HD28 VS HD35 Martin

Dragontooth

• Members

I'm considering trading up from my D15 Custom to either a HD28 or HD35 and possibly the D28 or D35. I've been reading evaluations of all these instruments and can't determine (based on reports) which one to buy. They all seem to be "the best". I'd like to get away from the harsh highs of the D15 for a more mellow sound. I do however love the booming lows of the guitar I have. What do you folks recommend? I'd like to try before I buy but music stores which carry Martins are all over 100 miles from home and they don't carry all these models anyway. I'll take a chance on buying from an on-line source. They've treated me well in the past.

• Members

To spend those kinda bucks, I would drive wherever it took, Atlanta, NY, Nashville, LA, to actually play some high end Martins.

Every guitar is different.

But if your determined to mail order, then in general, just my experience:

Rosewood Martins are boomier than Mahogany ones.

Standard models may be a little punchier and more fundamental, but less sweet/complex a tone than HDs.

35s are a little mellower than 28s.

But that dont mean you wont find indivisdual guitars that turn these generalizations upside down. Really, every guitar is different. Id go play some.

• Members

Slim is right. You need to play a few first. Spend the time and the money and go to a big dealer. Take your tuner and some picks with you. Make em put fresh strings on if you need to. All dealers should have at least one D-28, some dealers will have some HD-28's and D-35's, but few will have any HD-35's tho, so you might have to resort to mail order for those.

If you do buy online, and are willing to wait a while, you will occasionally find some of those in MF's scratch n dent sales. They recently had an HD-35 and an HD-28 on there for big savings.Still with full warranty and return privileges, and most times you can't even find the alleged defect. They might even still be there.

If you buy online or mail order, and you have to return a git, you'll likely have to pay return shipping, so it might cost you a little that way.

• Members

Back in the day had a 67 d35 sold it for $600:facepalm: but have picked up alots of 35 and 28 in stores, pawn shops and friends over the years. JMHO 35 are better at solo because they are fuller but kind of get lost in the mix vs 28's seem to cut through the mix better. Or 35's are good for rhythm and 28's for lead. That being said there are a fair amount of skunks, a few are magical and don't discount used beat up ones that might be worth some repair. I there is a break-in period that takes at least several years of regular playing. Over the past several years have only found a couple of new that I would have bought off the shelf cause they sounded so good but my budget doesn't allow....black 35 johnny cash and a 28 john mayer. But if all possible wait...go to a big city and then play before you buy.

• Members

It's kind of hard to throw out a blanket statement these days because martin has different D-28 models out there. The general rule used to be that a D-35might have a bit more bass than a D-28 (not because of the 3-piece back, but because of thinner bracing)...But with the advent of D-28 models with "pre-war specs, larger soundholes, braces moved forward to the soundhole, rosewood bridgeplates, herringbone trim, pickguards under finish, different scale length models..any combination of this and other features) it's hard to say without playing a D-28 what it will sound like. Bottom line is that I'd recommend playing the guitar before you buy.

Be aware that a drednaught is already balanced pretty boomy, and as guitars age the top softens up a bit and even MORE bass shows up. Too much bass can be a bad thing. The guitar can begin to have a sloppy, rubber band- sounding treble and lose projection. I had a Brazilian rosewood Martin D-28 made to pre-war specs that cost a pretty penny. The sound over time became very mushy and far from ringing like a bell. I resorted to using extra light strings on it but eventually sold the guitar. Great pedigree, but not a great sound.

• Members

I own an HD-28. Prior to purchase, spent a lot of time at Elderly (only about 70 miles away), playing D-28's, D-35's, HD-28 and 35's (and a couple HD-28V's). As a general observation, I found the D-28 to be "tightest". The D-35 and HD-28 were fairly similar in tone (little more complex and overtones), with more bass and a more open tone.

The HD-35 was a little too bass heavy and "flabby" to my ear. The bracing is scalloped, as is the HD-28, but thinnner, like the D-35. That combination was just a little over the top to me.

