Gretsch G3700 AE Jumbo

SurrealMcCoy

• Members

Never seen a Gretsch acoustic. I am fairly certain they are made in Korea. Gretsch has never been known for fine acoustic guitars, even when they were made in the U.S. Now their hollow body electrics are another story and certain vintage models fetch a hefty price.

• Members

If the sticker said it was made in America, then it was. Interesting.... I looked on their site. Now I remember. Fender now does all the manufacturing and distribtion for Gretsch. Odd triangular soundhole. Laminated mahog. back and sides. $920 list price. Not sure where it's made...could be made in California alongside the Guilds. Definitely an oddball...

:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by 54merk

If the sticker said it was made in America, then it was. Interesting.... I looked on their site. Now I remember. Fender now does all the manufacturing and distribtion for Gretsch. Odd triangular soundhole. Laminated mahog. back and sides. $920 list price. Not sure where it's made...could be made in California alongside the Guilds. Definitely an oddball...

:eek:

That sounds like it.....

Fender acoustics scare me! :eek:

I believe these are made in Ga. :)

• Members

Everyone left work early today so I took the opportunity to head over to the local Guitar Abuse Center. Wouldn't you know it, they had one of these beasts!

You are right, the sticker does give a P.O. Box address for Savanah, GA. I also looked at some new electric Gretsch's and they sticker says the same thing. It does not actually say on any of these instruments where they are actually built, however. I am fairly certain that Fender is building the electrics at their Corona plant, but I still think the acoustics are Korean.

Anyway, I did play the ugly acoustic and it sounded like absolute crap. I would compare it to the cheapest plywood junk you could find. List price of $920, no less. A real POS. The strings were halfway decent so I cannot blame it on them. Maybe the J150 you played it against was just as bad. I did play some pretty bad Gibsons today.

I did play a used '99 Fender Corona, CA built Guild 412 Jumbo Maple 12 string and it was one of the best 12's I've ever played, even though it needed new strings. You are right about Fender acoustics but it looks like they are upholding Guild quality, so far. Stay tuned, though. As one who is employed by a large company, I realize all too well what happens in the name of "productivity" and "optimization", the latest buzz words for what used to be called "cost reduction".

:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by 54merk

Everyone left work early today so I took the opportunity to head over to the local Guitar Abuse Center. Wouldn't you know it, they had one of these beasts!

You are right, the sticker does give a P.O. Box address for Savanah, GA. I also looked at some new electric Gretsch's and they sticker says the same thing. It does not actually say on any of these instruments where they are actually built, however. I am fairly certain that Fender is building the electrics at their Corona plant, but I still think the acoustics are Korean.

Anyway, I did play the ugly acoustic and it sounded like absolute crap. I would compare it to the cheapest plywood junk you could find. List price of $920, no less. A real POS. The strings were halfway decent so I cannot blame it on them. Maybe the J150 you played it against was just as bad. I did play some pretty bad Gibsons today.

I did play a used '99 Fender Corona, CA built Guild 412 Jumbo Maple 12 string and it was one of the best 12's I've ever played, even though it needed new strings. You are right about Fender acoustics but it looks like they are upholding Guild quality, so far. Stay tuned, though. As one who is employed by a large company, I realize all too well what happens in the name of "productivity" and "optimization", the latest buzz words for what used to be called "cost reduction".

:rolleyes:

Hey 54merk.......

At the "abuse center" they had two of these......one played and sounded like the POS you've described........the other didn't.....:rolleyes: I know that may sound strange........kind of like finding a decent sounding Epiphone or Fender acoustic! :eek: I went as far as to going into an isolation room with the Gretsch & Gibson J150. It was closer than I would have ever estimated. :) In fact.......now I have to go back to........the "center".......for .....more! ;)

Archived