17 Months with no NGD!

Glenn F

• Members

Hey all!

First time I've done that in over 10 years! :0 Looking back, it was certainly very weird to have NGDs 4 times a year. My wife is happy as things stand, lol.

I did, however, last November buy an Appalachian Dulcimer. I haven't been able to really learn how to play it yet, due to health reasons. Anyways, here it is: It is made by 'Muzikkon,' which is based in Dublin, though their instruments are made in Pakistan. This model is solid spruce on top, solid North Indian Rosewood. It sounds pretty nice! It wasn't expensive either, and it is a lot better than the house-brand Thomann model.

Oh, and I am also getting a Vox AC15 head as an early birthday present. sm-lava

0c8af13637163fcfda6543b54fac5d5f.thumb.jpg.3361e0cf6c19d897449c2d76a93138f9.jpg

e2d6680340b07f76f9650fa9fcb43e25.thumb.jpg.a79142fda19310c2f1d03eb860014ac3.jpg

• Members

my last NGD was january 2017....

but hmm i have one in the mail, now for over one month, if the tracking is right my new danelectro 12string sits now for over two weeks in the customs office :(

i'm waiting and sitting on needles to finally post my NGD, it will be guitar number 12, hehe number 12 is a 12 string what an incident :)

as long it is not more than one guitar per year i guess i'm fine, but every purchase must be justified for several reasons by myself

• Members

Cool looking dulcimer. I haven't bought a guitar in years except to give to a guy from church who had been in a house fire. My last purchase for me was a used Roland Cube 80XL amp and that's been a while, well over a year.

• Members
Hey all!

First time I've done that in over 10 years! :0 Looking back, it was certainly very weird to have NGDs 4 times a year. My wife is happy as things stand, lol.

I did, however, last November buy an Appalachian Dulcimer. I haven't been able to really learn how to play it yet, due to health reasons. Anyways, here it is: It is made by 'Muzikkon,' which is based in Dublin, though their instruments are made in Pakistan. This model is solid spruce on top, solid North Indian Rosewood. It sounds pretty nice! It wasn't expensive either, and it is a lot better than the house-brand Thomann model.

Oh, and I am also getting a Vox AC15 head as an early birthday present. sm-lava

Nice

Hopefully you are feeling better these days and can get some Appalachian Dulcimer learning time in the saddle.

I myself, have been working on the bodhran. It's coming slowly.

Happy Birthday wish early. I had one back in late March.

• Members

Gotcha beat by 115 months, give or take a couple months and not counting Leap year. I did just buy a new pack of thumb picks, though. I fully anticipate no NGDs going forward unless some hazard befalls my current guitar.

• Members

I went for long stretches in my life without buying guitars, mostly due to money. There was 1 in 1981, 1986 (sold in 1988 for food and rent), 1997, and then from 2007-2016, when I had the disposable income, I went nuts. I don't foresee any further NGDs in my world, unless we win the lotto or something. It was basically the fulfillment of an adolescent fantasy, and I am pretty content with what I have.

In getting the VOX, I've decided to re-acquaint myself with my electrics, which I've hardly played in a few years. I have a couple of amp sims, but it isn't the same, and I'd prefer, sometimes, to play in the darkness of my livingroom, without it being lit up by my 27" iMac. Just sit back on my couch, and sharpen-up my lead playing. It has a built-in attenuator, and it works quite well at keeping the volume manageable whilst still sounding ab-fab. There's a lot of tones to be had from this amp!

• Members

I started playing in 73 and stopped completely in 76. I got really involved with the pursuit of personal endeavors and traveled continuously. Then I settled down with my own company, new family and time-hogging baggage thereof that totally wrecked my muse. Christmas, 2004, something clicked and I bought a guitar. The following 2 years saw a parade of guitars come and go when, in 2008, sobriety took control and gave me the repose I needed to finally figure out I was not a steel string player at heart. Dang, that was an expensive revelation. The Yamaha classical I currently play gives me everything I need acoustically and electrically, and the Fishman SA220 more than meets that demand.

• Members

I've been playing my classical guitars more often than I used to. I find it very soothing to my nerves, though I like playing rock n roll too much to stop playing my steel-strings.

