Morgan Monroe Creekside MV-01 (NGD)

Stackabones

• Members

There's a lot of webtalk about the Morgan Monroe Blues 32, but not much about this one (though fellow HCer DonK has some great posts).

This is a super sweet 00 -- small bodied, short-scale dream. What a player! Most of the specs are in the link above, except for saddle spacing -- 2 3/32" -- and the pins appear to be rosewood), about 3 1/8" deep at the neck joint to 3 5/8" at the end pin. Very comfy in lap and it feels like an old friend. Well-balanced across the tonal spectrum, it should suit most fingerpicking and the strumming sound bring out a little shimmer.

I wish I were a better photographer to bring all the little details that make this guitar a wonderful bit of eye candy. The binding looks like antique ivory. The satin finish allows the sound to be responsive and actually looks fantastic. The soundhole is carved into the top. Along the sides of the fretboard are cool stripes ... actually frames the fretboard. Understated fret dot inlays have character and detail that can't be seen with my shutterbug skills.

All these gits come with a snazzy faux alligator case that has a built-in hygrometer. Case is light and the double handles make carrying it around a breeze (very easy to transport, especially going from house to house as I do in my teaching biz).

Online you can get one for $399 and it's a real deal. I found mine used and the previous owner added B-Band electronics. I got the whole thing for $299. :)

100_0961.jpg

100_0962.jpg

100_0957.jpg

100_0956.jpg

100_0955.jpg

100_0963.jpg

100_0954.jpg

• Members

Very nice looking guitar.....Please post something up on it, so we can hear it.

To date, the only Monroes I have played and liked were a M15 and M30. But they were incredibly well built and fantastic sounding instruments. At that price point these guitars should sell well. You gotta love that case too. The only dealer I know in my area told me they quit offering that case with the guitar....you got a great deal.

• Members

The only dealer I know in my area told me they quit offering that case with the guitar....you got a great deal.

I wonder about that. The website says it's still part of the package and every web retail site offered it, but your dealer could be more up-to-date. The included case could be a thing of the past. If so, snatch 'em up!

That's a beautiful guitar!! I have a local dealer and have really enjoyed playing they're guitars. Nicely made. Very beautiful. And excellent tone qualities. The dreads have a very Martin like bass with a nicely balanced chime coming from the higher strings.

Congrats!!!

goat_vending.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Beautiful guitar & such a bargain. :thu:

I would have to straighten that 1st string tuner though & do something to secure the wiring. That's not a criticism. I would rather a builder put most of their effort into materials & quality of construction & if necessary, leave some details for me to take care of. That way I may be able to afford to buy one! ;)

Cheers,

kev

• Members

Beautiful guitar & such a bargain.
:thu:
I would have to straighten that 1st string tuner though & do something to secure the wiring. That's not a criticism. I would rather a builder put most of their effort into materials & quality of construction & if necessary, leave some details for me to take care of. That way I may be able to afford to buy one!
;)
Cheers,

kev

Thanks, kev.

The tuner is definitely something the builder could be criticized for -- but it gives it a little character, don't ya think. ;)

The wires are aftermarket (installed by the previous owner and not the builder). Stock, the guitar has no electronics. I'd actually prefer it that way, but it's cool that the system is there.

• Members

I love the Old timey looks of the Morgan Monroe guitars that they're building now. My "Natural" that I'm getting looks like a new guitar but it played and sounded so great that I don't mind. At a later date I'd love one of their slope sided Dreads. Congrats on the new guitar, looks great.:thu:

• Members

Beautiful guitar & such a bargain.
:thu:
I would have to straighten that 1st string tuner though & do something to secure the wiring. That's not a criticism. I would rather a builder put most of their effort into materials & quality of construction & if necessary, leave some details for me to take care of. That way I may be able to afford to buy one!
;)
Cheers,

kev

Looks like a bad factory drill jig or the guy installing the tuners didn't get his raise.

http://www.fretstore.com/images/MV-01tuners.JPG

It's a good price for the guitar from what I can see. Is this touted as a finger picking guitar? I'd think minimally it would have a 1-3/4 nut if so.

Congrats, Stack. How's it sound? Clips?

• Members

Looks like a bad factory drill jig or the guy installing the tuners didn't get his raise.

It's a good price for the guitar from what I can see. Is this touted as a finger picking guitar? I'd think minimally it would have a 1-3/4 nut if so.

Congrats, Stack. How's it sound? Clips?

Sounds pretty good. I really enjoy playing this guitar around the house. I've played it on a few gigs, but this week and perhaps till the end of year I'm going to play out more often with it.

I know that some guitars are supposed to be suited for pickstyle or fingerstyle, but I don't completely go in for it (even though there is a bit of truth in it I suppose). I play fingerstyle, but because of my purely acoustic gig status lately I've only been playing with picks.

Here's the first clip I made with it. (btw, flatpicked) Almost everything I've recorded since then has been on this guitar -- with just a few exceptions.

• Members

Sounds pretty good. I really enjoy playing this guitar around the house. I've played it on a few gigs, but this week and perhaps till the end of year I'm going to play out more often with it.

I know that some guitars are supposed to be suited for pickstyle or fingerstyle, but I don't completely go in for it (even though there is a bit of truth in it I suppose). I play fingerstyle, but because of my purely acoustic gig status lately I've only been playing with picks.

(btw, flatpicked) Almost everything I've recorded since then has been on this guitar -- with just a few exceptions.

Hey Hansel, is that a clip or breadcrumbs back to here?

Archived