Fret Buzz - What to do?

i_wanna_les_paul

• Members

It buzzes on like the 1st - 5th fret, but disappears around the 8th. It's happened since I adjusted the truss rod, and I got the neck pretty much straight now, and there's still some buzz.

It happens only when you strum hard, but it's enough that I want to change it.

I could put the truss rod back some, but the neck wouldn't be perfectly straight any more. Would there be harm in this? Would new strings help the situation at all?

Dustin

• Members

don't worry about the neck being perfectly straight. it's usually not or else you get buzzing like you are.. normally there is some 'relief'. the trick is finding the adjustment that is just right for you.

loosening the truss rod up a little bit will probably fix your problem. just use a SMALL turn. then let the guitar set for a while, then check it again. if it still buzzes, repeat and check again. just be sure to give it time to settle in after the adjustment. if you want to err on the safe side give it a day.

some people claim 30-45 minutes is enough time.

working with guitars isn't an exact science though. they're all different.

• Members

Cool. I released it until I was buzz free, and it still frets like a dream (unlike the stiff cardboard action it had before). I'll let it sit overnight and see what happens.

I was at a point where a decent amount of cranks (about 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn) to make it do anything, so I backed it up, I'll leave it and check it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help!

Dustin

• Members

1/2 a turn is a bit much if you ask me.

that's why i say make SMALL adjustments and let it set for a while, then check again. it takes time for the adjustment to set in.

glad it's more playable and not buzzing now, but yah check it in the morning. small turns :)

Archived