Can I put an ordinary boost pedal in front of my preamp?

Delmont

• Members

Hi!

I've started running my acoustic instruments through a BBE Acoustimax preamp.

The Acousticmax sounds great and works well - a keeper. But I wouldn't mind having a boost button for soloing in a couple of loud bands I'm in.

Would it work to just put an ordinary electric guitar boost pedal, probably dialed to just a slight boost, between the instrument and the preamp?

Thanks!

• Members

Yuck. Then I'd have to use transformers for XLR and quarter-inch matching.

I've been told at another forum that I should use a TRS loop. And I don't know anything about looping.

The preamp does have a TRS loop jack, but I don't know how to use it. I only see one FX jack, so how can I make a loop? Googling, I've read that a Y cable is used. Do I set up the Y cable sort of like a stethoscope, where the long end goes into the effects loop jack and the Y plugs go into the boost pedal jacks?

If yes, how do I know which Y plug goes into which booster jack?

Anyone know how it's done?

=O.

• Members

What is your preamp's max signal In? My understanding is the pre takes about a 1.0 volt P-P signal max. The boost pedal's output may exceed that. Why is there an Out problem with the BBE? Which Out are you using? The XLR or the 1/4". You should not have an impedance matching problem using the 1/4" line out of the BBE to your amp if that's what you mean. The guitar to the BBE Input, then Out to the boost pedal and then the amp all utilize 1/4" jacks.

• Members

As long as you don't overdrive the pre- you should be fine. If you do you'll get nasty distortion. As Idunno pointed out you need to keep it below 1 Volt or so. If you can reduce the output of your instrument's pickup and turn up the gain of your pre- that will help. The key, as usual, is moderation.

• Members

Thanks!

Yeah, I really don't think I'll be pushing it hard. Just want a little nudge for acoustic solo riffing. The resos might not need it at all - those things can get LOUD - but flattop and mando could use a little nudge.

Anyhow, I emailed BBE, and their guy said their booster, the Boosta Grande, can go before the preamp. I suppose that means that ANY booster can go before the preamp.

On the other hand, a TRS Y-cable is only about $7 . . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ended up getting a BBE Boosta Grande and a TRS/XLR cable. Had a gig Thursday night, and it worked well, though it did fatten the tone slightly. At some point, might move the BG to my electric pedal board and try an EQ pedal.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It helped!

• Members
Ended up getting a BBE Boosta Grande and a TRS/XLR cable. Had a gig Thursday night, and it worked well, though it did fatten the tone slightly. At some point, might move the BG to my electric pedal board and try an EQ pedal.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It helped!

An EQ pedal will help with cutting through, i.e, boosting specific frequencies such as adding midrange punch. If that's what you want/need go for it, otherwise a boost makes more sense.

• Members
Hi!

I've started running my acoustic instruments through a BBE Acoustimax preamp.

The Acousticmax sounds great and works well - a keeper. But I wouldn't mind having a boost button for soloing in a couple of loud bands I'm in.

Would it work to just put an ordinary electric guitar boost pedal, probably dialed to just a slight boost, between the instrument and the preamp?

Thanks!

I use the LR Baggs Venue for some stuff and the Fishman Spectra DI.

I'm glad you like the BBE.

I would put the boost pre amp after thee BBE.

I will recommend the MRX Micro amp, which I have on my electric set up.

It doesn't color the sound and is a decent boost. That way you're not driving the BBE, but boosting the signal that comes after the pre.

New they are 80 bucks, used even cheaper. You can test drive one at any music store, most have them in stock.

Just my 2 cents.

They look like ths.

MicroAmp-large.jpg?8d9ab1dc6d

Archived