MIJ Martin Copy - input?

ClassicRockEt

• Members

I bought this "Nashville" M series, model N600D, made in Japan by Hayashi, Martin copy new somewhere around 30 years ago... has had very little play, so now that we're moving I plan to put it up for sale. I was able to contact two Japanese collectors who offered the following info:

"Guitar has a solid spruce top, side and back are rosewood, neck is mahogany, ebony fretboard, high grade volute neck, snow flake inlay, (mini) flower pot head inlay"

"Hayashi Gakki Company was established by Mr. Momose who also established today

• Members

That is a lovely guitar.

Advertise? You wanting to advertise for more info or you advertising the git for sale?

As for Martin clones made 30 years ago, there were several, and some of them were wonderful, such as the Tak F400-S.

If you can find info on the back and sides, you would want to include in your description if the back and sides are solid wood or laminate.

Additionally, you might want to have it checked out by a qualified git tech or luthier to determine if the neck angle is still good. Being around 30 years old it might be a candidate for a neck reset which is rather expensive and would reduce the value of the guitar.

Also check for abnormal bellying in the area of the bridge and check the bridge itself to see if it's still securely attached to the belly. Such things are the bane of vintage guitars and can require the services of a luthier.

If all is well, that's a good point to make in your description. If things are not well and you want to sell the guitar, you either need to have them repaired (and tell the buyer) or inform the buyer that these issues exist and need to be addressed.

• Members

If I were you, I'd try to get a couple of close-up shots of the front and back of the guitar if it's in really pristine condition. I'd also get a side shot showing a close up of the neck joint and also the string relief at the 12th fret and one more showing the headstock detail.

I don't care for the way Ebay handles sales these days, so I'd suggest Craig's List or right here in the HCAG classified ads department.

I'd also be interested in what part of the world you live in......you may find someone right here on the forum who may be interested in it. I know, for a fact, it caught my eye and I've never even heard of that brand before. Nice guitar, BTW!.

• Members

Thanks very much to all for your great advice and suggestions - yes, I'm planning to sell my guitar and was looking for recommendations on where to advertise it and what to say in order to draw serious interest... I have an emotional (yeah, go ahead and laugh) attachment to this beautiful instrument... didn't want to list it out to the general public where someone is looking to buy a cheap-o guitar to beat up!

Believe it or not, this guitar still has a very distinct sweet, woody, earthy scent -- I've kept it in the hard case, when not in use, since I bought it those 30+ years ago (non-smoker).

Back toward the end of the hippy-trippy days in the DC area I finally decided to get a REAL guitar rather than play ballad/soft rock on the warped, beat-up boxes I could beg/borrow (mostly RnR acoustic jam rejects that didn't have anything resembling good sound) ;) So... this guitar was purchased for big bucks just 'cause I loved its tone/play and couldn't afford a real Martin (couldn't afford this guitar either, but it was still less expensive than the Martin ).

Life and time go onward, and playing music just doesn't happen these days. I'm gearing up for an overseas move, so I would really hope that I can sell my guitar to someone who'll love it too. I'm in the mid-atlantic region - about 2 hours to DC or Philly.

I've posted more git photos on the web at:

http://www.netlimo.com

The only imperfections to the original finish that can even be noticed are in pic 04108 which shows about a 1" superficial scratch on the lower left of the back, and in pic 04017 which shows about an inch of what looks like "hazing" to the finish. Gee, I wish *I* only had those few marks :thu:

As for Craig's List... guess it's worth a try, but I don't hold a whole lot of hope that that will draw serious interest. And I definitely agree that eBay's gone down the dumper these days (unless you want to *buy* something for almost nothing ).

I plan to take the advice to post a listing in the sell forum here... I'm not a git expert, just a music lover and one who appreciates beauty in the natural side of life. ;)

• Members

I remember the Nashville brand. Very much upscale instruments compared to the Aria, Iida, Alvarez, Nagoya, Tama, Ibanez etc. stuff that was coming out at the time.

The only one I examined at the time was an arch-top/raised-head banjo. Damn few of those were being manufactured then. Outside of a little excess rubbing compound remaining on it, it was an exceptional instrument. I kick my ass to this day for not buying it.

"Solid top, neck volute, ebony fingerboard, mini-snowflake inlay"... That sounds like top of the line. Look hard for any comp sales. What would a 30 year old Blueridge sell for? Though I recall seeing ads in BU, Pickin', Banjo Newsletter, etc, They may have been a mid-Atlantic thing. The one I saw was at Chuck Levin's.

Don't sell yourself short. Most people may not see anything but an old No-Name import. I think it's more than that. You mght try consignment deal with a music shop you know and trust (get the agreement in writing), as people who know guitars will judge first hand by playing.

Man, I wish I'd bought that banjo...

• Members

Nashvilles show up on line in Japan sometimes, don`t remember any selling for big money...maybe not as collectable as some of the other brands...and there were MANY other brands.

The Japanese were making lots of high ends at the time, seems that most were not exported...and they made their share of crap as well, and lots has survided as it`s all over the web here. I do not have access to any old Nashville catalogs but like I said, Deviser is still in Business...Mr. Momose is still building guitars...I have quite a few Bacchus electrics among others...part of his company too. I have contacted them in English before and they replied...which does not always happen in Japan, most of my mails get ignored...even when I get my wife to send them in Japanese we don`t always get a reply. But Deviser has been helpful.

If you are going to sell it on line, mention the Deviser name and the connection to Bacchus...10 years ago nobody, not even the Japanese were interested in his guitars, then a few people overseas started bragging about theirs and next thing you know they got swept up in the feeding frenzy thats been underway on older MIJs for several years now. Fortunately I go mine before...can`t find them at the same prices I used because the Japanese have the internet too and are now aware that lots of folks are now after the same guitars nobody wanted not so long ago.

• Members

Many thanks again for the compliments and advice...

I've e-mailed Deviser and will see if I get a reply.

I also received a copy of a one-page Nashville catalog ad circa 70's from a Japanese collector, and there was a pic of my guitar -- apparently there were other mij's using the "Nashville" name during that timeframe as well. It appears that the ad doesn't have any details regarding the factory, but then again I don't read Japanese :-)

Now that I've cast info into the "wind" I'll keep fingers crossed that someone trips across it, buys this guitar and gives it a good home ;)

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Now that summer is here and I have a little more time to focus, I'm going to start advertising this guitar in earnest. Someone who has experience with MIJ guitars wrote and suggested I sell my guitar for around $850. That isn't a whole lot more than I paid for it 30 years ago w. case -- but if that's where it fits in the market, c'est la vie. Anyone have any thoughts on this price, before I start spending time on ads?

PS: Deviser never responded to my e-mail :-(

Happy 4th all!

• Members

Now that summer is here and I have a little more time to focus, I'm going to start advertising this guitar in earnest. Someone who has experience with MIJ guitars wrote and suggested I sell my guitar for around $850. That isn't a whole lot more than I paid for it 30 years ago w. case -- but if that's where it fits in the market, c'est la vie. Anyone have any thoughts on this price, before I start spending time on ads?

PS: Deviser never responded to my e-mail :-(

Happy 4th all!

As clean as that seems to be, I'd price it at $1500/OBO and see if you get any nibbles,,,you call always drop your price (in increments), but raising it is going to be harder!

• 8 years later...

Archived