Happy NGD

• Members

I just bought a 1985 DY48 Yairi in a local pawn shop. $170.00 no case.

I think I made a tremendous deal. It is hog lam B/S and solid spru top. It also has an aftermarket UST, though I haven't had a chance to examine and see what kind. It has some mileage, but it has extra-light strings on it and appears that has always been the gauge it's had used on it. The frets are in amazingly good condition, except for a couple of spots, that can be polished out, I beleive. It does have it's share of dings but there are no signs of structural problems anywhere. At the edge of the pickguard, there is about a quarter-sized area where the pick has chewed off the finish to bare wood. No hole. Plays and sounds amazing, even with "green" pawn shop strings. I am ecstatic!!!!

Good Deal?

RT1

• Members

I put on the new strings and have been sanding and fitting a compensated bone saddle that I bought some time back. So far it's fitting perfectly, though still a little high on the action. It's actually seen in one of the photos up top. You can tell, if you look real close how high the strings are. That's when I first started working on it yesterday afternoon. It's much better now, but I've got a couple of mm's to go to get it where I want it.

Thanks for the goats, guys!!! I plan on doing the next VOM with this guitar

RT1:thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

hey guys! I just got back home a few hours ago from a short vacation. I took the Yairi with me so I would have something to do. I found myself playing it a lot, actually. Action is still a bit high, but I plan to remedy that tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the goats!

On the downside, I found that the pickup is a truly cheap piezo and really doesn't sound good at all. Also, it is always about a half decibel away from feedback. I'm looking at a new jjb. They're making them in a mini, like the K&K now. That's a very good thing because the one in my MD80, with the large piezo's is way too heavy on the bass and requires a lot of EQ to tune in a good sound.

RT1:thu:

Archived