Just got my Gibson J-50 from riffdaddy!

mikeyen

• Members

Sounds fantastic! She's a beauty too. :) Haven't had a chance to really test the stock pickup yet, but hopefully sometime soon.

Nathan had the guitar setup already, and with new strings - though I'm thinking I'd like to have the action a hair lower than what it is right now.

I had forgotten to ask him to put in a neck strap button also - don't think I wanna risk doing it myself, though it doesn't sound like a difficult task for a pro. How much should it cost to have it put in?

All in all, I'm real excited to be spending more time with her. Thanks again, Nathan!

-Mike

• Members

Originally posted by mikeyen

Will do that as soon as I have time to do it tonight, and a place to host it... Would love to hear you guys' comments on the pickup.
:)

-Mike

Mike,

I'd be happy to host the files for you. Just email me if you want.

• Members

Originally posted by mikeyen

I had forgotten to ask him to put in a neck strap button also - don't think I wanna risk doing it myself, though it doesn't sound like a difficult task for a pro. How much should it cost to have it put in?

Congratulations on the J-50. Great guitar.

Don't sweat the strap pin, any technician should be able to install it while you wait for about 10 bucks of labor. Or do it yourself. It's really easy, just install it on the treble side of the heel, not into the body. Frank Ford shows you how:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/StrapButton/strapbutton1.html

• Members

Here we go, made a quick noodling clip:

http://www.totojun.com/mikeyen/J-50%20Test.mp3

It's just the internal pickup, into Behringer DI, into board. There's no onboard EQ to begin with, and no EQ or FX at the console.

I've primarily been an electric player, and this is my first serious acoustic - so I'm interested in hearing your opinions on the recorded tone.

Here're some pix - I'm not really much of a photographer, but here's the best I can do:

-Mike

J-50.jpg

J-50-Body.jpg

• Members

Mike,

It's BEAUTIFUL. I would love to have one. Too damn many guitars and not eough time and money.:(

You've got great rhythym bud. Nice playing. That tone is just fine for live playing, but it has the typical piezo quack. That UST is your best friend for the stage but you should consider a couple of good condenser mics for recording. It's the only way to get a natural acoustic sound. Either way though it sounds and looks awesome!! That's a keeper IMO.

Just for a comparison, here's my old Martin 00028EC (I miss her) The first one, Remembering Linda is recorded using two mics. The second clip is Three Quarter North using a Fishman prefix blender (UST and internal mic). Granted I was able to tune in a much more natural tone with the Fishman eventually (this was one of the first recordings I made with it....very quacky), but it still never sounded as good as mics when recording.

http://www.orsino.lfhost.com/tunes/Linda.wma

http://www.orsino.lfhost.com/tunes/ThreeQuarterNorth.wma

• Members

Hey Mike, I'm glad the J-50 is working out so well for you! I love having the J-50's around the shop. They're a great rhythm guitar. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

Out of curiosity, what sort of cab is that under your Marshall? I'm fascinated by speaker cabinets right now, even though all my amps are combos.

Enjoy!

--Nathan

• Members

Originally posted by zenzio

I also suspect from the clip we may have similar musical tastes. You into The Beatles by any chance (although - who isn't?)

Heh heh heh, to be honest, I'm a hard rocker at heart - hair metal mania! But banging on an acoustic is just as fun. :) Beatles is an awesome band - I was into them for a while, though can't say if they're my main influence. I pick up stuff here and there, from friends, radio, other musicians I've seen and heard...and here I am. :)

-Mike

• Members

Originally posted by orsino

Mike,You've got great rhythym bud. Nice playing.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Originally posted by orsino

That UST is your best friend for the stage but you should consider a couple of good condenser mics for recording. It's the only way to get a natural acoustic sound. Either way though it sounds and looks awesome!! That's a keeper IMO.

When my bank account recover from the hit, I'll look into some new mic's... But yes, this is a keeper for sure. :)

Nice sounding clips, btw!

-Mike

• Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

Hey Mike, I'm glad the J-50 is working out so well for you! I love having the J-50's around the shop. They're a great rhythm guitar. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

Hey, thank YOU, my friend - it's indeed a great sounding/feeling guitar. Nice, crisp high, and chunky lows - even at higher frets. Definitely a keeper. It's a pleasure doing biz with ya!

Originally posted by riffdaddy

Out of curiosity, what sort of cab is that under your Marshall? I'm fascinated by speaker cabinets right now, even though all my amps are combos.

It's a THD 2x12 - arguably THE best 2x12 money can buy. Simply KILLER. It sounds nearly as "big" as a good 4x12, and does it at literally half the size and weight. It's slot ported, so it has more bass response than your average 2x12, and has a wider projection also. It ain't cheap (picked up mine for around $600), but worth every penny, IMO. You can also patch Ed DeGenaro at the Amp Forum an PM if you got more technical questions - he works for THD.

A lot of folks also swear by their G-Flex cabs - they're cheaper than the THD, but weights quite a bit more. I haven't heard one in person.

I've heard good things about Antone Cabs also - Sergeant Thump at the Amp Forum owns two, and he gets killer tones out of those.

On the lower end, Avatar makes pretty decent cabs for real good price. They're nothing like the ones listed above, but they're solid, decent sounding cabs. Great bang-for-buck value.

-Mike

• Members

Oh Mike - you've also got the funniest signature I've seen for a while.

While we're on the subject, what are the differences between the J-45 and J-50 (apart from the pickguard)?

I'm just wondering what makes people choose one over the other as they seem to be very similar guitars.

I really like the fact that J-50s aren't half as common as J-45s. Kind of makes them seem as if they are a bit out of the norm.

Archived