Crate CA6110D - No HeadPhone Output

jagiger

NEVER connect a speaker output to an input on ANYTHING other than a speaker cabinet.

It's the electronic equivalent of trying to drive a semi truck through a mouse hole. You'll almost certainly release the magic smoke, and we all know that without the magic smoke, no electronic device can work.

(IOW, if you do that, you'll fry both the stereo, and probably the amp too.)

If the amp has a LINE OUT, you can safely use that... but not a SPEAKER OUT.

• Members
A better idea is to fix the headphone output. I tried to download a schematic for your amp (they are available on line) but it was a bit of a hassle - take it to a good amp tech and get if fixed correctly.

The OP's amp doesn't have a headphone jack so there's nothing to fix. Here's a link to the manual: http://www.crateamps.com/pdf/manuals/CA6110DG_OM.pdf. Scroll down to page 4 and you'll see the top panel. Note there's no headphone jack. Go to the next page and you'll see a pair of ''Line out'' connections, one 1/4'' and one XLR. The OP wants (at least I hope it's what he wants) to connect the ''Line out'' to his stereo and use its headphone jack. As Phil noted, the amp also has an external speaker jack and I hope the OP isn't planning on using it.

• Members
Which all begs the question of why Jagiger wants to listen to an acoustic guitar through headphones.

So what's your scheme, J?

I wondered the same thing but I figured the best approach was to answer the question that actually got asked. If I had to guess I'd say he/she probably wants to hear the various effects (reverb, delay, chorus) without disturbing the neighbors. In any event, the OP hasn't been back in a couple of days so we may never know.

• Members
Nothing' date=' and I mean nothing, beats a pair of cans for monitoring your playing quality. I use them all the time. If you're a picker the cans let you know where your dynamics are.[/quote']

Hm. I don't get it. Put on headphones to play a folk guitar? I've never heard of that. How can the sound of your guitar through pickups, amp, and drivers be truer than the sound of your guitar through thin air?

• Members

You won't get it until you finger pick with fingernails and a thumb pick into cans. Cans will tell you what's wrong with your fingernails that's affecting your attack. The cans will better reveal your flat picking has a sweep to it that's causing unwanted noise across the wound strings, or your beveled edge is perhaps a wee bit too sharp. Cans will make the smallest clam much more discernible.

Plus, I don't play through thin air. I don't play acoustically, ever, and use the cans to monitor my dynamics at can levels rather than room levels. Everything I do is on a plugged nylon string classical now. It used to be on a steel string but the cans, clearly sampling the effect of steel through the Piezo source, put me on a search for another sound not so metallic. Ever listened to Stephen Stills' Piezo-equipped Martins? Not acoustic by any stretch. What it is lacks defining other than perhaps as a precursor sound to EDM. I found that nylon is not as poorly treated by Piezo so I went with that, plugged, and the cans let me fine-tune the effects I use. Nylon's response is much more intolerant of poorly maintained fingernails and cans amplify that.

• Members

Thanks for all the great input!! Regarding listening to my acoustic guitar through headphones, I was actually hoping to hear the ipod input that I wanted to run through the amp so I could play along. It's mainly rock acoustic guitar anyway.

• Members

Interesting! I think you're a more serious player than I am.

Never heard Stills do that, never had a piezo, do play finger style and other styles, don't like plugging in if I don't have to, don't play nylon.

Sometimes I record myself and listen to that, and that gives me an idea of how I sound. But even if I didn't record, I'd be more comfortable with the guitar-to-air-to-ears method. My playing is one giant Twenty-Thousand-Leagues-Under-the-Sea-size clam anyhow.

But cans work for you, and that's what matters. Keep on pluckin'!

Archived