Hmm mandolin or ukulele on the side?

ILikeGuitar

• Members

What style of music do you like or are interested in learning?

I lean heavily towards bluegrass, so went the mando route instead of uke. Lots of simple old-timey songs lend themselves to the mando, whether strummed or picked.

• Members

My brain is running real slow this morning and I can't think of any specific song titles.

But I'm awake enough to suggest that for some mando blues, head for YouTube and see what you can find in the style of the legendary Yank Rachell.

• Members

I'm an uke guy. Both Samilyn and Stack make good points.

• The instrument must fit the music of interest.

• The uke can be a slightly easier instrument for guitarists to learn.

IMG_0417.jpg

I play mostly Hawaiian slack-key music on my Guitalele, which is a six-course tenor ukulele (center of that picture). Because the Guitalele has six courses tuned like a tenor guitar (capo on the 5th fret), all the chords and techniques of a guitar are immediately usable.

What's Hawaiian slack-key? Besides the wiki definition, here are a couple of videos to help:

[YOUTUBE]O8jiB01AqyU[/YOUTUBE]

Aloha Oe in Slack Key

[YOUTUBE]p32bBmLFopM[/YOUTUBE]

Slack Key sample and lesson from Mark Nelson

• Members

ChiyoDad, that Guitalele is so cool! Six-string tenor uke = requinto? Of course, the scale is a bit different ... but the tuning is the same (ADGCEA). I've wondered about using a quasi-uke re-entrant tuning on my requinto ... kicking that fourth string (the G) up an octave.

• Members

Stack,

Sometimes I get tempted by a requinto. The local shop where I got my new Yamaha flamenco guitar now carries requintos too! :eek:

ILikeGuitar

It depends on what's acceptable. Here's a set of ranges that I've seen for the best ukulele quality on a tight budget:

• All laminated tenor of good quality (Cascade, Kala or Lanikai) - $50 to $150

• Guitalele (Yamaha) - $120 shipped (from Canada)

• Solid-top tenor with case (Kala or Lanikai) - $200 to $275

• All solid tenor with case (Pono Mahogany) - $320 (recommended)

• All solid tenor and made in Hawaii of Hawiian koa (Kamaka) - $1000

I still strongly suggest that you explore the music first.

• Members

yeah after listening to some stuff i think i like uke music so ill probably go with that but who knows i could get a mando somewhere down the line. what's the difference between the different types of ukes (tenor, concert etc)?

would this be an ok thing to mess around on? http://www.wwbw.com/Lanikai-LU-21TE-Tenor-i250795.music

anything cheaper wouldn't be worth getting? those 50 dollar ones look kinda flimsy

i don't really want anything that expensive just something portable to try and strum around on

• Members

Like Hud, I have a cool very old Martin uke, but I've never bonded with it either. However I did build a mandolin a year ago and while it will never replace a guitar, it is a lot of fun to noodle around with. I mostly fool around with simple chords and easy bluegrass songs - lots of good information here

http://www.mandolincafe.com/

Another nice thing about the mando (or uke for that matter) is that they are great travel instruments - fit in the OH bin on an airplane, quiet picking in your hotel room at night. Good way to get a string fix while on the road.

• Members

what's the difference between the different types of ukes (tenor, concert etc)?

would this be an ok thing to mess around on?
http://www.wwbw.com/Lanikai-LU-21TE-Tenor-i250795.music

anything cheaper wouldn't be worth getting?

Size and tuning. Soprano is the smallest and uses re-entrant tuning (High-G, C, E, A). Concert is a size-up. Tenor is larger than concert and what performers and pros use and can be tuned re-entrant or with Low-G. Baritone is the largest and is tuned like the last four strings of a guitar.

That Lanikai has a pre-amp which accounts for $50+ of its price. It'd probably be okay.

cs_IMG_0315.jpg

Costco.com used to sell a $50 bundle from Cascade which was an excellent value for a laminated uke. It was a super-concert (concert body, tenor-scale [i.e. longer neck]).

• Members

Is concert tuned like the soprano too? I'm looking to spend no more than $100 I think... The one without the pickup in it is $100 actually. Most of the ones under $100 are soprano. Is it that much of a limitation to use a soprano or concert instead of a tenor? If you see a good deal lemme know!

• Members

Is concert tuned like the soprano too? I'm looking to spend no more than $100 I think... The one without the pickup in it is $100 actually. Most of the ones under $100 are soprano. Is it that much of a limitation to use a soprano or concert instead of a tenor? If you see a good deal lemme know!

The concert and soprano both use re-entrant tuning (high-G on the 4th string) which is the most familiar ukulele tuning. Tenors can be strung with both high-G and low-G.

Between a concert and a soprano, I would recommend that you go with a concert since more folks find it easier to handle, and it's usually louder.

I find that tenors fit me best;and I'm not a tall guy nor do I have thick fingers.

At $100, you'd probably have to settle for an all-laminate ukulele. Have a look at this Kala and this Lanikai. Both of the sellers are reputable. You get a hardshell case with either instrument.

• Members

I dunno when I think of Uke I kinda think of relaxed island music which is good. Mandolin sounds kinda nice too but I'm still not really sure. How much do beginner ukes and mandos go for? Nothing too expensive I hope

Well, I play both, and I like both for different reasons.

