What have you been playing lately?

EdBega

• Members

Working on "Cinncinnati Flow Rag" by Gary Davix, "Big Mountain Sunrise" by Larry Pattis and still struggling (but getting closer) with Chet's "Vincent: Starry Starry Night"

In the shop I've got a strange little acoustic that looks like an ES175 and an electric that looks a bit like a Les Paul (Jr)

IMG_1916_zps41feb21c.jpg

IMG_2037_zps82c325e6.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Yes' date=' it is. My family is sick of it though. I've already been to Carolina and back and they wish I'd get over it already! ;-)[/quote']

Yes. Learning a new song can be quite the bother on the family. I do it as often as I can. Balanced reciprocity and all that.

I've been plagued by quite a few songs from the day calling me back. I've just about got down Gordon Lightfoot's Minstrel Of The Dawn and Don Quixote (long) again. Harry Chapin's Cradle song is high on my son's list for me to do, which was kinda worn out but this new generation is dragging quite a bit of that stuff back out. Then there's a back-log of Paul Simon and Elton John stuff. I'm also close with Cat Steven's Sad Lisa, How Can I Tell You, Boy With The Moon And Star, Morning Has Broken...I used to play these fluidly but went into a very steep and focused writing mode before I closed shop for a quarter century. Now they're back.

• Members

I've been focused on John Mayer's "Stop This Train". Mayer used to drive me nuts with the insipidity of some of his early music (Your Body Is A Wonderland should be in the hall of shame), but starting with Continuum I think much of what he's written is pure genius. Anyway, I love both the instrumental arrangement and lyrics of "Stop This Train", so I've been obsessing over it.

• Members

One of the aspects of covering music is telling of the music of the last 5-10 years on the live gig circuit. I've been in that mix now for about a year and a half and in the 20-something bars there's nothing new playing. Early Michael Jackson, et al, is what people are hoofing it to on the dance floor scene. In the biker slime bars is George Thorogood, Seeger, etc, accompanying the Hessian wannabes playing pool. In the upper crusty establishments and wine bars it's 70's acoustic music being played by kids because that's what keeps them on the schedule. Talking young audiences, not Boomers.

Archived