refinishing an acoustic

HirsuteND

• Members

This is really more of a question for the sake of argument. I don't plan on messing with it. But...

Would stripping the poly finish and applying a shellac or a tung oil affect the sound for the better or worse? Or is it even possible? I've been toying around on an electric with stripping and finishing, but that seems like it would be easier. Or how about a nitro finish or something that would wear away over the years and allow the wood to air out?

I've heard pro and con arguments for a glossy finished acoustic top, and the more I hear about poly finishes, they allow no room for "breathing" thus rendering the benefits of a solid top moot.

Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

• Members

Last year I purchased a Tacoma DR20 off of eBay knowing it had a defective finish. I got the $1200 guitar for $299, so I wasn't too worried about taking on the project. I did hours and hours of research at various sites and forums on re-finishing an acoustic guitar. Most folks said it was a HUGE undertaking and not recommended if I wasn't very confident. Don't even think about sanding a poly UV finish off! I used a heat gun and a scraper & very gently melted the finish off without trying to nick the wood. The rosewood back & sides were reletively easy, but the softer Spruce top was a chore! After I finally got the finish off, I sanded the entire guitar with various grit sandpaper & proceeded to re-finish it. I used a hand rubbed poly finish. I applied 6 coats while sanding in between each one. It was still no where near the thickness of the original saran wrap finish! The guitar came out pretty darn nice & I was pleased. I honestly think it sounded better also. It wasn't like glass, but a very nice soft gloss look. If you undertake a project as such, do a lot of prep work and read up!

Good luck. 'Mo

tacomajob.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

Wow what a great post. I would not have those guts but I admire you for it. If my Poly finish was not defective I would leave it. If I were to refinish it I probably would not use oil.

Totally agree! If the finish were not defective I'd leave it alone. These high end companies using brilliant finishes know what they are doing. I don't care for oil either and using real shellac & french polishing is something I am not ready to try!

Archived