More durable top: Cedar vs. Sitka Spruce?

Billystrat

• Members

Hello,

I've cut my acoustic hunt down to two guitars. They both sound and look beautiful, so now I just wonder is there any difference in durability between Cedar and Sitka Spruce tops? Both guitars are finished in Satin Nitro Lacquer. I'm wondering what's less likely to dent and take less abuse in climate changes.? Thanks

Billy

• Members

i have a cedar s+p is a softer wood i think and therefore more likely to get bumps and dings but being a s+p the cedar is a very nice bit of wood and looks lush.(think i was sold on the quality grade cedar vs ok spruce on the s+p range i was looking at)..also i like the (warmer) sound and it looks a bit different to everyone elses Spruce top(silly reason but hey)

• Members

Sitka is more durable. Cedar dents easily but opens up quicker. They both produce a slightly different tone. It's just a matter of taste. Take care of them properly you won't have a problem with either. Check your favorite high end guitars to see what they use that might help you decide.

• Members

I think it's well-established that cedar is a softer wood than sitka. Tonally I've heard that it opens up quicker than sitka, but also that it doesn't have the longevity - possibly because of its durability, but don't quote me on that.

All I know is that once spruce opens up (anywhere from several months to a year) it's pretty sweet and IMO worth the wait.

• Members

Really now, the difference in durability is so minor that you don't need to worry about it. Maybe the cedar will ding a tiny bit more easily but why be so anal? If you want to be anal then be anal about tone and pick the sound your ears and hands like best.

• Members

Cedar seems to have a way nicer respose when played quietly. Less compression (notes sounding the same played quiet or loud) and more dynamics there...so that when you play quietly you can convey mood better. Since it responds better when driven lightly than spruce, it's great for smaller parlor guitars and classical guitars. The downside is that if you strum into a cedar topped guitar hard, it can get overwhelmed easily. You don't get that satifying crunch of the different notes when strumming chords as much as a sort of clash and crash of notes fighting each other. (Like a flamenco guitar where the chords are almost splashy percussion from the hard strumming) My experience anyway.

You probably can get around these general characteristics by playing with other elements of a guitar's construction (soundboard thickness for instance)

Archived