In the market for a classical....

stevehollx

• Members

I've decided I'm not really happy with my steel 12 string. It was fun for a couple days, but I didn't like the super hard string tension caused by double the strings, not being able to bend strings, and not being able to play any lead work on it. So I think I'd be way more happy playing a classical instead--I've always loved the tone of them.

Ok my price range is flexible, but I'm thinking somewhere around $250 used. Not really a whole lot, since I'm mainly an electric player, but I hope it is enough to get a decent sounding/playing axe.

I definately want a lower cutaway in the guitar. I think that I may also want a round back for comfort (if it doesn't make the tone suck). I'd like something with good action, if possible.

Can someone point me in the general direction of what I should check out considerng my preferences?

Oh acoustic electric would be a nice touch, but not a necessity.

• Members

Originally posted by stevehollx

I've decided I'm not really happy with my steel 12 string. It was fun for a couple days, but I didn't like the super hard string tension caused by double the strings, not being able to bend strings, and not being able to play any lead work on it. So I think I'd be way more happy playing a classical instead--I've always loved the tone of them.

Ok my price range is flexible, but I'm thinking somewhere around $250 used. Not really a whole lot, since I'm mainly an electric player, but I hope it is enough to get a decent sounding/playing axe.

I definately want a lower cutaway in the guitar. I think that I may also want a round back for comfort (if it doesn't make the tone suck). I'd like something with good action, if possible.

Can someone point me in the general direction of what I should check out considerng my preferences?

Oh acoustic electric would be a nice touch, but not a necessity.

bending nylon strings is a futile endeavor (just in case that's a requirement for your new guitar)

I say keep the 12-string and get a nylon string guitar, too. Then pick up a couple of Ralph Towner recordings and woodshed for a few lifetimes! ;)

• 3 months later...
  • Members

$250 used might be an acceptable price point. But, beware.

A nylon string classical guitar should literally ring out with plenty of overtone on the unplayed strings. It should sound like it comes alive with a life of its own when played with bravado!

The bogus classical acoustics just don't compare.

So, go and play several in succession at the store to see what the difference is.

It is night and day.

I'm very happy with a Yamaha CGX171CC which involves a cedar top, and a cut away. It is an acoustic electric and I wish it didn't have the electric aspect since I just wanted a classical guitar for flatpicking that would not have anything that would deteriorate over the years, like electronics.

The guitar rings out, especially when no other noise is present, like early in the morning before going to work.

Things to want would be ebony fingerboard, very smooth frets (polished), a loud volume on its own, an attractive rosette, and a neck width of, I think, 1 15/16 inch (but that is personal taste) at the top.

Love the nylon tone of the high strings compared to the tinniness of steel, and the buttery feel rather than the scratchness typical of steel.

• Members

I just bought a new classical guitar last week. Spanish made, solid cedar top and laminated walnut sids and back. 200 pound sterling (approx 300 USD). Plays like a dream. I don't understand why nylon string guitars aren't more popular as IMO they play so much smoother for fingerpicking because of the lower string tension and wider neck. The name classical must put people offf. All I play on it is country guitar and blues and love it.

Archived