Need some pickup recommendations

Telecruiser

• Members

I am thinking about getting me a Martin 000-28 for playing live. As I am a guitar player first, vocalist second the reproduction of the instrument is foremost. I have a Pendulum SPS-1 preamp into a JBL PRX 612 PA but a good pickup system is where it should start. I presently use a Martin 000-16 with a K&K pickup with built in preamp (model?). It works OK but I was wondering what else is out there that would bring out the best in the Martin? My musical styles are Jerry Redd/Atkins thumbpick, Doc Watson flatpick along with blues, R&R, bebop, instrumentals etc.

• Members

I haven't experienced any pickups that are likely to make an immediate difference over and above the K&K, but I also have an internal mic that I can blend in to provide more acoustic sound if the stage levels aren't too high.

A bit of compression and if feasible run your guitar with a touch of stereo reverb to the PA.

• Members

I install a fair number of pickups for my local music store. The two I get asked for most often are the Fishman Matrix Infinity (a basic undersaddle transducer with on board preamp and tone/volume) and the K&K Pure Mini (a sound board transducer usually install with no on board electronics). When you buy a Martin with a factory pickup it is usually a Fishman so some Martin owners ask for those because "its what the factory uses". As you probably know, piezo UST's have a reputation for "quack" and they can be a little bit problematic getting all the strings balanced - you need a flat bottom on the saddle slot and a flat bottom on the saddle. There is also the minor problem with a UST in that you are "shimming" the saddle - you'll need to take approximately 0.050 off the bottom, which usually isn't a problem.

The rest of the installation of a Fishman involves drilling a small hole thru the bridge and bridge plate, reaming the end pin jack hole out to 15/32 (or 1/2), and sticking the battery bag holder and little electronics package to the inside of the guitar (they supply double sticky tape - it some times comes loose). There are other models of Fishman, including one with a little internal mic on a gooseneck which you can blend with the UST (the one I installed did have more of a tendency to feed back).

The K&K consists of three little piezo transducers that are glued to the bridge plate with gel CA. A little jig is supplied, its not hard but I certainly recommend doing several dry runs. There are no electronics but you will need to ream the endpin jack as with the Fishman. I sincerely recommend taking that to someone with the correct reamer - it can be done with a uni-bit but you risk damaging your 000. The K&K will require an external preamp or DI.

One of the Martin mechanics that I highly admire is Bryan Kimsey. He has done neck resets and some other work on both my vintage Martins, here is what he recommends and say about pickups

http://www.bryankimsey.com/kkpups/index.htm

• Members

I'd do the Matrix Infinity

A buddy of mine has a couple of Martins with Seymour Duncan DTar Wavelentgh pups. They sound great. 18 volts of headroom

Multi_Source_final.jpg

After you install a pick up, go get a Fishman Spectra DI, it will be a game changer. You will thank me later.

auraspectrumdi1_large.jpg

• Members

Do you use the Pendulum live? That's a pretty fancy pre for acoustics.

Yes, I will be using it live. It was specifically designed for acoustic instruments. Yeah, they ain't cheap but I didn't pay the retail price for it, I bought it off ebay for a $1000.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Pendulum-SPS-1-Acoustic-Preamp-w-Pick-up-Mic-Preamp-Module-and-120v-230v-s/252954230723?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pendulum-audio-sps-1-stereo-preamp-pickup-mic-module-acoustic-dual-source-bass/201964055805?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

• Members

• Members
I have never used one, but the iRig acoustic digital pickup looks really interesting. Here is a YouTube video which demos several different acoustics using this pickup

Thanks! It looked so interesting that I ordered one to try. It was only a $100 for everything. I'll combine it with my K&K.

• Members

Thanks! It looked so interesting that I ordered one to try. It was only a $100 for everything. I'll combine it with my K&K.

I've used a SBT pickup and either an internal or external condenser mic for solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar, run through a Pendulum SPS-1 with a TC Electronics M3000 in the effects loop, next to a Bryston 3B SST power amp and last to a pair of Daedalus W803 passive 3-way speakers on sticks. Other than changing a couple of components over the years, I've used this system for nearly 20 years. I see no reason to change this signal chain. It's that good.

• Members
Yes it is. Although it was initially expensive' date=' it still has significant value and I've probably saved a bunch of $$ not having to buy and sell over and over in search of a great live rig.[/quote']

Got any recordings of your playing? I'd love to hear.

Thanks

Archived