Guitar Sound?

Freshii

• Members

Hi (was advised to try here), not sure if this is the place for this but hopefully someone from the community can help me. I am trying to find out what kind of guitar is played here. It doesn't have to be the exact model but maybe people can recognize the tone or have heard a similar tone (is this a warm tone?)

https://www.amazon.com/Acoustified-H.../dp/B01HDDTA34

Song # 4 (one day too late). Once you click on it you can hear a sample and the guitar can be heard well.

thanks again

• Members

I kinda guess that no two opinions on this subject will match. It is subjective... but I'll bite.

Pleasant ring, but no bass... no boom... no depth. That could just be the recording tho. My first impression is that it's a small body guitar, with a dry sounding tonewood... definitely not rosewood. Could be a cheap Harmony with a flatsawn pine top. Could be Martin mahogany 00. Could be a custom made Olson with an unobtainablewood top. But... odds are it's a Taylor 312ce.

Of course I could be wrong and it's actually a Collings rosewood dreadnought.

Go play some guitars and make your own decision.

I suppose you could try to contact the artist and ask her. :idea:

• Members

Just listening to the recording, there's no way to tell. It could be any brand, any kind of wood, solid or laminate, classical, folk, or acoustic-electric. The sound has been so processed that it's denatured beyond all recognition. And guitars can have completely different voices depending on who's playing them, who's doing the recording, and whether the studio has a so-called wet or dry design.

And even with an accurate, true-to-life signal, ears are funny things. There's was a heated debate at another guitar forum a while back on whether Grady Martin was playing steel strings or nylon on Marty Robbins' "El Paso." A bunch of folks that included some very experienced pros who prided themselves on their audio acumen couldn't even agree on whether they were hearing steel or nylon strings.

If the question were mahogany versus rosewood, they'd still be at it.

• Moderators

I agree with Del, it's pretty much impossible to tell. There's just too many variables to account for. The same guitar can also sound drastically different using different microphones and different mic positions.

• Members

Can't be exactly sure but it sounds like aTakamine EF75M TT with elixir phosphor bronze nanoweb lights 12-53. Probably using an Electro-Harmonix 9Volt battery which is the classic carbon zinc type that has a higher internal resistance than an alkaline battery. This reduces circuit loading, especially in vintage effects pedals, to provide the best tone and dynamics.

It sounds like it's also mic'd with an MXL cheap microphone.

You will have to try it for yourself, because I'm only guessing based on years of experience listening to guitars.

• Members
Can't be exactly sure but it sounds like aTakamine EF75M TT with elixir phosphor bronze nanoweb lights 12-53. Probably using an Electro-Harmonix 9Volt battery which is the classic carbon zinc type that has a higher internal resistance than an alkaline battery. This reduces circuit loading, especially in vintage effects pedals, to provide the best tone and dynamics.

You will have to try it for yourself, because I'm only guessing based on years of experience listening to guitars.

YAY!!!!

No one (other than the people present when it was recorded) will be able to tell you with any certainty beyond "steel string acoustic" - it does sound rather like a smaller bodied instrument (not a lot of bass), but as others have pointed out, that could be due to the way the guitar tracks were EQ'ed in the recording.

• Members

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Archived