Any good strings for Takamine ltd Koa?

porterrex

• Members

Hi,

Just restringed my Takamine limited 1992.

Used Elixir Light-medium means 0.12-0.56.

Doesnt give to that much of the deep tones. Any suggestion if I should try any other strings or what do you think of teh Elixir strings.

My guitar is in Koa.

Looking for good ideas but not a cheerful - try and find out :-)

• Members

Hard wood body, soft wood top. You need an 80/20 string set to get the most sound and tones out of it. Try the Dean Markley GoldBronze ALCHEMY.

I speak from experience. I just recently tried them on a Gibson with babinga wood. Its hard like Koa. It made a world of difference. I was about to sell the guitar after trying 7 or 8 different strings on it and wasn't happy with the sound or tone. I can't beleive what a difference it made. It was my first set of Dean Markleys. I swear by them now! They are an awesome string. Whats ever cooler is I can tune the guitar down a half a step to lighten the string tension and it still sounds great. No other string sounded even fair tuned a half step down. My strings are the 12-54's.

• Members

Its solid cedar. It has a good soundlevel but just if there would be a trick to get more base register from it. Otherways it has a really nice clear tone.

That is a beautiful Guitar BTW!

I tried EXP's on my Martin and thought they were a bit bright and lacking low end I liked. I did put them on a Tak that is all Mahogany and it livened that one up.

For the Martin and I suggest for your Koa/cedar I would use Martin SP Phospher Bronze strings.

• Members

With that top I don't see how a Phos Bronze string set would work out for you. Stick to the 80/20's.

PBs sound great on cedar tops and can sound great and just about any guitar out there.

And almost all guitars have softwood tops and hardwood back and sides, the common exceptions being walnut and mahogany tops.

• Members

Hi,

Just restringed my Takamine limited 1992.

Used Elixir Light-medium means 0.12-0.56.

Doesnt give to that much of the deep tones. Any suggestion if I should try any other strings or what do you think of teh Elixir strings.

My guitar is in Koa.

Looking for good ideas but not a cheerful - try and find out :-)

Try D`Addario EJ16s or EJ17s. They`re a bit warmer than Elixir`s PBs.

Also I`ve found Martin SPs to be very bright in my own experience.

Also Takamine`s NEX shape isn`t known for its low end. It`s a well balanced guitar that does handle strumming well though.

Just don`t expect it to sound like a good dread. It`s not made to sound that way.

• Members

My vote goes to the D'Addario phos bronze EJ16. I've found those to be the warmest, most resonant overall, whether I put 'em on a big dread or a little 000. Nice resonance and sustain to the bass and pretty, bell-like trebles.

I've never cared for the tones I get from Elixirs, but others here favor them. Pretty subjective, but you have my .02 anyway.

• Members

Hard wood body, soft wood top. You need an 80/20 string set to get the most sound and tones out of it. Try the Dean Markley GoldBronze ALCHEMY.

I speak from experience. I just recently tried them on a Gibson with babinga wood. Its hard like Koa. It made a world of difference. I was about to sell the guitar after trying 7 or 8 different strings on it and wasn't happy with the sound or tone. I can't beleive what a difference it made. It was my first set of Dean Markleys. I swear by them now! They are an awesome string. Whats ever cooler is I can tune the guitar down a half a step to lighten the string tension and it still sounds great. No other string sounded even fair tuned a half step down. My strings are the 12-54's.

Asanutz, I tried the regular DM Vintage Bronze strings on a Yamaha LS6 (Spruce w/Lam rosewood S/B). I did not like the sound. Do you know the difference between the Vintage Bronze and GoldBronze?

Archived