Inquiry About Age of an Angelica Guitar

SeptemberBaby

• Members

My son received an Angelica Guitar from a friend of a friend and I was wondering if there any way to tell what year is was made.

I couldn't find a website for Angelica.

The model number is F 200

Can anyone help me or direct me where I could find this information out?

Thanks!

• Members

My son received an Angelica Guitar from a friend of a friend and I was wondering if there any way to tell what year is was made.

Thanks!

Hello & Welcome

I'm afraid I know nothing about the brand but someone here probably does. Terry Allan Hall is pretty clued up on little-known brands so he may come up with some info.

• Members

I've owned a couple of inexpensive Angelica 3/4 size classicals. (Assuming it's the same company.) One was $40 (on sale at Sam Ash) and the next (the first got irreparably broken -- but not until after some serious abuse and two neck reglues) cost $50. The first was a better guitar (and kinda sorry I trashed it so badly) but I've put a lot of miles on the second, as well. They're plywood, Chinese made, and probably a pretty reasonable deal for the money. I looked at some Angelicas from another model line, though, and some of them seemed poorly made. I suspect they're bought from different factories. (Although my two 3/4's were almost certainly from the same factory but probably different workers/QC.) I'd buy another for the same money with the same, bang-it-around/go-anywhere/throw-it-bare-in-the-trunk use philosophy.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Thanks!

I can't date the age of your guitar, but I use to own a 12 string angelica. I bought it in 1976 in sam Ash in paramas NJ for $100. It was agreat guitar. I would frequently have people ask if it was a Martin or Gibson by the sound. Unfortunately, i sold it in 1982 as I was primarily a drummer and didn't play often enough. I would check with someone from Sam Ash for specifics, especially if you can find someone from the '70's. I also owned an angelica banjo that I bought at the same time (I was into Country-rock). keep that guitar.

mdg

• 5 years later...
  • Members

1967 to 1975 - Angelica, a brand name used by UK importers Boosey & Hawkes. Entry level guitars and basses based on classic American designs. Made in Japan. Source: Tony Bacon and Paul Day, The Gurus Guide

angelica_label.jpg

angelica.jpg

angelica_boosey&hawkes.jpg

angelica_head.jpg

Edited by Idunno
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • Members

All, I have had (now) three Angelica acoustic guitars. The first was an inexpensive 6 string acoustic (purchased from Sam Ash the mid to late 1970s). has an interesting neck configuration (with neck bolting straight into the body of the guitar. the Action has been perfect from day one and remains so 30 years later. My second Angelica is a blond 12 string with a Jumbo body and beautiful ornamentation on fretboard and pickguard. I have had this one since late 1970s and it sounds as beautiful as it looks. I never made the connection between my Angelica 12 string and the Gibson J-200 until recently, when I have been looking at buying a Gibson J-200... Quite accidentally, I looked up Angelica 6 strings on the internet and found an amazing Angelica 6 string also from the 1970s which is almost the sister to my 12 string. in addition to the beautiful blond wood and inlaid fretboard and fancy pickguard, the end of the fretboard has the fancy scroll end (like the J-200 and L-5 Gibson have). Summarizing, Angelica made some wonderful acoustic guitars which Sam Ash sold in the 1970s and I have enjoyed my first two for years and this most recent acquisition (purchased through Reberb.com) looking forward to years of enjoyment going forward..

Edited by pmougis
adding a photo of my recently acquired 6 String Angelica
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Hi there - I just found an Angelica in our loft. Wondering if anyone has any idea how old it is? All it says on the inside is Angelica, Model No. 2857, Supplied by Boosey and Hawkes, London. 

The machine heads look like they could do with replacing - does anyone know whether machine heads come in various sizes for this type of guitar? I am an amateur so looking for advise! 

• Members
7 hours ago, The_Jalantikus said:

Hi there - I just found an Angelica in our loft. Wondering if anyone has any idea how old it is? All it says on the inside is Angelica, Model No. 2857, Supplied by Boosey and Hawkes, London. 

The machine heads look like they could do with replacing - does anyone know whether machine heads come in various sizes for this type of guitar? I am an amateur so looking for advise! 

Hi and welcome to the Forums. Scroll up a ways to Idunno's post for information about Angelica guitars. Your guitar was made sometime between 1967 and 1975. Inexpensive guitars generally have generic interchangeable "die cast" tuners but there are exceptions. A local music store should be able to help you find replacement tuning machines.

• Members

I bought my Angelica model 9220 DN at Sam Ash in 1978.  It's an exquisite replica of a M D-28 dreadnought.  It's retained its rich tone and resonance and plays as well today as when new.  Weak link are the machine heads.  Getting a little drusy with age.  These are the sealed Bakelite frame units - out of production for decades.  Any guidance anyone could provide on optimum replacements would be appreciated.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

So, I just did a Google search for “angelica guitar“ and came up with a bunch of pages.  Not that you’ll ever post again, but did you?

Seriously, check out this forum’s topics.  Most are 10 year old threads dredged up by 1st time posters who never post again.  There’s good info here, but it’s getting very odd.

Below, someone will welcome you to the forum.  

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I am just adding a bit more background on the 6 string Angelica.  I have a Boosey and Hawkes Angelica guitar I was given in 1958/59.  There is no model number but the label says it was Made in Korea.  I haven’t played it properly myself for many years but it still plays well and I am going to pass it on to my granddaughter.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I have an Angelica 6 string that I bought back in the 70's from SAM ASH. It is made in Japan and is Model 6710 on the label inside. It was inexpensive back then. I just had to setup the bolt on neck and action because I allowed it to dry out. But it sounds good and plays well. I am not sure of the construction. I suppose the wood has aged well.