Strange thing is, my wife is quite attached to my acoustic collection. She can play a bit, but anytime I suggest selling one of my acoustics, I get a loud "NOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

My new VOX rocks!

• Members

Nope! Happy me! I broke a cycle that was stupid, time-consuming, energy-consuming and financially consuming. From the hunt to the purchase, to the post-setup, the whole rigamarole had a bit of a grip on me. I could go into the Psych reasons for it, but I won't.

My new VOX amp is seriously great! Have to wait for Christmas for the 212C cab, though.[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-tempid":"temp_135403_1524408879808_389"}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Have fun all plugged in an'stuff. Since I left steel string and plugged in nylon, the revelation that I was never a truly acoustic player is setting in. The Fishman SA200 amp I bought a couple year back has made what was missing obvious to me, and developing that side of playing is a new and much closer horizon. Now I'm on a hunt for a cheap looper pedal.

This guy may not be everyone's cup-a but his practiced use of a looper is my next obsession.

[video=youtube_share;gHf9QOj9-Co]

[video=youtube_share;AVLylgAu6T0]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Dont think Ive gotten any guitars since 2013 - im very happy with what i have .

Ive always though GAS was for people who keep buying so-so guitars , not what they really wanted.

So they keep looking and buying . Ive honestly been in music stores checking out guitars but

honestly Id be a silly fool -I really like what i have . I never though Id ever have guitars as nice as I do .

why bother .

• Members
Dont think Ive gotten any guitars since 2013 - im very happy with what i have .

Ive always though GAS was for people who keep buying so-so guitars , not what they really wanted.

So they keep looking and buying . Ive honestly been in music stores checking out guitars but

honestly Id be a silly fool -I really like what i have . I never though Id ever have guitars as nice as I do .

why bother .

Yeah, I don't know how many flavah of the month guitars I bought, but I did not end up keeping any of them, afaik. A Masterbilt, A Chinese Guild, A Fender Squire, an Artcore, on and on. I have two cheap acoustic guitars now, but both punch above their weight. A Sigma 000M-15, and a Walden G2070. Both bought 2nd hand, both serious bargains, especially the Walden. The rest of my acoustics are exactly what I want, and are a complete pleasure to play. I hope to have them the rest of my life.

BTW, it's now 18 months!!!!:rastaphil:

• Members

For the past 3 years I have been on a search for one guitar. I have been through, not necessarily in order, 1973 Alvarez 5075, 1976 Alvarez 5046, 2015 Breedlove Black Magic, 1977 Guild MKII, Yamaha Red Label FG-75, 2010 Carvin B40 Bass, 2010 American Deluxe Telecaster, 2008 American Fender Deluxe Stratocaster, 1980s VMI Sebring Blade II Bass and a 1980s Yamaha FG-336SB! All of those except for the Telecaster have been bought and then sold or traded. The Telecaster is up on the sale or trading block as we speak!

All effort in the honorable quest of finding the one! For me, the one was found at GC after playing multiple acoustics, yes, at least I can make a decision that I really don't want to be an electric bass or electric guitar player! So I chose a 2017 Taylor 414CE, Custom that year and sold at GC. Engelmann Spruce and Rosewood. Maybe because it is one of the few guitars I have purchased new or maybe something else but I really like this guitar and will keep it forever. Although I am in search of something in addition to the Taylor, maybe a Parlor or Dreadnought, different wood and size. GAS or NGD or whatever you want to call it is "mostly" over. Pic of the start of a stable!

• Members

Enjoy your Taylor! Good luck with finding her a companion. :rawk:

I have a bunch of electrics, 8 (after checking a pic on my FB page, lol). Every time I think I might sell one or two, and pull them out and play them, I think better of it. With one exception: I have an Artcore AS103NT (which, incidentally, started off my 10 years of nuttiness) that I am willing to part with. For my acoustics.....I don't think so. Perhaps the Sigma, but I only paid €180 for it, so I won't get very much for it. Perhaps my Martin 000-M? No, every time I pull her out, I love her. I've thought of selling my Tele, but every time I pull her out I decide against it. It is just set up so perfectly, plays well and sounds so good that I can't. 'But you have a Strat!' Yeah, but....

