How much is the YAMAHA FG-375S if I will sell it?Please help, it has some minor scratches but the sound is still great

Rhayezelle

• Members

I'm going to be a bit hard nosed about this. Yamaha FG guitars are wonderful and the S at the end of the model number means its solid top, which is a good thing. If the condition is really good then it could be worth the $250 to 450 others have quoted.

However, if the neck angle is bad (which means the action is high and the saddle is very low and can't be lowered more) then the usual repair is a neck reset, which on a normal guitar runs about $350. The problem with old Yamies is that they aren't "normal" - is it very hard to get the neck off. Some people say they can do it, I tried on my 150 and had to resort to major surgery. Short story, I believe that a Yamaha with a bad neck angle is pretty much worthless - I might give 50 bucks for one just to practice my resetting technique on but basically I try to avoid them.

Forumite CTGull seems to have good luck resetting the neck on them and has started a forum dedicated just to FG Yamahas, he would be a good person to contact

http://yamahavintagefg.boards.net/

• Members

I'm also going to add a funny footnote. I've been thinking about clearing out some guitars before my heirs have to do it and my old FG-150 is one that is slated to go. Mine is an amazingly good example of these old plywood cheapies - I've done the reset, frets, tuners, and while the body shows that its been played its still pretty darn nice looking. I've actually seen this model on evil-bay for as much as 600 bucks.

I think that is silly but I realize that some of it is nostalgia - someone remembers their old Yamie from college days and now that they are a successful (fill in blank) they want to recreated that little bit of their youth. So the search is on for an old FG and they are willing to bid the price up.

I've decided that when I sell mine if the prospective buyer shows up in a new Accura or Bimmer the price is $500. If they are obviously a working musician who needs a great sounding axe (and are driving a beater Subaru) then the price is 200. And I'll be a lot happier if its in the hands of a real player.

• Members
I'm also going to add a funny footnote. I've been thinking about clearing out some guitars before my heirs have to do it and my old FG-150 is one that is slated to go. Mine is an amazingly good example of these old plywood cheapies - I've done the reset, frets, tuners, and while the body shows that its been played its still pretty darn nice looking. I've actually seen this model on evil-bay for as much as 600 bucks.

I think that is silly but I realize that some of it is nostalgia - someone remembers their old Yamie from college days and now that they are a successful (fill in blank) they want to recreated that little bit of their youth. So the search is on for an old FG and they are willing to bid the price up.

I've decided that when I sell mine if the prospective buyer shows up in a new Accura or Bimmer the price is $500. If they are obviously a working musician who needs a great sounding axe (and are driving a beater Subaru) then the price is 200. And I'll be a lot happier if its in the hands of a real player.

The one vintage Yamaha I'm currently looking for is the FG-150. Unfortunately my current guitar budget (set by the wife) is SELL SOME, not buy.

• Members

The one vintage Yamaha I'm currently looking for is the FG-150. Unfortunately my current guitar budget (set by the wife) is SELL SOME, not buy.

Monetary value has little to do with the mental value. My current favorite guitar is a Yamaha FG-110 that cost me $40. Recently I took it to the local guitar shop, the guy played it and shook his head. He said it looks like a pawn shop guitar and it shouldn't should like this. Clarity, sustain, resonance. It's certainly not the best guitar in existence, but I couldn't find a guitar in their acoustic room that played quiet fingerstyle as nice. Many of them would blow it away with strumming with a pick. It has it's place.

Archived