New Toy

JacoMon

• Members

With the realization that this is close to being off topic, I will add this disclaimer (it is for use WITH an acoustic Guitar for live solo performance).

After a few months of contemplating, I just bought a TC-Helicon VoiceWorks

processor. In case you are unfamiliar, it is a vocal strip with pre-amp, Eq, compression, reverb, delay, AND REALISTIC HARMONIES!!!

It also does real time pitch correction (but I'm usually pretty much in tune-

no brag). Anyway, I thought this little monster with my acoustic amp and sattelite JBL EON-G2 10" would make for a nice minimalistic, yet kick-ass live

acoustic setup. So far, I am fairly blown away by the possibilities. Songs that I would not perform (due to lack of harmonies) are now potential centerpeices.

It sounds really good! Anything from one extra harmony to full-on Crosby, Stills & Nash is in-bounds. There may be a purist ethic to overcome as far as using technology (for some), but I have always tryed to use electricity to my

own best benifit. You still have to use the synthesized harmonies correctly, but it is a real gas to have them available. Just thought I would share my excitement! (is anyone else doing this...yet?) opinions +/- are welcome

• Members

That's pretty interesting!

I've thought about getting a similar device, the Digitech VPR Vocalist Performer...have you tried this one? If so, how do they compare?

As for the "purist" issue...there are many here who object to using anything but a mic to amplify their guitar...and that's OK, too.

Me, I have no problem with technology, if it allows me to re-create the music I hear in my head in a tangible manner. And from a strictly practical perspective, the more I can do myself, the less I have to rely on others (who may or may not want to be as dedicated to The Muse! ;))

Tell us more about your system!

• Members

I had the Vocalist VR and after a while stopped using it. It was a great gimmick, but after a while I could hear the robotic harmonies clearer after the thrill wore off. I saw the Voiceworks demonstrated at the NAMM show and it was amazing!!! The harmony voices sound 99% human. You can gender shift too. Like trying a female choir mumming behind a soft vocal. Well I bought one. I use it only in the studio when I have a big chorus. I record a few live voices then put the voiceworks on one of them and turn up the reverb!!!! Anyway.....the two units don't compare. Go to Guitar Center and put on a pair of headphones and sing through it. It really sounds great.

P.S. The Digitech always made my monitors buzz. I had to put Hum Eliminators on them. The Voiceworks is silent!

• Members

I spent several hours playing with the VW last night. I usually cringe when showing a new peice of gear to my wife, but she was so blown away, she spent 3 hours on it with me. Once you have the chords correct, it is like having Crosby, Stills and Nash singing with you. I will be doing a lot of songs now that I couldn't do justice to before. I used to tour with a group that specialized in 6 part harmony, now I can get damn close just by myself. Pretty damn amazing! As far as my rig. I have a two car garage converted to a recording studio. Cubase on a Mac, MOTU 2408 Mk-II, Yamaha Motif, Triton rack, Nuemann TLM-103, Mackie Mixer, Mackie HR-824 Montors, Lots of other stuff. I still have some PA gear from the old days, but have been working on getting an acoustic setup that won't mess up my bad back. I have a Kustom KAA-65 to run my Breedlove (Schertler Blue-Stick) through. For a small place I'll just run a line out to a JBL G2 EON 10". The VoiceWorks will be killer as a vocal processor to run through this as well. Minimal set-up, big sound. One thing I will add to this very quickly is a set of Roland MIDI Bass pedals. It will give me a bass (or other) part, but equally important, will send MIDI chord changes in real time to painlessly program the Harmonies in the VoiceWorks.

If I need more channels, I have a Yamaha 16 Ch mixer, bigger PA Cabs, etc.

The harmony thing has me more likely to also carry a Keyboard because of all the possibilities. I haven't been able to do justice to "Cherish" in a long time.

This thing really does sound right.

Archived