way too big, heavy and intrusive. Shubb is definitely the way to go.

Never heard of the Thayler's, but I have heard of the Thalia capo, which are very pretty.

75 buck pretty.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"C200-BA_grande.jpg?v=1511574294.jpg","data-attachmentid":32206079}[/ATTACH]

• Members
Never heard of the Thayler's, but I have heard of the Thalia capo, which are very pretty.

75 buck pretty.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"C200-BA_grande.jpg?v=1511574294.jpg","data-attachmentid":32206079}[/ATTACH]

Yeah, if I'm too cheap to try a G7 I am definitely never going there.

Archived