VOM1T September 2016

garthman

• Members

Another month . . . . another VOM.

My submission this month is a song called "A Message To Pretty" by a band called Love. From their debut album entitled "Love" released in 1966.

https://app.box.com/s/sundfzl40w0s0iogx95lcxhflumgxqzf

Played on my Yamaha Pacifica 112 electric guitar through a 15w acoustic amp placed 3 foot behind me. Recorded with my computer mic and Audacity

• Members

Here's a song that just recently came back around in my mind. I had forgotten about it and played it many times in bar bands. It always went over pretty well. It is by the great Townes Van Zandt, but made famous back in the early 90's by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard. This is my warped version of it.

Recorded on my DP-008 in 16 bit and I puffed it up in Audacity to get it as loud as I could. I apologize for the vocals, but hey, this is the VOM1T.

I hope ya'll like it.

http://app.box.com/s/pawogd8ss9i6oqi92hx9cy60h6w48jrn

• Members

Howard, that's a great song and one of your best yet. Of course, I never heard of the group much less the song but that's what this event is partly about - new music. Nicely done. I do like the song a lot and will probably add it to my own list. Gotta love the lyrics -

Once I had a problem

Didn't know what to do

Now I've got no problems

All I had was you

• Members

My submission this month is a song called "A Message To Pretty" by a band called Love. From their debut album entitled "Love" released in 1966.

Played on my Yamaha Pacifica 112 electric guitar through a 15w acoustic amp placed 3 foot behind me. Recorded with my computer mic and Audacity

nice one Howard , you must have a very interesting album collection .

• Members
Here's a song that just recently came back around in my mind. I had forgotten about it and played it many times in bar bands. It always went over pretty well. It is by the great Townes Van Zandt, but made famous back in the early 90's by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard. This is my warped version of it.

Recorded on my DP-008 in 16 bit and I puffed it up in Audacity to get it as loud as I could. I apologize for the vocals, but hey, this is the VOM1T.

I hope ya'll like it.

nice performance and sound ,felt i was right inside the guitar .

• Members

It is an overture. It is 77 seconds long. It is my final recording on which I used my 1989 Ovation Elite SSB unplugged. (US-made, BTW)

The synths are: (mid-90's) Korg N364, and the immortal (1989) Kawai K1 for string sounds only.

Ovations have a fast release time. You can hear it on this recording, unlike Guilds, Martins or other premium brand flat-tops that can seem to resonate forever. A quick tail on a strummed chord is useful on some tunes. Oddly I like my Ovation's acoustic tone better than its plugged-in sound.

I think the sound is somewhere between a flat-top and an arch-top.

• Members

Hello Howard, Great sound and especially using your computer mic. I love the sound you get with the Pacifica, which I happen to think are excellent guitars. I really enjoyed it. As always, you have the most unique voice of all. It's your ace in the hole. Thumbs up, my friend!

• Members
RT1 - That's the best version of P&L I think I've laid ear to. Your guitar work is a great match and I'll probably steal the vibe to boost my version of it. Your vocals are just fine. Make no apologies for them. Well done.

I am proud to read your comment Joe. I always appreciated your perspective(s) and your abilities. I hold this in high regard, my friend. My voice has been a bit ragged for the past few weeks. I think I'm freakin' allergic to something, LOL!

• Members

Thanks catscurlyear, I appreciate your comment. I use my little Mackie mixer and some compression running into the Tascam DP-008 with my Audio Technica AT2020 and an undersaddle piezo plug in pickup. The compression is the trick because it balances the sound and gives it punch that I couldn't get otherwise. I then load the song into Audacity and use the "Amplify" effect and punch the volume as close to unity gain as I can get. Even though it is only 16 bit it packs a lot of punch.

• Members
just got back from 2 weeks traveling in france, so this song should be called "good bye sun" ,wow england is such a sh"t hole as regards the weather amongst other things . whipped out the old eko rio grande for this one .

https://app.box.com/s/wwqxml1s8s8gas6vr5f15h3al90cmaca

If I didn't already know better and just heard that song without any preliminary info, I would immediately have thought it to be Mark Knophler. No doubt! I really like your version and it definitely has that vibe. Thanks for posting that. It was excellent.

• Members
It is an overture. It is 77 seconds long. It is my final recording on which I used my 1989 Ovation Elite SSB unplugged. (US-made, BTW)

The synths are: (mid-90's) Korg N364, and the immortal (1989) Kawai K1 for string sounds only.

Ovations have a fast release time. You can hear it on this recording, unlike Guilds, Martins or other premium brand flat-tops that can seem to resonate forever. A quick tail on a strummed chord is useful on some tunes. Oddly I like my Ovation's acoustic tone better than its plugged-in sound.

I think the sound is somewhere between a flat-top and an arch-top.

As always, you have great style and a unique sound. I love the arrangement and the strings sound so cool. I would like to hear the rest of that some time. Great job!

• Members

Never heard this song before so I'm gonna say that this would be the one I'd put in rotation. Nicely done and, yea, a bit emotional. Few songs do that to this cur but, with two sons getting ready to fledge, mine would be Chapin's Cat's In The Cradle. I'll probably retire it from my list when they do. Good song, Gil.

• Members

I hope ya'll like it.

I am listening through my computer speakers. Not ideal but here are my critiques.

---

Howard: Guitar-playing and recorded sound of guitar are excellent. Vocal good too. I'd add reverb. But that's just me. I agree w/others - it's one of your best.

---

Idunno - guitar sounds great. I think a tad much on the reverb on voice. But that's just my impression.

Which Ovation? It was a black Venetian cutaway w/a shallow bowl. It had the multi-soundholes

in the wooden leafs. It looks like this - except it was made in USA.

ovation-celebrity-cdx48-5-black-w-soft-case-f-s-guiter-bass-from-japan-x404-b5f76cde4cb651d8274f5db69818bb29.jpg

If you can't hear the guitar, it is most prominent in the beginning and at the end. I am strumming

chords at points in the song. And the song ends with the Ovation sounding like a Jazzbox on

the final chord.

--

Catscurl: The EKO sounds fantastic. I used to own an EKO twelve-string way back. I loved it.

--

G6120 - You're a pro. Nothing to critique in your voice or playing. Good job.

T-E-L-E - I've never heard 'Little Wing' acoustically. You have a good voice. Good balance

between vocals & guitar.

I apologize if I missed anyone. It wasn't intentional.

• Members

garthman - Great song although I wasn't familiar with it.

recordingtrack1 - Very well done.

Idunno - Another great job.

catscurlyear - Agree with Idunno. The slower tempo gives it a bluesy quality.

Etienne Rambert - You sure give us our money's worth. I'm doing well to play one instrument. ;) Seriously, that was well written and played. I'd like to hear a longer version someday.

g6120 - Powerful, emotional song, done well.

Archived