VOM1T Again

garthman

• Members

Great song, Howard. Well done as usual. What are you playing?

In a strummy mood myself. This one dates back to around the turn of the century. It's played on a very jangly 12-string (Norman B20-12). I used some Radio Shack mics through a Behringer mini-mixer I had at the time. I don't remember what strings were used but they were probably D'Addario. And, it's a 1-take Mr Bones, wherever you are.

https://app.box.com/s/e8xjugrvmvewcshfjvpe

• Members

How many VOM's a month are there now?

garthman...like the guitar and the song overall very nice.

Idunno...great singing and that 12 string really sounded great...a little Gordon Lightfoot sound going on...nice.

• Members

I was going to record and post an original but things didn't work out. Maybe next month. Anyway, onward . . .

garthman - Well done. Hadn't heard that in forever. Thanks for sharing.

Idunno - Very nice. I don't recognize that one. Who did it originally? That Norman sounds very good. Seems to be mostly in tune. What went wrong? sm-wink

Freeman Keller - Always enjoy hearing your playing. Ya done good.

• Members

garthman...like the guitar and the song overall very nice.

Idunno...great singing and that 12 string really sounded great...a little Gordon Lightfoot sound going on...nice.

Hi tbry

Only one VOM per month - traditionally the 2nd weekend of the month.

Thanks for you kind words.

• Members
Great song' date=' Howard. Well done as usual. What are you playing? [/quote']

Thanks, Joe. The guitar is my "Kimbara" 12 string - bought used for £50 a few years ago - it's a standard dreadnought, spruce over mahogany (or similar wood - could be nato) model. I don't know how old it is - I'd guess 15 years or so. The top was starting to rise and one of the braces was split partially length ways. I glued the brace and fitted a strengthening strut made from 1 cm triangular doweling glued alongside the repaired brace and to the top. I also removed approx 5 mm of wood from the top of the bridge in the pin-hole area to get a better break angle of the strings at the saddle. My repairs seem to have stabilized the guitar and it plays well now. It's strung with nickel-steel wound 10 gauge strings and I keep it in standard E.

I'd never heard of the brand before - some brief info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimbara

. . . In a strummy mood myself. This one dates back to around the turn of the century. It's played on a very jangly 12-string (Norman B20-12). I used some Radio Shack mics through a Behringer mini-mixer I had at the time. I don't remember what strings were used but they were probably D'Addario. And, it's a 1-take Mr Bones, wherever you are.

https://app.box.com/s/e8xjugrvmvewcshfjvpe

Great song! - I'd not heard it before. And excellent vocals - not an easy song to sing.

• Members
Thanks for hosting, Garthman!

A piece I've been meaning to record for several months now, "para Manuel"

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12942375

Manuel Velazquez

b. Feb 20, 1917

d. April 7, 2014

Okay, that was beautiful and I'm not one to go around using the "B" word. I see Mr. Velasquez died recently. Is this a tribute? Did you write it? It made me sad to think of his passing. Again, very nice.

• Members

Thanks. I wish I still had that guitar. Couldn't tell you now why I sold it. I'm a Lightfoot fan. I recently got back into covering his stuff. I think Don Quixote and Minstrel Of The Dawn are two of my favorites.

• Members
MM is still touring the US drawing rocks with his students so here we go.

I do hope more people join in - VOM is one of the better things on the forum.

Here is:-

5D (Fifth Dimension) by The Byrds

https://app.box.com/shared/g9us193id9

Michael Martin is doing what? Drawing rocks? :freak: I thought he was teaching landscape architecture, or something to that effect. Then again, drawing rocks isn't too big a stretch.

• Members

Well, I guess I am odd man out this month, no 12-string recording for me! :)

Very nice work Howard, Joe, and Freeman......as per usual!

Joe, the song I posted was indeed intended as a tribute to the late Manuel Velazquez. He is one of the earliest and most prominent makers of classical guitars in the US. He was inspired by the great European luthiers.....Antonio de Torres, Santos Hernandos, and Hermann Hauser. Over the last 15 years I've become a curator of several of Manuel's beautiful guitars. I love the aesthetic, both visual and sonic, that he espoused. RIP Manuel.....

• Members
Hah!' date=' Marc breaks his silence and sends us a song. Cool. Always liked that song. Good work, too.[/quote']

Alas, it's something I recorded last year.

Since the wife & I opened a restaurant - no time to record music. No time for anything.

Etienne Rambert - Very original rendition. I enjoyed it. The chord progressions remind me of "Everybody's Talkin' At Me."

Yup. I took that little riff, slowed it down 10x, changed the finger-style a bit and that became the core of the arrangement. The rest of the song though, is just my idea of how to chord 'Red River Valley'

I'm in a hotel listening to VOM1T on HD280 headphones.

Garthman: Liked your voice on that song. Hear a lot of flange on the acoustic though. Gene Clark was a truly great, under-rated songwriter. The lyrics in that song are amazing. You do a good job singing them too.

Idunno: I like the sound of the guitar. And I wish I had a voice like yours.

Freeman: Nice playing. But I'm hearing flange on your guitar too. What did you record it on? Maybe it's my headphones.

Riffmeister Lives: Just beautiful. Really lovely. Your playing is very expressive on that tune, nothing technical about it. Just beautiful expression.

Hope I didn't leave anyone out. It wasn't by intention if I did.

• Members
. . . . . .Garthman: Liked your voice on that song. Hear a lot of flange on the acoustic though. Gene Clark was a truly great' date=' under-rated songwriter. The lyrics in that song are amazing. You do a good job singing them too. . . . . . . . .[/quote']

Thank you , Marc. The recording is a couple of years old. I do the song a couple of semitones higher these days - in fact I'm doing most of my songs one or two semitones higher these days.

Yeah. The "flange" thing has been mentioned before. There is certainly no flanging in the recording so I suspect it must be a factor of the recording instruments, ambiance and software. As with all my VOM recordings it's a one take using my little computer microphone and Audacity software. I'm just sitting about 3 feet in front of the mic and computer doing the take. I was strumming my 12 string guitar with the side of my thumb which is the way I mostly play it - that and fingerpicking.

So there you go - "The Mystery Of The Phantom Flanger", eh? (I notice you mention a similar effect on Freeman's piece - it would be interesting to know if he uses Audacity too.)

PS. I think 5D (Fifth Dimension) was one of McGuinn's songs.

Archived