THE UKULELE- nylon strings for a more mellow sound, you can fingerpick the bejeezus out of them, and they have a real cool kitsch appeal but can also be used to make highbrow music. There's a cat named John King that does Back partidas on the uke. Amazing stuff.

Also, the main difference between the two, in my opinion (and the main reason I have a hard time deciding which of the two to go full throttle into), is that the uke seems to lend itself more to solo performance in the sense that it's very singer-songwriterish.

Lots of folks play the uke solo to accompany their singing. You don't see this as much with mandolin. The uke is really fun to pick up and play tunes on and sing with.

THE MANDOLIN- to me is more demanding. Almost impossible to fingerpick, and I'm having a hard time getting my right hand technique and tremelo down. (I've been playing mando more than anything including guitar the past few months.)

On the other hand, it is also very rewarding. It's a beautiful sounding instrument in the right hands. I'm not into bluegrass so I play old folk tunes and ragtime and blues stuff on it. It's a blast. But I don't think of it as a typical solo instrument outside of people who play Celtic or classical or renaissance type of music on it maybe.

You can get a good starter uke or mandolin very reasonably. I got my first mandolin last xmas from Musicians Friend for $49. It's a Rogue A-style with f-holes and it is an incredible deal for that price.

Ukes you can also get in the same range, but the quality varies. Some Mahalos, for instance, can be gotten for under $50, but some are good, some are crap. I owned a Lanikai for a while and while it really lacked volume, it was well made and played very well. I'd say the $50 Rogue is a great starter mando, while you might want to look at spending closer to $150+ for a comparable ukulele, but that's not gospel...it would be great if you could try some out.

I've been having a hard time with this sort of. I'm almost 40 and I've played guitar for over 30 years and always will, though I'm really just average. But I've picked up so many other instruments off and on over the years. In a way, they are sort of bumping into each other...I want to devote my time to all of them, but the result is, none of them get played as much as they should for me to be able to advance very far.

• Members

Well, I play both, and I like both for different reasons.

THE UKULELE- nylon strings for a more mellow sound, you can fingerpick the bejeezus out of them, and they have a real cool kitsch appeal but can also be used to make highbrow music. There's a cat named John King that does Back partidas on the uke. Amazing stuff.

Also, the main difference between the two, in my opinion (and the main reason I have a hard time deciding which of the two to go full throttle into), is that the uke seems to lend itself more to solo performance in the sense that it's very singer-songwriterish.

Lots of folks play the uke solo to accompany their singing. You don't see this as much with mandolin. The uke is really fun to pick up and play tunes on and sing with.

THE MANDOLIN- to me is more demanding. Almost impossible to fingerpick, and I'm having a hard time getting my right hand technique and tremelo down. (I've been playing mando more than anything including guitar the past few months.)

On the other hand, it is also very rewarding. It's a beautiful sounding instrument in the right hands. I'm not into bluegrass so I play old folk tunes and ragtime and blues stuff on it. It's a blast. But I don't think of it as a typical solo instrument outside of people who play Celtic or classical or renaissance type of music on it maybe.

You can get a good starter uke or mandolin very reasonably. I got my first mandolin last xmas from Musicians Friend for $49. It's a Rogue A-style with f-holes and it is an incredible deal for that price.

Ukes you can also get in the same range, but the quality varies. Some Mahalos, for instance, can be gotten for under $50, but some are good, some are crap. I owned a Lanikai for a while and while it really lacked volume, it was well made and played very well. I'd say the $50 Rogue is a great starter mando, while you might want to look at spending closer to $150+ for a comparable ukulele, but that's not gospel...it would be great if you could try some out.

I've been having a hard time with this sort of. I'm almost 40 and I've played guitar for over 30 years and always will, though I'm really just average. But I've picked up so many other instruments off and on over the years. In a way, they are sort of bumping into each other...I want to devote my time to all of them, but the result is, none of them get played as much as they should for me to be able to advance very far.

I am currently a classical guitar student-player and also play the Ukulele (Baritone) and learning the Mandolin. All three instruments complement each other and if you know your guitar fretboard well you will not have much

problems playing the other two instruments. The Baritone Uke is the largest in size within the Ukulele family and is tuned exactly like the first four strings of the guitar - EBGD - The Mandolin is tuned EADG just like a violin. The mandolins courses (two identical strings to each open note EADG) are very close together and instead of fingering most players use a pick. The Mandolin lends itself to the melody part of musical composition. The Baritone Uke is very versatile for either melody or chords playing. A good mandolin (solid top)

will cost about $200. and up. Solid-top Baritone Ukes can cost around $100.

and up. My Kentucky-label solid-top Mandolin cost me $240. with case. My

Blue Moon solid spruce top Uke cost me $85.00 (made in Europe). Age should

not deter you from trying something that you love. I picked the guitar in my

70's and have enjoyed every minute of it. Knowing how to read the musical staff will advance your learning as well as your ability to learn new music.

Good Luck

Look inti Folk of the Woods and Hobglobin Music USA for more intrument information and prices.

• Members

I spent a week once along time ago with Jethro as his driver. He said it was a matter of either giving up drinking or giving up driving,so he had drivers. Little known fact about Jethro, he could play the guitar about as well as he could play the mandolin.

Archived