Yamaha FG 110

Tone Eee

• Members

The only acoustic I've ever had is a super beat up early Seventies FG 110. It needs new tuners, I had to re-repair the broken headstock yesterday, and a fretjob is really in the near near future.

Now, I know it is a POS, but it sounds damn good.

I'm putting stuff on Craigslist today and I was wondering if I should just dump this one for like $25 to $50 (hey, it's a mess) and look for another Craigslist prize.

Anyone know what sounds as good as this little beast but won't break the bank?

• Members

People on here love, love, love the Yamaha FG270S. Great solid topped guitar for well under three bills. And keep the 110. As a beater or a wall hanger, the memories will be worth more than a tank of gas. If you feel lke letting it go, set on the couch with it in your lap and watch "Ol' Yeller" and "The Yearling" and think it over.

• Members

People on here love, love, love the Yamaha
FG270S
. Great solid topped guitar for well under three bills. And keep the 110. As a beater or a wall hanger, the memories will be worth more than a tank of gas. If you feel lke letting it go, set on the couch with it in your lap and watch "Ol' Yeller" and "The Yearling" and think it over.

FG720S? :poke:

• Members

Raj has one the little early 70s Nippon Gakki red label FG110s.

It might be small, but it sounds like no one ever told it.:cool: I suspect that yours is worth some love and glue if it is in the same ballpark.

The owner himself is not about at the moment, but I'm sure will have words son this.

• Members

Romantics. Don't get wrapped up in things. That's reserved for people. If you can sell the Yamaha and something else to defray the cost of buying a new one, do so. If you don't later on you'll be saving that old Yamaha just to save it. There's an expression for people who collect their lifetime material possessions: "Save it, you might not need it."

• Members

The only acoustic I've ever had is a super beat up early Seventies FG 110. It needs new tuners, I had to re-repair the broken headstock yesterday, and a fretjob is really in the near near future.

Now, I know it is a POS, but it sounds damn good.

I'm putting stuff on Craigslist today and I was wondering if I should just dump this one for like $25 to $50 (hey, it's a mess) and look for another Craigslist prize.

As much as I like old Yamaha guitars, it sounds like that one is pretty far gone. If it's playable, it should be worth $50 tho. Not hardly worth parting with for any less.

• Members

The only thing weak about the Fg110's is the tuners. I think most Yamaha Tuners are of good to fantastic quality. The inlines on the 110 were only ok. Contact Stew Mac for some good replacements. She will play 30 years better than new. Oh yah, buy a 7XX series also. Yamaha has rebates going right now.

Yamaha Junkie is an enabler.:cool:

• Members

yes...Yamaha Dynamics. All solid wood and made before the FGs came into being, actually go back as far as the early 50s when Yamaha had 3 export models...#`s 30, 50 and 70, basically the same except for the rosettes and inlays but all made from maple/spruce. I have both the #30 and #50...as well as many other Dynamics, there were quite a few models, and later, in the early 60s they made another export #15 model, plain top and brownish/red back and sides with the white label with red dotted border...the abels went through several changes over time and the white/reds started in 1960, any other color came before that. I know Dynamics show up on line overseas because we`ve discussed them before, well, I discuss them and everybody else listens `cause they seem to be fairly unknown outside Japan, but well worth ooking for. Some players here use steels on em because of the metal winding posts but most use nylons...and don`t let that discourage you, they are plenty loud for small bodied solid maple guitars. Said it before but I`ll say it again, I`ve paid as little as $10.oo for some and most I paid was about $150.oo, do a search on this site and you`ll find plenty of pics I`ve posted of mine throughout the years. Not the mid `60s S series Dynamics but the ones that say Yamaha Dynamic Guitar in script on the headstock, the S series were Yamahas first shot at laminates and are OK but nowhere near the early Dynamics.

Archived