I got to try a Collins Flat top!

JiveJust

• Members

Thru a pal of mine I met someone that works for Collins. He put together a custom "Jumbo" styled guitar. It had a Adirondack spruce top Mahogany back and sides and a Ebony Fretboard. It also had a one piece flamed Mahogany neck.

All I can say it WOW!. That was the most amazing guitar I've ever tried. I've tried Gibson, Taylor and Santa Cruz and none of them played or sounded like that. It was like riding in a Rolls Royce or something I can't describe how amazing it was.

• Members

Unfortunately I live in central FL, very limited area for high end guitars. Have not had the pleasure of a Collings in my lap yet, but I'm traveling to CA in the near future and I'm planning a couple of shop visits. Oh boy, yet another guitar to consider adding to the brood!

• Members

I agree. I played a C10 about 2 weeks ago. $8500 AUD. No way I would swap it for my Jim Williams, it just doesn't have the tone all over and I only paid $2800 for that. I played a Maton EBG808 about 6 months ago that this Collings reminded me of and it was under $2000. Importing sucks in this country.

• Members

There are a bunch around here, but I happen to live about 30 miles from their factory...

I've played one in the store, and it was clearly a very nice guitar. But they are distinctly in the Martin style (which is not my favorite), so it was mostly lost on me. Collings builds guitars like Martin used to, and, despite the high price, they have a growing following.

Someday I'll get around to touring their factory...

Astor

Archived