RainSong Factory Tour

AshvinCoomar

• Members

Hello Everyone:

I would like to invite those of you who are interested, to a tour of RainSong's production facility in Woodinville, Washington. Since we are a small company (our "company" consists of 7 people, including me!), I will be conducting the tours myself. We can only accommodate few people at a time, so please call ahead to setup an appointment.

For more details, please visit our website http://www.rainsong.com

Thanks

Ashvin Coomar

President

RainSong Graphite Guitars

• Members

What a great invitation man. I'm in FL so we're just about as far apart as we can be, but if I ever get up there, I will DEFINITELY take you up on it. Cornerstone Music in Clermont, FL always has a couple of your instruments. I've always enjoyed playing them. Nice sound and feel.

• Members

Wow Ashvin,

If you're truly the big cheese over there this is an honor for us regulars at the Acoustic forum. I'm in Connecticut and my local store (East Coast Music) has 5 of your guitars on the floor and who knows in the back.

I have a studio in CT and have had a few Rainsong A/E cutaways come in for tracks. They are superior guitars to the majority of what I have recorded in my 20 years in the business.

Unfortunately, I won't be in your area any time soon, but thanks for the offer. By the way- I like your marketing strategies(and your guitars!) and wish you many more points of Market

Share in the future! Yes, there is definitely a Rainsong in my future.....

:D

• Members

Thanks for the nice comments and for making me feel welcome here.

Well, to be honest, I have not sat down and done an A-B test with a CA guitar and a RainSong. I have met the CA people at the past few NAMM shows. They seem like nice, hardworking folks and judging from the comments I have heard here and elsewhere, they make fine guitars.

Without a doubt, CA and RainSong guitars have a lot in common. However, based on their published literature, it seems that we have some fundamental differences in approaches to our instruments. While CA works with their materials to make their instruments sound like fine wooden guitars, RainSongs are designed to produce a unique Carbon tone that is balanced and loud (I honestly believe that our brace-free soundboard design makes our guitars one of the loudest in the market). Also, contrary to some comments I have heard here (probably pertaining to our 1st generation instruments), the bass response on the newer RainSongs (built after 1999) is excellent.

RainSong started work on designing its instruments in 1981 and after a long R&D phase, actually began production in 1995. The fact that CA and others (including Martin Gutiars) have entered the graphite guitar arena validates the fact that there is a place for graphite guitars in this world. I also feel that there is ample room for CA and RainSong in an industry that supports more than 2000 wooden guitar builders!

While RainSong and CA build graphite guitars, our materials and production techniques are very different. The bottom line is that a guitar purchase (especially a high-end one) is a very personal decision. I hope each of you gets to try not just CA and RainSong, but a variety of other instruments and to make-up your own mind about the sound and the other qualities (looks, stability, roadworthiness etc.). Who knows? maybe you'll find a reason to own one of each type!

Ashvin

• Members

To follow up on the CA thing, how about the carbon topped Ovation Adamas? Do you have any thoughts on them. Obvioulsy, the plastic bowl back will have different properties than the Rainsongs, but is the tone similar? I had the opportunity to play a carbon Ovation at a GC in Portland, which sparked my curiosity. I haven't played a Rainsong, though.

I might be in the Seattle area this upcoming summer to buy a bass, so I'll have to keep you guys in mind! (That is if you don't mind giving tours to college kids ;))

Dustin

• Members

interesting discussion going on. i'm definitely following this thread as composite guitars have become more appealing to me.

i just got some literature in the mail from ca guitars today actually

and i noticed they have wooden fretboards. that struck me as kind of odd. if i'm going to buy a composite guitar i'd want the fretboard to be composite too. as far as i know the rainsong fretboards are composite, right?

i just don't care for the shark inlays on the rainsongs. i wish there was an option for no markers at all on top, or just regular dots. maybe there is and i just don't know about it yet.

• Members

Ashvin,

Are there any plans for a true traditional classical nylon guitar? I know you have one model out, but I'm talking about a slothead, wider neck true classical. I believe there is a vertical market here when you consider the top manufacturers don't even offer trussrod construction. If the necks go out on a $5,000 - $8,000 instrument, you're in big trouble - and for that reason alone I know players who are leery of buying them (especially here in the Northeast).

