If I decide to sell my D-28 . . .

Delmont

• Members

. . . should I put work into it first?

It's a '71 with reattached binding, a replacement pickguard, and an added neck heel strap button. It doesn't have a pickup. There are no cracks and very little bellying. It has a few dings and the typical amount of wear and checking. It's in its original case.

It plays well. The big issues are that, though very playable, the saddle is as low as it can go, the frets are worn flat, and the neck is due for a reset.

It's my #2 acoustic guitar, and now that I'm retired, I could use some money. So I'm thinking of selling it. Which is likely to net me more cash: investing in the neck, frets, and saddle or selling it as-is?

Thanks!

• Members

One thing about standard Martins, their value is steady and predictable.

In its present condition, that guitar will likely sell for $1100, plus or minus a couple of hundred.

You could spend over a thousand fixing its issues, and then it might bring $1400, plus or minus a couple of hundred.

You do the math.

• Members

I understand both sides of that question since I also have a 1974 D-18 that I'm thinking about selling one of these days. However I have had the work done on mine and I have taken it to a local bluegrass jam where it was passed around. The feeling was that it was a killer guitar and one of the guys expressed an interest in buying it.

Usually I'm on the other side of this questions - someone asks my opinion of a guitar they are thinking about buying. I'm pretty good at pointing out all the things that are wrong and I have good references on what it will cost to fix them - I often suggest that they negotiate at least part of that with the seller.

This is a really good overview of what to look for

http://www.bryankimsey.com/70s_D28/index.htm

and here is what it typically costs to fix

http://www.bryankimsey.com/2015%20Price%20List.pdf

• Members

I just did a setup on a 1968 D-35 (yes, a real Brazilian one) that was bought new by the guy who brought it to me. It has had its bridge replaced and neck reset under warranty and has been refretted a couple of times (at the owner's expense). When it had the last refret the board was carefully leveled - even with a non adjustable truss rod this little jewel only had 4 thousands relief.

After doing my work I had to keep it for a couple of days to make sure everything was OK. My wife walked into the music room while I was playing it and said "wow, that things go a lot of bass..."

Whats a Brazilian D35 in VG condition worth - 5K, 10K?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

to the best of my knowledge -Martin is no longer doing neck resets as part of their warranty service -

a real deal breaker when buying a new Martin - Im not an expert on their warranties but this has been discussed on other forums

about Martin not doing them as standard practice anymore -guess their getting alot of them

Archived