Anybody like Ray LaMontagne?

kwakatak

• Members

To each their own, Jim. FWIW I loved the "raw" nature of his first album. "Hold You In My ARms" and "Trouble" are two regular songs in my repertoire and I may give "Forever My Friend" and "Jolene" a crack too. I don't like his second album as much because its more overly-produced (too many strings) but I do like "Can I Stay". His 3rd album just came out and is on my Xmas list.

• Members

i feel that i can confidently say that if you don't like ray lamontagne, then you are a stupid face and you smell like an butt filled with scrotums.

i've said this a lot here, but i prefer the folky, guitar/vox ray to other incarnations.

love,

eor

• Members

uh...nope. Ray's Trouble > Cat Stevens

Is this in error, then (from Wikipedia):

"Trouble" is a song written by the English singer-songwriter and musician, Cat Stevens, during a period from 1969-1970. Stevens was recovering during what amounted to nearly a year of convalescence, after being diagnosed with a collapsed lung and tuberculosis. He spent three months in King Edward VII Hospital, Midhurst, England, transferring afterward to another nine months of bedrest at home.[1] Stevens, who was near death at the time he was admitted in the hospital, used the time he was recuperating for contemplation, and wrote dozens of songs, including "Trouble", many of which were recorded much later.

I don't know if it's the same song at all--never having heard Ray M's "Trouble"--but I know Cat's work well enough to know he didn't cover Ray M.

• Members

Stevens, who was near death at the time he was admitted in the hospital, used the time he was recuperating for contemplation, and wrote dozens of songs, including "Trouble", many of which were recorded much later.

I don't know if it's the same song at all--never having heard Ray M's "Trouble"--but I know Cat's work well enough to know he didn't cover Ray M.

Upon relistening to the Cat Stevens Trouble, the songs bear some similarities, but they are not the same and I was wrong: Cat Stevens Trouble > Ray's.

• Members

Stevens, who was near death at the time he was admitted in the hospital, used the time he was recuperating for contemplation, and wrote dozens of songs, including "Trouble", many of which were recorded much later.

Totally different/unrelated songs. Both fantastic.

RL has one of the most amazing voices ever. He's also another reason this forum is so great: I never heard of him until Clippity posted about him some time ago.

• Members

Damn. I just went back and listened to Jolene again and man oh man. The voice. The tone of that D-35. :love:

Words cannot describe the vibes I get off such things. I takes me back to the days of my earliest memories in the early 70s when this type of music was what was playing on the radio. Ray did a great job of capturing that vibe on his first album.

Archived