what options do i have? non-cutaways used under 1500 w/electronics

Stella Joop

• Members

Gibson J-45 comes to mind.

Also, you could find a good acoustic guitar for around $1300 or so and then add your own aftermarket pickup and have it installed by a professional.
More flexibility and possibly much better pickups if you go that route.

• Members

Gibson J-45 comes to mind.

Also, you could find a good acoustic guitar for around $1300 or so and then add your own aftermarket pickup and have it installed by a professional.

More flexibility and possibly much better pickups if you go that route.

yeah both of these options have occured to me. i played a used d28 for 1400 the other day that would need a pickup installed.

• Members

so far ive found a used guild d55 for 1400. but are there any other options?
what other makes and models can i search for matching this criteria?

Slim if you're looking for a non-cut with some sort of pre-installed p/u. The combo platter is usually a cutaway. Moctzal has it right with buying a decent guitar and adding the on-board stuff.

Now you're just looking for a decent guitar and $1500.00 gets your options way up there. Oh, put a K&K Pure Western Mini (PWM) in it. They're close to $100.00. Then you'll need a preamp. A Baggs is about $150.00 so I'm guessing your budget is now $1250.00 for the guitar. Still, great many good guitars in that range.

• Members

cant play it first unfortunately...but i could only imagine.

also found a 1966 gibson j-50 for 1200. two repaired cracks in the top...vintage coolness points abound though. :o

i played a 66 j45 with some repairs done to it, that while being nice...didnt stand up to many of the newer models.

• Members

There's a mom/pop by me with a '63(?) J45 that plays nicely. One thing about that guitar is the pick guard has a translucent tortoise shell look, somewhat faded, but it's thick and feels padded. Yep, it's squishy like a bubble. Anyone know anything about that? I played it last night. The finish is intact but at an angle it looks crackled like the varnish on an old, old oil painting. It's on consignment to the store. The owner is asking $1700.00, IIRC. It's got a great blues thump.

Archived