Butterfly Finger Picks

Idunno

• Members

My nails are the only picks I use. I did buy a set of Alaska picks thinking they might be handy if I break a nail but, even though they are better than traditional finger picks, I couldn't get on with them - except they seem OK for use on the thumb.

• Members

As a fingerpicking enthusiast I'll give any product a try and honest response to anyone who might have the vaguest of interest. These things, like others that have gone before them, will appeal to many and not so much to others. I'm in the "others" category. They have a double wrap of solid wire that I call the pinch band portion of the pick. These don't readily expand to fit the finger yet they're not spring steel. To size one you can expect to deform the double-wrap completely and then attempt to return it to a circular shape that properly fits your finger with enough snugness to remain in place. Good luck with that. Then, the active portion of the pick that contacts the string is a single strand of solid wire that's supposed to nest beneath and be retained by your natural nail. I never got that far. It was a mission to make just one accommodate my little finger, where I need a boost in power to match the other fingernails (small nail, small sound), but I ran out of patience.

That said, I have very large fingers so the "normal" size of fingerpick made by this company may well be perfectly suitable for many.

Archived