How about Blackwood or Koa tops?

Cams

• Members

I'm very interested in an all Tasmanian blackwood guitar build by German luthier Heiner Dreizehnter, pics of which are on my site. This guitar blew me away when I tried it and it's been on my mind since then. As blackwood tops are pretty thin on the ground, and given that it's a similar wood to koa, I wondered if anyone could give me any thoughts on all-koa guitars, or indeed all Tasmanian blackwood guitars.

I'm interested in what you consider to be their strengths and weaknesses, and what sort of "opening up" can be expected from these guitars. I've already played it and love its tone, but just wanted a few thoughts from those with more experience of such guitars than I.

Cheers,

Cams

• Members

I've heard koa referred to as very, very similar to mahogany tone-wise, except that it doesn't compress at all like mahogany. It's a very open sounding wood, and its brightness depends on the density of the particular slab of wood.

At least that's how I've heard it described. I haven't really had a chance to play one, but I've played various all-mahogany guitars.

Cool stuff.

• Members

Cams,

Good timing on your question! I spent last night playing my all koa Martin dred and was attempting to put the sound into some sort of coherent description.

I've had the guitar for almost two years and it took a good 8 or 9 months to start to open up (the process still continues). Most koa tops sound very tight but they do have great sustain from the start. I had an all koa dred in the mid-'80s that I missed for 10 years before replacing it. It's such a unique sound and if you like it from the first time, it will only improve.

When I play for non-musicians, I like to switch between the koa and rosewood and I'm at a 100% preference for the "chorus-like" sound of the all koa.

Grant

• Members

Originally posted by Quake17

Good timing on your question! I spent last night playing my all koa Martin dred and was attempting to put the sound into some sort of coherent description.

I've had the guitar for almost two years and it took a good 8 or 9 months to start to open up (the process still continues). Most koa tops sound very tight but they do have great sustain from the start. I had an all koa dred in the mid-'80s that I missed for 10 years before replacing it. It's such a unique sound and if you like it from the first time, it will only improve.

When I play for non-musicians, I like to switch between the koa and rosewood and I'm at a 100% preference for the "chorus-like" sound of the all koa.

Thanks for that Grant. Yes, I did like the blackwood guitar from the outset, which is why it's still on my mind six weeks down the line. I'm pleased to hear you mention the opening up, as I was almost convinced that a hardwood-topped guitar just wouldn't do that. Could be fun then.

Archived