I've never owned a Martin guitar, played a couple for a short time, not long enough to really get a good impression. Tell me your impression

crustoleum

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The 000-28EC's got mixed reviews when they first came out, the word was that the good ones were very good but there were some duds. It will be a very different guitar from your Epi's - definitely play them side by side and decide based on what you feel and here. If its a used guitar be sure to check all the suspect stuff - neck angle, frets, action.

In answer to your banner question, I am a big fan of Martins, particular vintage ones. I think the new ones are fine but again, you need to play each one and decide. My personal favorite guitar is a clone of the 000-28. FWIW I play fingerstyle and blues, like long scale small bodied 12 fretters.

Let us know what you think.

• Members
I played an Eric Clapton signature thing' date=' for about 5 minutes, was nice. I have an unplayed Epiphone Masterbuilt DR500MCE (I actually have 2) with case. Thinking about a trade in[/quote']

My first Martin was a MC 28, which I still have. It like this guitar a lot. It's got all the bottom end of a dreadnought, but it's not as physically deep. More mids than something like a D28.

After own this guitar for 15 years or so, my luthier said it needed a neck reset. Since he is an authorized Martin repair center, Chris Martin IV covered the neck reset for nuttin and also sprung for a neck bridge and saddle. It was a real common issue with the MC 28, and Martins first attempt at a cut away. I have since had it refretted.

I turned around a bout two Martins, the first one being a 00016 with rosewood back and sides. I liked this Martin so much I sold a Taylor I had and bought another one with electronics to gig out with. The Taylor was nice too.

If I buy another Martin I will consider the M28 or M36 without a cutaway, or 00028 Standard, as I like the narrower fret board.

I like many Martin guitars, as I do many other manufactures, such as Gibson, Collins.

To me there warranty is worth it's weight in gold, but that can be subjective if the price is right in the used market.

My philosophy is, you only live once. So if you love the Martin and it speaks to you, go for it.

• Members

If you get a "good one" (see Freeman's post), the 00028EC is an excellent guitar. Bear in mind, it's very different from your Masterbilt. It's a smaller guitar with a different character. If it's what you want, and it speaks to you, and you can afford it, then go for it.

• Members

I've never played the Clapton model, but you can trust what Freeman and DeepEnd say. To answer your question about my impression of Martin:

Martin has three faces.

One is the core group that been around for decades. The D-28 and D-18 are popular for good reasons. Martin's established smaller models are likewise wonderful. New or used, any model that's been around since before the Beatles is probably a good guitar if it's in good shape.

Another face is its dozens of newer lower-priced guitars meant to capture a wider market. With those, you're paying a lot just for the Martin logo. Staying on this side of the Pacific, you'd get more guitar for your money with, say, a Larrivee, Auden, Taylor, Guild, or one of the Godin companies: Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie, or Seagull.

The third face is for people with more disposable income than makes any sense: very expensive small-batch guitars whose marketing relies on snob appeal. Here again, you'd be better off going elsewhere. This is the golden age of lutherie. Amazing guitar builders dot the American landscape these days. Again, that will give you more guit bang for the buck.

Let us know what you end up doing. Happy hunting!

• Members

I've played several different models of Martin guitars over the years and they have been mostly OK. I've also played lots of other makes and models of guitars that cost substantially (and I mean substantially) less than Martins and most of them have been OK too.

• Members

I have been thinking about getting a Martin. Thing is, I have a very specific idea of the tone it should have. Punchy, loud, and a really warm, round sounding high E and B. Of the ones I have played recently in shops only 1 had this tone and the asking price was north of $3,500 which is more than I want to spend.

I have played lower end Martins and was not particularly impressed. IFrom what I have played in the sub 1K range I think there are better choices.

• Members

A couple more ideas. If you want something "like a Martin," check out Blueridge. They'll get you most of the way there for about 1/5 to 1/4 what you'd pay for the 00028EC. The BR-163, for example, will run you around $700 and the BR-163A, which adds an Adirondack top, will run a bit under $1000.

• Members

For the money you will not finde a better all around acoustic Electric than the "INSPIRED BY A 1964 TEXAN" by EPIPHONE. I have owned one of these and for the bucks you sure do get a lot of bang!. after setting up my axe it played perfectly and did everything I needed in an axe. took it to nashville and it kept up with three thousand dollar guitars. .

• Members
I have been thinking about getting a Martin. Thing is, I have a very specific idea of the tone it should have. Punchy, loud, and a really warm, round sounding high E and B. Of the ones I have played recently in shops only 1 had this tone and the asking price was north of $3,500 which is more than I want to spend.

I have played lower end Martins and was not particularly impressed. IFrom what I have played in the sub 1K range I think there are better choices.

You're right. They're not impressive. If I were looking for a new folk guitar, it would probably be an Auden, Guild, Larrivee, or Simon & Patrick.

(Just test-drove an Auden, and it was just plain old amazing.)