Anyway, just a thought.....nice guitars;)

• Members

Originally posted by seven7

i just got some literature in the mail from ca guitars today actually

and i noticed they have wooden fretboards. that struck me as kind of odd. if i'm going to buy a composite guitar i'd want the fretboard to be composite too.

The CA guitars Legacy and Legacy AE models use ebony boards and bridges, but in the future will have all-composite consruction. The Legacy Bluegrass Performer and Legacy C.O.T. are all-composite construction. I've had my Bluegrass Performer for a few weeks now, and I am in love with it. I bought it over a Legacy A/E due to the composite board and bridge, and the tone had a bit of an edge over the A/E IMO. I'm going to add a B-Band UST and A-1, and I'll be set for a long time.

I've gotta wonder about fret replacement on a composite fingerboard, though......

• Members

Originally posted by Guit Fiddle

The CA guitars Legacy and Legacy AE models use ebony boards and bridges, but in the future will have all-composite consruction. The Legacy Bluegrass Performer and Legacy C.O.T. are all-composite construction. I've had my Bluegrass Performer for a few weeks now, and I am in love with it. I bought it over a Legacy A/E due to the composite board and bridge, and the tone had a bit of an edge over the A/E IMO. I'm going to add a B-Band UST and A-1, and I'll be set for a long time.

I've gotta wonder about fret replacement on a composite fingerboard, though......

hmm, interesting. thanks for the info.

fret replacement was something else i'd wondered about too. i don't know why the companies don't make composite frets as well. i'm sure it would sound diff than metal frets but different isn't necessarily a bad thing.

any thoughts on that ashvin?

• Members

I think that i can add a little to the people that have questions about both.

My Brother in Law owns a rainsong....was one of the first to order a windsong back in the day.

I myself own a COT by CA guitar.

I have had the honor of playing both alot.

First a little story about where the shark inlay comes from. When my Brother ordered his Rainsong and went to take a tour of the factory and get his, they were putting dolphin inlays in there. I can understand this because they were made in Hawaii. Well they got stopped from doing that because of a copyright that another company had. Now for the part where I dont know if it is true or not. They say they called my brother and he wanted the inlay. So he asked if they had anything that was like the dolphin. They called him back later and said they can do a shark. Whalla, ever since then they have been putting sharks. Maybe I could get that verified. I could even get you the model on his windsong if you needed it.

The Windsong is such a quality guitar. This guitar plays so nice has so much action. For being a older model it sounds very crisp and always shines when run through an acoustic amp or PA. Even without an amp he is right they are loud and carry nicely.

So i was on the path to buy a Rainsong and looking for more information on guitars when i come across a post to me saying check these out. Enter CA guitar.

I didnt even get to play one. I was so in love with it after watching the videos from NAMM in i think nashville that i called and ordered one.

I have been playing my CA for 3 months now. I can never put this guitar down. It is so warm and so beautiful. I have never heard a guitar that sounded so good.

Bottom line that got me is what i can get for the price i was paying. I would have bought a Windsong but the price was just to high. 3200 roughly for Rainsongs top end and 1800 for CA's top end. Now you have some idea of why they won out.

Bottom line is if you own either of these guitars you cant go wrong. There are things that I love about each of them and I have to say that they are both quality pieces of work.

Best thing is you can whip them out and play them and they will always be in tune. They will not bow or bend like a wood guitar can. You can change temp and they are all good.

I have to tell you that wood will never be played in my family again. If you get a chance to play them both I suggest you give them a try.

• 16 years later...
  • Members

I know there is a seventeen year gap on this thread. !!...    ..but I have just bought an old Rainsong WS1000 made in Hawaii and with no name on the headstock, but inlayed at the 12 fret.

I am trying to find out what year it was made.Serial number is 3014 ...

It is certainly loud, but the action is too high and some fret buzz problem at the 12/13th fret...no way of curing either though I assume!?

Archived