Acoustic Pickups

eltod

• Members

Hi,

I did a quick search on this site for info on acoustic guitar pickups and didn't find a lot. I was interested in peoples opinions on types and brands in the under $100.00 range. I mostly play chordally with a pick with occasional lead and least frequently fingerpicking. I've always used Lawrence soundhole pickups and they are OK but I can't say that I was super happy with them.

What is the difference with the different types of pickups (piezo, magnetic etc.) I'll be mostly playing direct into a mixer but I have preamps etc.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank You

• Members

Well, piezo pickups are usually crystal or film pickups that pick up the vibrations your guitar makes, either from under the saddle or on the bridge plate.

Magnetic pickups are usually placed in the soundhole. Usually, they make an acoustic sound more like an electric jazz box guitar, which is why they aren't the most preferred pickups.

Simple mics for acoustics are usually internal, and usually sound a bit too "boxy" on their own.

The newest thing are the soundboard/bridgeplate transducers.

I've heard great things about the K&K Pure Western pickup. It's a set of three transducers that are mounted onto the bridge plate of your guitar. Lots of rave reviews. Under $100.

I think the Dean Markley "Sweet Spot" is a great under saddle pickup. You can get 'em for $60 or less. Very prone to feedback, tons of output and not a lot of modification to do to your guitar. I think these are pretty good for live applications.

B-Band has all ready been mentioned. Very good pickups. Their UST may be the best one on the market. The UST/AST combo, as well as the UST/internal mic combo sound great. But you'll pay for it. The UST alone is in your price range.

The Fishman Matrix is a perennial favorite. As is the L.R. Baggs iBeam and Ribbon Transducer.

• Members

I like the B-Band A2 Preamp with UST and Mic combination. Second choice is the Bband AST with new specially boosted preamp and that little rig is 99.00. Pickups are a very personal thing though and depend alot on luck. Some guitars love some pickups. Your choices are a little limited at 99.00.

• Members

my favorites:

*k&k pure western
good sounding pickup. hot enough signal to not require a preamp (no batteries inside or out needed) for most situations.
more likely to feedback than an under saddle pickup so not ideal for a really loud volume setting (rock band, etc).

*b-band ust with a1 preamp

best under saddle pickup in my opinion.
with the a1 preamp puts out a hot signal. nice sounding pickup.

there are other good pickups out there of course.
check out:

http://www.samusic.com

great pricing, service, and free shipping in the usa. this is the place i buy my acoustic pickups from.

Archived