Thinking about buying a 2010 Guild 12 string

bones4fido

• Members
From the original owner who doesn't play' date=' No returns. I've only seen pictures. Lives in Florida, so I wouldn't have to worry about it having been humidified. No structural warping of any kind and loosely tuned. [b']What could go wrong?[/b]

I don't know.

• Members

I owned an F412 for a number of years and nothing went wrong that wasn't caused by human hands. Guild wrote the book on 12-string guitars and they are built the way a highly stressed guitar should be - stoutly. They're heavy, too. All I can say is find a tech who knows them because the dual truss rod can turn a tech into something less than that quickly if he does not know how to adjust them. I'd get in touch with the Guild forum and get a recommendation for an experienced tech who you can contact and ask what you will of him. I would not rely on the forum itself for answers because, well, people on forums are mostly wannabe-smart but usually aren't. That much you can rely on.

Good luck and have fun with that guitar. Oh, BTW, there are no crappy seats in an audience when there's a Guild 12 on stage but at a jam you'll need to back off a lot or drown everyone out.

• Members

I've worked on a number of Guild 12 strings and think the world of them. I can probably sum up the things that might be wrong with a 7 year old one in two words - neck angle. If that is OK you should be good to go.

The dual truss rods lets you (or an experienced tech) put a little more relief in the bass side which can be nice. Guilds and Taylors are the only 12's that I would routinely suggest be tuned to concert but you may find you like it down tuned

ps - welcome to HCAG Bones. How about some pic's when you get it

From the original owner who doesn't play' date=' No returns. I've only seen pictures. Lives in Florida, so I wouldn't have to worry about it having been humidified. No structural warping of any kind and loosely tuned. What could go wrong?[/quote']

No returns? No way. Sorry, but that's usually a deal-breaker for me. YMMV.

• Members

At least the seller should furnish a close up picture of the bridge and saddle with a straight edge laying on the frets. I would also suggest a close up picture of the frets themselves - particularly the first five. No picture, no way. Picture showing bad neck angle or worn frets - maybe - time for negotiation.

Archived