• Members
OK' date=' thanks again. I know this has been discussed, infinitely, but Matin or Taylor. I had a Westerly Guild 6 string,, had :( was OK, action seemed "stiff", probably the strings...was OK I'll have to think about that...[/quote']

The Guild may have needed a setup or it may have had heavier strings than you're used to. Delmont makes a good point about Larrivée. Excellent guitars made in North America. I also thought of Eastman but while they make OM style guitars I couldn't find a rosewood model so there's nothing similar to the 00028EC.

• Members
OK' date=' thanks again. I know this has been discussed, infinitely, but Matin or Taylor. I had a Westerly Guild 6 string,, had :( was OK, action seemed "stiff", probably the strings...was OK I'll have to think about that...[/quote']

Always remember: MY perfect guitar isn't YOUR perfect guitar. I've had two Westerly Guilds - a sixties, which I sold years ago, and a seventies, which is my go-to guitar now - even above my seventies Martin, which I should probably sell while it's still in good shape.

I'm not an artiste. I go for playability first, then volume, then warmth. Though it's embarassing to admit I'm this shallow, look matters to me, too, which is why I like old-school Guilds, Martins, and Gibsons. They LOOK like guitars!

• Members
A couple more ideas. If you want something "like a Martin' date='" check out Blueridge. They'll get you most of the way there for about 1/5 to 1/4 what you'd pay for the 00028EC. The BR-163, for example, will run you around $700 and the BR-163A, which adds an Adirondack top, will run a bit under $1000.[/quote']

They are good, you're right, but I always feel squeemy about buying new stuff from across the Pacifc. Especially when there are so many cool choices this side of Maui.

How can I play songs of freedom on a sweatshop (or worse) instrument?

I know: Some shops are better than others. It's fairly easy to research clothes makers, but I don't know of anyone who tracks labor practices of Asian guitar factories.

• Members

Martin and Taylor, along with Gibson and Guild, are the four big American manufacturers. Martin and Taylor have some models made in Mexico, Gibbie and Guild have some made across the Pacific Rim. Martin and Taylor are known for their construction quality and for their warranty and customer support.

People feel that they have their own unique sounds - Martins are often called traditional and Taylors more modern. Obviously you can play almost anything on almost any guitars but you tend to see some of the modern fingerstyle players using taylors, while more bluegrass players gravitate to Martins. Martin adheres to its traditional construction methods that date back almost 200 years, Bob Tayor has "engineered" many new design elements into his guitars. Both are excellent, as are certain models of Gibson and Guild, you just need to play them.

Playability is somewhat affected by construction but largely a matter of how the neck angle and geometry is "set" - we refer to the process of adjusting the action to each player as a "setup". I contend that, unless there are structural issues, almost any guitar can be set to play fairly easily. I pay special attention to condition of frets, whether the guitar is properly humidified and the angle of the neck and bridge. Once those things are OK (and only then) I try to adjust the playing action to suit the owner - I'll spend a lot of time talking to her or watching her play. Some guitars come from the factory set up better than others, I will frequently make adjustments in a new guitar.

Whether you want to only consider a domestic guitar or will consider one made in another part of the world is up to you - there are lots of factors and this isn't the place to discuss them. I prefer domestic but there are some darn good guitars coming from the PacRim - Blueridge, Recording King, Epiphone, many others. My suggestion here is to play everything you can and form your own opinion.

Your last option is the wonderful world of small production companies and luthier build guitars - again, we can discuss that if you are interested,

Final advice is to play everything you can anytime you can. Guitars are wonderful and we are in a second Golden Era of really truely great guitars. Have fun!

• Members
They are good, you're right, but I always feel squeemy about buying new stuff from across the Pacifc. Especially when there are so many cool choices this side of Maui.

How can I play songs of freedom on a sweatshop (or worse) instrument?

I know: Some shops are better than others. It's fairly easy to research clothes makers, but I don't know of anyone who tracks labor practices of Asian guitar factories.

I checked out Canadian Simon & Patrick and the Showcase Rosewood Concert seems very nice. I haven't played one but it looks positively yummy. I loves me some slot head. ;)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32055165[/ATTACH]

The OP could easily score one for well under $1300. The Larrivée OM-40R runs around $1500 and the OM-09 is around $2500. Both are viable options for way less than the 00028EC.

• Members

I haven't played that particular model but I have played and worke on a number of Art and Lutherie guitars (owners of Simon & Patrick). I would suggest playing before you commit.

Same thing with Larrivees - I put them in the more "modern" category. Remember that the 000-28EC is a reproduction of a preward small bodied Martin in Claptons collection - if the OP likes that one he may not like some of the others. Once again, play everything.

• Members

Not saying any of these are exact replacements, just that the OP would be wise to consider--and play--a few options before he drops $3800 on a guitar. My suggestions are all small bodied spruce/rosewood models which makes them superficially similar--and nothing more--to the 00028EC.

Archived