I ended up choosing one of 4 HD-28's in stock at the time, after playing each extensively and having a sales guy play them for me too. Each of those had slightly different tone. Overall, the HD-28 had the tone I was looking for in a Martin dread.

Moral of the story--as everyone else recommends--play a bunch and pick with your ears. If you must order online, consider Elderly Instruments. They are excellent in all respects, very helpful and ususally have a large stock of Martins.

Happy hunting!

• Members

I bought my D28 Standard in 1985. I picked it out of about 6 28s and 2-3 18s in the store. At the time, I could not afford the extra 200-300 for the HD, which the reissue of had just came out that yr or yr before. If I could have afforded it, I would have paid more for the extra "shimmer" the HD28s seemed to have, and the allure of scalloped prewarr bracing and such.

23 yrs later, Im glad I bought the Standard and not the HD.

New, it was the loudest Martin in the store that day. Now she is still loud, but tone has gotten better and better over time, and now shes a really great guitar, woudnt trade it for the world.

If I was looking for a new Martin today, Id prob go with an Standard 18 to compliment her.

• Members

To spend those kinda bucks, I would drive wherever it took, Atlanta, NY, Nashville, LA, to actually play some high end Martins.

Every guitar is different.

But if your determined to mail order, then in general, just my experience:

Rosewood Martins are boomier than Mahogany ones.

Standard models may be a little punchier and more fundamental, but less sweet/complex a tone than HDs.

35s are a little mellower than 28s.

But that dont mean you wont find indivisdual guitars that turn these generalizations upside down. Really, every guitar is different. Id go play some.

+1

• Members

I bought my D28 Standard in 1985. I picked it out of about 6 28s and 2-3 18s in the store. At the time, I could not afford the extra 200-300 for the HD, which the reissue of had just came out that yr or yr before. If I could have afforded it, I would have paid more for the extra "shimmer" the HD28s seemed to have, and the allure of scalloped prewarr bracing and such.

23 yrs later, Im glad I bought the Standard and not the HD.

New, it was the loudest Martin in the store that day. Now she is still loud, but tone has gotten better and better over time, and now shes a really great guitar, woudnt trade it for the world.

If I was looking for a new Martin today, Id prob go with an Standard 18 to compliment her.

That is what many seem consider the typical difference in tone between the D-28 and HD version. The HD sounds new, as the D-28 will sound years down the road. My HD-28 has opened up a bit in the last couple years it seems, and may have lost a touch of "focus", in the process. Still sounds great, but it seems the bass is starting to overwhelm the trebles ever so slightly.

• Members

I own an HD-28. Prior to purchase, spent a lot of time at Elderly (only about 70 miles away), playing D-28's, D-35's, HD-28 and 35's (and a couple HD-28V's). As a general observation, I found the D-28 to be "tightest". The D-35 and HD-28 were fairly similar in tone (little more complex and overtones), with more bass and a more open tone.

The HD-35 was a little too bass heavy and "flabby" to my ear. The bracing is scalloped, as is the HD-28, but thinnner, like the D-35. That combination was just a little over the top to me.

I agree w. the above except maybe the "flabby" part. I owned an HD-35 from about 1990 until 2003. I loved that guitar. It had, too my ear, luscious & warm tone, ample volume, strong bass but "cutting" trebles were not it's strong suit. A bluegrasser friend always said it sounded like a Gibson, not a Martin. It sounded great & opened up real well, and the trebles improved, but it didn't really "cut". So I replaced it with a nice Gibson Advanced Jumbo RI that combined bass & power with strong treble for lead playing.

I've owned D-18s, D-28s (older ones) and played a bunch of other D-28s, D-35s and HD-28s. The HD-35 is a different animal than any of 'em, IMO. Very nice indeed if you don't want cutting power, don't play leads. It is kinda boomy to mike or record with, but so are many RW dreadnaughts.

Everybody who says to play a bunch is right, but if that's not an option at all (esp. an HD-35), I'd probably opt for an HD-28. I think all I've played have been good, solid guitars from the get-go. I'd probably have one if I wasn't a Gibson nut as that's primarily what I comped against at Elderly when I bought my AJ.

Good luck hunting!

Archived