The thing about having 19 guitars (no, I am not bragging, trust me) is that I can have a period when I play only a handful of them, and when I do go to my other instruments, it's like a NGD all over again, except the guitars have been chosen as 'keepers' and perfectly setup for me. Better than NGDs, actually!

I found the whole process exhausting, tbh. From the hunt to the post-setup, the whole thing just became anti-climactic, and besides, we've been doing some travelling and I've enjoyed that much more than NGDs.

I'm rocking my VOX, lol. My Return To The Dark Side...

VOX AC15CH/212C. Perfect amp for me!

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"thumb","data-attachmentid":32223534}[/ATTACH]

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. :thu: FWIW, I like the walnut version too. The only 12-string Gretsch I've ever seen up close was an acoustic. 12-strings are a PITA in the first place. I spent three decades with a 12-string acoustic as my primary guitar and I'd never go back to that. It's very likely yours simply needs a setup, and entirely possible the replacement will too. Holding tune can probably be resolved by a little graphite on the nut or different strings, unless the guitar is simply built so lightly the body/neck joint flexes. That might be the case if it's a full hollowbody. Anyway, a belated Merry Christmas to you and yours. [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Xms_Smi2.gif","data-attachmentid":32429011}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Nylons are sexy. You might get a set of ball end nylon strings and try them on one of your steel string acoustics. All sorts of people say you can't do that, but couple I did string up didn't get that message. Yeah, wrap them tight as peg on tuner not so big. If want to get obsessive, could make a new nut, but mine work just fine.

• Members

Yes. My two most-played guitars are steel string acoustics fitted with nylon strings. I converted the first one 15 years ago and it very quickly became my favourite. The second is an Ovation type with a straight through bridge that enables you to tie on loop-end strings just like on a classical. Works great.

• Members

I had my last NGDin December of 2013 when I strung up my first build. Since then I’ve enjoyed my NGD of April 2006 (Larrivee OM-03R) and January 2010 (Martin D-16GT) more. I’m hoping that my next NGD happens in July 2019 but it will likely be my second build and a gift to myself. I kicked off the build in August 2012 and need to finish it, if not to have a NGD then to say that completing the first wasn’t a fluke and that the experience showed signs of improvement in my ability to complete things that I set out to accomplish.

That being said, I’d love to have a Martin HD-35 or a custom guitar from Tim McKnight but really I have to feel worthy of it - and let’s face it, I already have a lot of guitars!

I guess my point is that I am learning to appreciate what I’ve got and that what I’m finding is really important about guitars is that the good ones are the ones that inspire you to play and that what is more important is keeping that song in your heart that will come out when you’re feeling inspired. A good guitar will help but it’s not the root cause of being good at playing. Just listen to music, tune yourself and play whatever will not get in the way of expressing yourself.

• Members
. . . Another issue with the one above was that by the time I sent it back after a week' date=' I had broken 3 high G strings. There's something going on at the saddle or tailpiece that isn't healthy for that string. . .[/quote']

Possibly. Breaking G octave strings isn't uncommon on 12-strings. Still, three in a week does seem a bit much.

• Members

Confirmed 12 strings can be a PIA. The 12 string I have is a Rickenbaker 330-12 in Jet Black.

Ricky strings are backwards, plus you'll want to add some compression and push to the amp. If you use a OD box to push the amp, just push it enough so it is not clean, yet not distorted.

If you ever have the money make the best change ever for that Gretsch, change the pickups to TV Jones pups I have a couple of Gretsch guitars and one has TV Jones pups, it really sounds great, but for some reason, the Gretsch TN Rose gets more play time. The Electromatics are decent, the Blacktop pups are not as sweet as Gretsch Hi FilterTrons, and the TV Jones is a bit even nicer in tone.

I have not bought a new guitar in a while, probably over 2 years. I'm waiting for a few things.

The last guitar I bought was a Rickenbacker 350v63. It's my first Ricky with Toaster pups. I like the toasters for what they are, there nothing wrong with the modern Ricky pups either.

Happy NGD for all that recently bought a new instrument.

Oh, on my acoustic list is a Martin 00028. Which might be my last acoustic guitar purchase ever.:idk:

Archived