Bevelled edge? I like it!!!

Unk

• Members

Yeah, I told Scott not to get that pointy cutaway. He'll poke his eye out!

But the bevel is sweet. It makes a pretty big guitar feel much more comfortable. I want one too! But preferably not one that runs around $9K like that Ryan...

• Members

Funny, the Ryan Nightingale has gotten high marks for workmanship but its relative negatives have been very interesting to hear.

A luthier friend of mine got one in his shop to have a pickup installed. Another luthier friend of his (and mine), a world-class builder for decades, stopped by to see it and take it for a spin. Anyway, he found the Nightingale to be very heavy and not have the projection and volume that a small jumbo box should exhibit. Its tone was somewhat brash, as well. And all of this with a price tag of 8K+.

I used to own a Ryan Mission Grand Concert, but I sold it because it was heavy and very strangely quiet. I just couldn't justify the 4K+ it cost.

The Ryan small-manufacturing shop has a loyal following, so the shop must build some killer guitars, too. But, for the money, I would (and have) found guitars I prefer to own and play far more.

• Members

I don't find Scott's Nightingale to be brash or overly heavy, and the tone is great. However, for me I think I do prefer his Mission. Actually, I'd like a Mission with a bevel. :)

I wouldn't pay the price that either would cost. There are some really great guitars out there for a lot less. But they are excellent guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike Crixell

I believe that Scott's guitar sounds great. I can see that Ryan likely puts out some good guitars but the bang doesn't hit my buck.
;)

Gotta agree with Mike-man. First of all that is some REALLY sweet playing Scott is doing there. I love watching someone close their eyes and put their heart in it. (How about some dang videos from you guys?)

Maybe it's just the onboard video mic, but I wasn't wowed by the tone. But, I'm sure that if you told me it was a $2500 guitar, I would have been happier with it.

That said, I really would like to hear it in person. As great as micing and video allow us to to the best we can in achieving the actual tone of the guitar. We have to be sitting across the room from someone to really determine how good the tone is IMO.

• Members

I would KILL for that bevel on my present guitar. I have cubital tunnel syndrome in both hands and ever since I developed this problem, I've become strongly aware of ergonomics and posture. I

I feel very uncomfortable playing guitar at the moment because of the sharp edge. Also I feel that arm gets pushed out too much. A bevel would really improve things. I feel it should be standard on all guitars.

• Members

I was more impressed with the tone on the first clip but the second one for blues just really did not inspire me and I could even hear a little bit of cheeseness in there I would not expect. Can't see myself playing blues on that one. The first style seemed a better fit. Nice playing too.

These video camera mics may not be perfect but from the distance they recorded in my experience they do present the character of the guitar pretty accurately.

I dont hear the moneys worth from that recording. Maybe in person I would be wowed more. Sometimes you have to play these things with your eyes closed so the abalone and grains dont boost you with GAS.

I also did not really hear a big voice from that guitar either. I would expected the limits of the mic to pickup more mids and richness but it just wasnt there. The first recording had more depth of character IMO but I had to strain to hear it.

Hard to tell how much of that one is craftsmanship and eyecandy vs tone but only way to tell is own it. It also may have been brand new in that photo and not opened up.

Opinions are like @ and I am one of them ;)

• Members

Hmm.... frankly I'm surprised he posted those clips. The first was recorded with my camcorder. The mic is okay, but doesn't really convey the richness of the guitar (which was indeed brand new at the time). For the second I was experimenting and the audio is actually picked up by a large condensor vocal mic I have that really isn't well suited for guitar at all. I got a cheap small condensor Oktava mic since then that I've been much happier with for recording guitar.

That said, in general I don't think Ryans are particularly suited for blues. Though Al Petteway does some funky slapping blues on his that is awesome.

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

Opinions are like @ and I am one of them
;)

ROTFLMAO.....don't do that to me man. I'm still at work. Loud cackling laughter is frowned upon here and will sometimes initiate a visit from our security department.

• Members

Is it just an optical illusion or are the edges of the cutaway not parallel (like it's a conic section instead of a cylinder)? Is that standard and I've just never noticed? It's a really attractive look, IMHO, although I'm still not positive I'm seeing it correctly.

I guess the beveled edge is neat-looking, too, but wouldn't it be a structural weak point? And isn't it a lot more work to artificially dig a big red line into your forearm so people know you've been playing?

Archived