Back to point zero!, New computer/lost with recording!

Misha

• Members

I can't remove the "hiss" anymore when I record either my voice or my guitar.

I think I need a better recording device!

I also hear my breath and sometimes my voice is not centered...

Well, I'm back to the start!

Maybe a Zoom H4 would fix it or a USB soundcard. I don't know!?

What would be best?

• Members

I can't remove the "hiss" anymore when I record either my voice or my guitar.

How did you remove the hiss before? If you haven't already, you could try something like Audacity's noise removal feature. Though if you play back the edited sound on hi-fi speakers, you will hear some (quieter) unusual sounds in place of the original noise.

• Members

I don't know if this will help or not.....

I had a huge problem with hiss when recording into my Fostex and it sounded even worse when I moved the files to my computer.

I fixed it by lowering the mic volume and the master gain on the recorder, then raised and/or adjusted the volume during the mixing phase. I'm thinking maybe you could do the same with your recording device, then fix it when mixing?

As for the vocals being off center, maybe a mono-stereo issue? :idk: Do you know if your mic is mono or stereo? If a stereo mic and/or headphones is plugged into a mono jack, the sound is one-sided.

• Members

I had a huge problem with hiss when recording into my Fostex and it sounded even worse when I moved the files to my computer.

I fixed it by lowering the mic volume and the master gain on the recorder, then raised and/or adjusted the volume during the mixing phase. I'm thinking maybe you could do the same with your recording device, then fix it when mixing?

As for the vocals being off center, maybe a mono-stereo issue?
:idk:
Do you know if your mic is mono or stereo? If a stereo mic and/or headphones is plugged into a mono jack, the sound is one-sided.

Yep. Tinkering, technique, finesse, etc, etc.

• Members

Yep. Tinkering, technique, finesse, etc, etc.

Yup. I don't know about anyone else, but for me finding the right settings consists of a lot of tinkering. Once I hit on something that sounds good, I try to write it down at that moment. Otherwise I forget and have to start all over again. :(

• Members

How did you remove the hiss before? If you haven't already, you could try something like Audacity's noise removal feature. Though if you play back the edited sound on hi-fi speakers, you will hear some (quieter) unusual sounds in place of the original noise.

It doesn't work anymore with Audacity or Cool edit Pro. it removes the hiss + the guitar even at the lowest setting.

And I agree with you. I hear something different wether I listen with my desktop pc , my laptop or headphones.

• Members

As for the vocals being off center, maybe a mono-stereo issue?
:idk:
Do you know if your mic is mono or stereo? If a stereo mic and/or headphones is plugged into a mono jack, the sound is one-sided.

You are right Samilyn. I adjusted a couple of things and it is a little better now, but I think I'm gonna get myself a little Zoom H4 as a Christmas gift!

Archived