Quickly tell me about Jay Turser model JTA-DS-NG

TN.Frank

• Members

Just got an e-mail from a guy with a Jay Turser model JTA-DS-NG(Natural Gloss?) and wanted to know more about em'. I hit the HC reviews and it looks like they're pretty good for the price. What else can ya'll tell me about this guitar. I've also got a guy that would give me a cash offer, would I be better off to take the cash and look around or take the Jay Turser and some cash? Thanks, talk to ya'll in a bit.

• Members

I'd not trade straight across by any means. He'd have to throw in some cash with the deal. I read on the reviews here that the JT was a pretty decent guitar and it should have a solid top IIRC. Most of the people in the reviews said they paid around $200 used for their guitars. This is an older one with the vine on the neck. Would $175 be too much to give in trade? That make it the JT and $150 cash for the Tak, that'd give me enough to get a case and a few other things I've been needing to fix up my Peavey Reactor.

• Members

Don't give up the Tak for the cash & the JT. Not a solid trade imo.

Have you ever played a JT? I've had one and it was a "pretty decent" guitar, but it wasn't in the same league as my old beat up Tak steel string.

This just may be a live and learn situation. Compared to your Alvarez and the Tak, you may get lucky and find that the JT out performs the Tak. I kinda doubt it. Again, you may get lucky. :idk:

Keep the Tak.

• Members

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Jay+Turser/JTA-DS+NG/10/1

Reviews have been pretty positive on the JT. I really want that dang Alvarez AD60S, if the guy that offered cash gets back to me I just might go that way but the JT is a nice looking and ,from what I've read, sounding guitar. I'm just going to keep an open mind for now and see what happens.

• Members

That's the guitar but not the place were I'd get it. They had it listed at $350. On the reviews here they were had used for anywhere from $140 to $200. The reviews were mostly positive. Like I said, I'd not trade the Tak straight across, I'd have to get at least $150 cash out of the deal or NO DEAL. I'd rather get cash for my Tak and buy something outright if I can't get at least $150 cash.

• Members

Sorry to say this - but I wouldn't trust reviews worth a damn. I'm pretty sure if you checked out the reviews to the takamine, they would be pretty great as well.

Remember, waiting before you make a decision is always a better idea. There will be other offers to make the cash to buy the Alvarez with. No need to jump into a deal right now.

• Members

He's still not gotten back to me yet. Maybe the guy with the offer to buy for cash will get back to me first and we can work a deal. That'd give me the freedom to check out a few guitars and have the money in hand to buy what I like. Still, that JT is a nice looking guitar.

• Members

Those Jay Tursers are awesome, don't play it ,you will fall in love with it, they are a little smaller than a Dread and flat out beautiful, the nicest acoustic, Turser ever made, I think you'd like the AD60s if that is what you want now, that Fusion series in MF is a great bargain, like $200 off regular price

Jim

• Members

I have no experience or opinion on the guitar in question, but my daughter has a low end Jay Turser and it is a plywood guitar. Sounds like a plywood box. My personal experience with my daughter's guitar, and other similar Jay Turser guitars I have played in stores would cause me never to buy one without trying it first.

Reviews are just one small data point.

Scott O

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have this exact guitar. I bought it about 5 years ago for $203 new. It is surprisingly good for the price. Unlike most of the Tursers which are made in China, this model was produced in Korea. The last new ones of this model were selling for about $250 max. Resale value, as expected, is not high for Tursers and I would doubt that a nice one would fetch $150, if that. I have to say, I really like the sound and action on this guitar. It ain't a Gibson or Taylor, but for the price, you can't beat it.

Archived