In what way do acoustics with cutaways affect the tone?

Alice 'N Chainz

• Members

John Greven laughed when I asked him that. He's one of the finest builders and repairmen to ever walk IMO. I believe any good brand will be very little difference. I personally will probably never own a cutaway guitar.

Greven is building a custom guitar with 12 frets exposed and cutaway. Thats one of the best ideas I have ever heard for the argument for a cutaway. 12 fretters rock, and the cutaway would give you access to 14. Slick idea.

My .02 though. Go play some blind folded or eyes closed and compare. Se if you can tell. Come back and tell us what you find.

• Members

Originally posted by Selsaral

I really cannot tell a difference above things like different strings etc...and I have tried hard several times to hear a difference. Either my ear isn't that great (entirely possible) or cutaways don't have a large impact on tone.

Nah, it's not just you. As long as the guitar builder is skilled and knows what they're doing, there really isn't much difference in the sound of the guitar if you get a cutaway.

I said up there what the consensus is among the real tone connisieurs of acoustic guitars. I'm not going to argue with that because I'm sure it is true in some cases, but I'm sure that there isn't a world of difference either.

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

Greven is building a custom guitar with 12 frets exposed and cutaway. Thats one of the best ideas I have ever heard for the argument for a cutaway. 12 fretters rock, and the cutaway would give you access to 14. Slick idea.

Now that's an interesting idea. I'm still having trouble deciding on my next Brook; the initial idea was for a 12-fret dreadnought with slotted headstock, but now I'm thinking that I could custom order a longer scale for low C and wondering whether I would miss the extra frets for the type of music I would play in that tuning (Celtic fingerstyle) - El McMeen is of the opinion that I would, and he should know!

But the idea of a cutaway dread doesn't appeal that much in terms of looks.

I do agree that the cutaway has very little impact on the tone. I got to try a few Lakewoods with both cutaways and without back in October and I couldn't tell the difference.

• Members

Cutaways do not affect the volume, tone or projection of an acoustic guitar at all, regardless of the builder or manufacturer.

The upper bout of a guitar does not contribute to the sound of a guitar. It is the lower bout's job to do that. The pumping action of the topwood is a function of the lower bout's effciency in translating string energy from the saddle. The upper bout is just along for the ride (sonically inert nodes of the guitar top).

Some of the very finest acoustic guitars in the world have cutaways, including the berst classicals. And some, like this fantastic examples, have two cutaways.

cutaway.jpg

Doolin Guitars

So feel free to gain access to the upper frets by means of a cutaway, if that's what strikes you. :cool:

Archived