One last NGD for Rocktober! Epiphone PRO-1VS

epi56ebony

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31843280[/ATTACH]

I was in Guitar Center after work and really fell in love with this Epiphone PRO-1VS. I was first attracted to the old school headstock and then played it and noticed how easy it was to play. Frets were smooth, with no buzzing and low action, such a nice entry level guitar for $99. Here's the kicker...it uses 9 gauge strings made by Epiphone. This makes the guitar really easy to play. So far the only place I saw them for sale is in Canada at Best Buy and McQuade. You also string it up the same as an electric, there are holes in the bottom of the saddle to run the string through.

Anyone know where they sell Epiphone Ultra Light acoustic 9 gauge strings? There a photo of the Epiphone string package with the little foldout tied to the tuner. Also the guitar is short scale. This guitar would be really a nice starter for a beginner. Again I have to emphasize how odd it is to have 9 gauge on a dread. GC did not sell a 9 gauge acoustic string pack, only 10s. But this might be Epiphone's genius?? to use super ultra light strings so the beginner doesn't get discouraged.

With a pick the guitar sounds thin with a very slight shrill /harsh tone. A lot of these low end guitars have this sound but for this guitar it's not off putting. Just more high end with almost no bass. Strumming with your fingernails and fingerpicking gives the guitar a much warmer tone.

But when you play the guitar, there's something about it that makes you really like it [at least for me] and given the cost, just made a blind buy.

Phil O'Keefe did a review on the guitar on this forum which I read in GC.and ithe review was mostly positive. Again his comments on the 9 gauge really stood out to me.

Guitar is all laminate but still has nice projection. I once had a Martin DXM, all laminate, made in the USA and it had a really dead murky sound. I think scalloping the braces on this guitar really helps. The braces on the DXM were not scalloped.

I believe this Epi PRO-1 is exclusive to GC.

A great beginners guitar especially for the price. The $99 was a sale price, the regular price i think is $119.

Here's pic, so it DID HAPPEN! [ATTACH=CONFIG]n31843278[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31843279[/ATTACH]

• Members
. . . I have to emphasize how odd it is to have 9 gauge on a dread. GC did not sell a 9 gauge acoustic string pack, only 10s. But this might me Epiphone's genius?? to use super ultra light strings so the beginner doesn't get discouraged. . . .

. . . A great beginners guitar especially for the price. The $99 was a sale price, the regular price i think is $119. . . .

Congratulations and Happy New Guitar Day. The regular price is $139 (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...stic-Guitar.gc) so you got a deal. The lightest acoustic strings I've seen were 10's but I think you're on target with the appeal to beginners thing. Unfortunately, switching to anything like a normal gauge will require a setup and diminish the guitar's playability. I guess they're hoping anyone who buys one will be semi-used to playing before the first string change so moving to a heavier gauge won't be as much of a challenge.

• Members

WhooHoo...Happy NGD and Congrats!! Enjoy your Epi, they're sweet gits.

Here is where you might start for 9 gauge strings: http://search.juststrings.com/search?catalog=juststrings&query=.009&x=0&y=0

Cannibalizing a 12-string set might be a way to go? Heck...I'd do that if it was all I could find for the strings I want.

Enjoy your new git!!!

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Glad you're still enjoying it. I was curious about these - I guess the headstock attracted my curiosity. Looked up a few demos on YT a few days back, and I thought they sounded quite good. I had no idea the guitar was loaded with such light strings. For that matter, I really had no idea that anyone makes 9's for acoustics. Interesting.

• Members

I think some of you may know , Epiphone guitars make me well , happy I guess :) I see the "sales pitch" on these is that they are "easy to play" and "do not discourage beginners" , among other things. . I do like going to GC there are 2 here in MA within 45 minute drive. I (usually) always spend well , not too much , but I do spend , when I go there , every 4-5 months , or so . My little bro lives close to one , S. Attleboro so when I visit him , a few times a year, I stop in , right off US route 1 , easy to get to the other is off of Mass route 3 , heading out of Boston , towards Cape Cod (Braintree) , and the one in Boston too :) I may try one if they have them there , the next time I stop by , most likely.... a month or so , maybe sooner :) I don't drive , too much ... my d in law does sometimes :) She likes guitars too :)

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I've only had one issue with this guitar. I used to lean it up against the wall with the headstock on the wall and I think that bent the neck a bit and I had a lot of fret buzz.

Once I put it back into a guitar stand and left it alone of a few months it somehow straightened itself out and now plays great with no buzz.

One great thing about this guitar is I can use a capo and it stays in tune and no fret buzz.

I just leave the guitar out on the stand. I don't worry about it and it's my all time best beater!

Archived