Decisions Decisions!!!!

rwe416

• Members

I have read alot about the Yamaha guitars. So here is my dilema. I have an Epiphone AJ-500RC and was wondering if it is worth selling and get a Yamaha FG720S. I have not heard a single bad review on this model. I saw in another post where I can get one for $249 with free shipping. This is for my 17 yr. old son.

Has anyone owned both or have a suggestion on what I should do? I know it is like comparing apples to apples. Just asking for suggestions from a more experienced group.

• Members

If I am not mistaken, that is a model from the Masterbilt series, no?

If so, as much as I like Yamaha, I suspect that trade off would be a lateral move at best. Every Masterbilt I ever played holds their own against most other brands and models in their price point class.

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I do not play but my son does. He started playing at age 11 and self taught himself. He does a really good job and has written a couple of songs. I think I will keep the Epi.

We sing in churches and I would like to find him a decent 12 string. The sound that a 12 makes, in most praise music, is awesome. Any suggestions that will not break the bank?

• Members

Thanks for the replies. I do not play but my son does. He started playing at age 11 and self taught himself. He does a really good job and has written a couple of songs. I think I will keep the Epi.

We sing in churches and I would like to find him a decent 12 string. The sound that a 12 makes, in most praise music, is awesome. Any suggestions that will not break the bank?

Check out a Martin D12X1. I have one and it's an incredible sounding 12-er for the bucks. Used ones can be found for around $500. You can hear mine at the Annex or listen to this clip: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7043540

Another moderately priced, great sounding 12-er is Seagull. Can be had with either spruce or cedar top. The cedar produces exceptionally warm tones.

• Members

Even the least expensive F-series Yamaha laminate is a great little guitar... and never a dud in the lot... and the FG720S at about $240 is a great solid-top. I have no love for Epiphones, however, I suspect the model you have is a fine guitar.

• Members

As much as I love what Yamaha is doing for guitars (I own two) I can't see a reason to part with the one you have.

The ONLY real solution is to keep it and buy the FG...You will be pleased and...............................

Man does not live by one guitar alone!

• Members

I played a Masterbuilt after buying my Martin. It was a tone monster for sure.

No way would I sacrifice a Masterbuilt for a Yamaha 700 series guitar.

Don't get me wrong, the 700 series are good guitars for the money but have nothing over on a Masterbuilt.

I was pleasantly surprised of the tone that chimed and how full a tone it had.

The neck felt a little different from my Martin but so does the 1979 Tak that was my moms guitar and is nothing I couldn't get used to.

• Members

IMHO, best bang for the buck on a decent 12 string is the Yamaha FG-720S-12 Around $300

• Members

I played a Masterbuilt after buying my Martin. It was a tone monster for sure.

No way would I sacrifice a Masterbuilt for a Yamaha 700 series guitar.

Don't get me wrong, the 700 series are good guitars for the money but have nothing over on a Masterbuilt.

I was pleasantly surprised of the tone that chimed and how full a tone it had.

The neck felt a little different from my Martin but so does the 1979 Tak that was my moms guitar and is nothing I couldn't get used to.

:thu:

The Masterbilt is a whole different breed of critter than just a plain Epi. I highly recommend Yammies, but wouldn't trade a Masterbilt for one.

• Members

If I am not mistaken, that is a model from the Masterbilt series, no?

If so, as much as I like Yamaha, I suspect that trade off would be a lateral move at best. Every Masterbilt I ever played holds their own against most other brands and models in their price point class.

No not lateral, down. Period.

Those Yammies are nice, but not as nice as a Masterbilt.

Nah, not a good move. If there was a thumbs down smiley I'd put it here.

• Members

Major point, you've GOT the Epi. Great guitar with an excellant pick up system installed. Considering the market these days, any sale or trade you make will not be to your advantage. Play it for a year, 18 months. You always have the option to find something your son likes better in the future.

Archived