Looking for Guitar <$1000 with these specs...

Chrohm

• Members

Hey guys...I'm looking for an acoustic guitar under $1000 that is a cutaway and enough frets to play some lead on when needed...

I play a lot of blues/fingerpicking/country, flatpicking music.

I'm looking for a guitar bigger than a parlor guitar but has excellent feeling, (I like ebony fretboards)...

Due to my location there aren't a lot of acoustic guitar choices other than a lot of Taylors which are out of my price range. My friend has a Martin OM16GT which I like a lot but I'm looking for a slightly bigger and prettier guitar that is louder. I'm thinking about Larrivee, but I've never played one...The acoustic guitars I own are a 12 string Fender and a cheapass Johnson-(piece of junk). Electronics aren't a must, but if it can come in a great guitar

Any recommendations are great!

Thanks

Charlie

• Members

A cutaway is really not a necessity on an acoustic, and it will add to the cost. You just will not end up utilizing those high frets all that much, but if you absolutely cannot live without the high frets, then I guess you have to go for it. If you find an OM16 too small then you are looking at a Dreadnaught or Jumbo body. Larrivee D03, Tacoma 09 or 10, Martin D16, Taylor 210 are all worth looking at. If the selection is really that bad why not try a mail order Carvin? Very attractive prices and lots of testimonials to their quality on this forum. Trial period and money back guarantee as well.

• Members

Well, if the OM size isn't quite to your liking, I'd recommend the Larrivee "L" body guitars.

They're smaller than a dreadnought, but a bit bigger and louder than an auditorium-sized guitar.

Great for fingerpicking and flat picking. Amazing guitars. You can get 'em with a cutaway, too. An L-03 with a cutaway would probably be in your price range.

IMO, Larrivee makes the best mass-produced acoustic guitar today. Definitely stuff that's on par with "botique" brands.

• Members

Why, a Larrivee OM of course.

Check out the Larrivee, Martin and Taylor manufacturer sites for more info about guitar sizes. From big to small, the sizes are Jumbo, Dreadnaught, 0000, 000 (OM is a 000 with a 14 fret neck), 00, and Parlor.

• Members

Originally posted by Chrohm

actually i love the martin om16gt size...but I thought it was considered a pretty small acoustic guitar...

Well you did say...

My friend has a Martin OM16GT which I like a lot but I'm looking for a slightly bigger and prettier guitar that is louder...

Which is why I recommended a Larrivee L-03 with a cutaway. It's a bit bigger than auditorium-sized guitars, but not as big as a dreadnought. Despite that, it's as loud as many of the dreads I've played. Amazing guitars.

However, the -03 Larrivee's are pretty plain looking instruments. BEAUTIFUL wood, but if you're looking for something dripping in inlays, you'd be looking in the wrong place. The -05 Larrivee's have more "dressing" on 'em, and IMO they're very classy looking.

what model does larrivee make that is the same size as the om16gt?

As mentioned before, the Larrivee OM-03 is in your price range for this, but you won't get a gloss top (if that's a concern).

If you find some deal on an OM-05, buy that sucker! :D

• Members

Originally posted by EvilTwin

If you find some deal on an OM-05, buy that sucker!
:D

The D05, L05, and OM05 all list for $1749. A very, very good price is 40% off which comes to $1049. You can also watch ebay and they go for around $780 to $1000 used. Will sound the same as a 03, but it's much prettier and has a gloss finish.

• Members

Originally posted by 54merk

The D05, L05, and OM05 all list for $1749. A very, very good price is 40% off which comes to $1049. You can also watch ebay and they go for around $780 to $1000 used. Will sound the same as a 03, but it's much prettier and has a gloss finish.

All the new ones I see on eBay go with a reserve of at least $1300 or so. The used ones seem to get driven up in price pretty well, too.

If I could find an L-05 for under a grand, I'd seriously consider selling some other guitars to buy it.

• Members

All the new ones I see on eBay go with a reserve of at least $1300 or so. The used ones seem to get driven up in price pretty well, too.

If I could find an L-05 for under a grand, I'd seriously consider selling some other guitars to buy it.

That's not true. Here's one which sold for $810 with an EMG AJ-93 pickup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2573366918&category=2385&rd=1

Or how about this current auction with six hours left. There's a crack in the body so it's only up to $455.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2575120129&category=621&rd=1

There is also a dealer from Oklahoma selling brand new ones with high reserves. You can get a much better deal from Nathan at E.M. Shorts.

They're out there, but you gotta search.

• Members

That's not true. Here's one which sold for $810 with an EMG AJ-93 pickup.

Or how about this current auction with six hours left. There's a crack in the body so it's only up to $455.

There is also a dealer from Oklahoma selling brand new ones with high reserves. You can get a much better deal from Nathan at E.M. Shorts.

They're out there, but you gotta search.

Good links. I just keep finding these ones consistently for the L-Bodies: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2576238751&category=2385

This one isn't too bad a deal for an L-03: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2576336156&category=2385

• Members

I know I said I wanted something bigger than an OM but today I played some more guitars....no larrivees in my area though
:(
...but the OM size is def. the size I'm looking for.

Have you ever played any of Tacoma's Parlor or Little Jumbo guitars? Great values in smaller-bodied guitars.

• Members

Good links. I just keep finding these ones consistently for the L-Bodies:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2576238751&category=2385

This one isn't too bad a deal for an L-03:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2576336156&category=2385

ET,

Yeah, the first link is the Oklahoma dealer I was talking about. Zack at Best Price Guitar should change his name to Worst Price Guitar. I can get 20 to 25% off at the little shop downtown, get personalized service, and help support the local economy. 40% off on a Larrivee is not hard to find either. Zack has his overpriced new Larrivee's all over ebay. Funny thing is that they don't sell and just keep getting relisted, which is probably why you see them so much.:D

The second one is hard to tell. The Buy is Now is not far below a 40% discounted price and who knows where the reserve is set. Usually, it's not far below the Buy It Now. IMO unless you are saving at least several hundred bucks, or are purchasing a special rare or otherwise collectable guitar, it just is not worth buying a used guitar on ebay. That said, sometimes you will manage to run across a bargain, but it takes time, patience, and perserverance!:cool:

• Members

Did anyone mention Larrivee yet?;) I'd be scared to buy from ebay though. I've played to many brand new guitars in the shop with neck problems already to trust some dealer 500 miles away unless they were highly recommended (there are a few with great reps on this board).

• Members

$1000 for a used guitar which you can buy new with a lifetime warranty for 50 bucks more is NOT a good deal. I feel sorry for the sucker who clicks the Buy It Now button.

:mad:

I'm sorry, I was just trying to help. The poster said they couldn't find any for under 1300 and if they could find one for under 1000 might would be interested. Hell, it's not my guitar. :(

• Members

Originally posted by Robj41

I'm sorry, I was just trying to help. The poster said they couldn't find any for under 1300 and if they could find one for under 1000 might would be interested. Hell, it's not my guitar.

No need to apologize. I am sorry if my response led you to think you did anything wrong, my response was not directed at you at all.

More than anything, I get annoyed when people try to sell things on ebay for more than they are worth. Too many overpriced guitars, both new ones from places like "Best Price Guitars" and private sellers who put rediculously inflated reserves and BUY IT NOW's on their used "one of a kind" D-28's and "rare" nearly new Taylors and Gibsons. If you do the pre-work and find the best price on a new instrument, you will know when it's time to stop bidding!

:cool:

Archived