Frets99

Okay, here's a couple of pictures.

Martin01.jpg

Martin02.jpg

With my Johnson

Martin03.jpg

And now the split

Martinsplit.jpg

Neck is to the left and body is to the right. The separation is wider than a medium pick!

What do you guys think? Send her to Martin immediately?

• Members

What do you guys think? Send her to Martin immediately?

I'm pretty sure that model has a bolt-on neck. You might be able to fix it yourself by popping off the name plate from the neck block and tightening the bolt.

Or, if it's under warranty, send it to Martin.

• Members

That guitar has a mortise/tenon neck, not a bolt-on neck. The mortise and tenon are glued solidly together. (or at least they're supposed to be!) There is a screw on the neck block under the name plate that is there just to hold the mortise and tenon in alignment while the glue dries during assembly. If that screw has any effect on the neck angle, the neck needs to be re-glued.

That gap does look like it's a bit more than it should be.

• Members

That guitar has a mortise/tenon neck, not a bolt-on neck. The mortise and tenon are glued solidly together. (or at least they're supposed to be!) There is a screw on the neck block under the name plate that is there just to hold the mortise and tenon in alignment while the glue dries during assembly. If that screw has any effect on the neck angle, the neck needs to be re-glued.

That gap does look like it's a bit more than it should be.

Some people say it's the glue that keeps the neck on, some people say it's the bolt.

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/reply/1113624/t/Loose-neck.html

• Members

I'm pretty sure that model has a bolt-on neck. You might be able to fix it yourself by popping off the name plate from the neck block and tightening the bolt.

Or, if it's under warranty, send it to Martin.

I just did a repair last week on a 000-15 with exactly the same problem.

As you suggest, the bolt for the neck was very loose.

Snugging it up took care of the problem.

• Members

The screw must be sufficient as a structural element.

I called Martin & talked with one of their techs, before beginning the repair & was told that tightening the screw would be a satisfactory repair for the problem.

However, to be on the safe side I did flow some glue into the neck pocket area as well.

• Members

Sounds to me like the bolt needs to be tightened but I'd have them check the glue too. Something made it want to come loose.

BTW, I am in SEVERE guitar envy. I only listened to the first few seconds of your clip and thought to myself "now THAT'S what a dread is supposed to sound like!" :love:

I gotta get me one of those one of these days. :o

• Members

Funny, sounds just like a Martin dread. From what I hear, that guitar has brighter trebles, more balanced bass and greater clarity than a typical D-28. I would be interested in the bracing. Must be different than a D-28. Get that neck stable and have fun. Congrats for the new king of the acoustic roost.

• Members

Funny, sounds just like a Martin dread. From what I hear, that guitar has brighter trebles, more balanced bass and greater clarity than a typical D-28. I would be interested in the bracing. Must be different than a D-28. Get that neck stable and have fun. Congrats for the new king of the acoustic roost.

I thought I'd heard they had the "A frame" bracing but most websites advertise it as "Famous Martin X Bracing" so maybe not. I've played a few and the MMV is a fine guitar from what I got out of it. Hope this "gap" problem is easily remedied. Congrats to the OP on the Martin!

• Members

I thought I'd heard they had the "A frame" bracing but most websites advertise it as "Famous Martin X Bracing" so maybe not. I've played a few and the MMV is a fine guitar from what I got out of it. Hope this "gap" problem is easily remedied. Congrats to the OP on the Martin!

Yup. They're based upon a D-15 chassis. Upgrades are pretty simple really: rosewood instead of mahogany back & sides, sitka spruce instead of mahogany top, ebony fretboard and bridge instead of rosewood (they don't use micarta on the 15 series) and then add full gloss to the body, a real inlaid rosette (standard 15 series only have a decal, 15M's have inlay) and gold hardware and voila you have a poor man's HD-28. My only gripe with them is that they seem to weigh a lot more than a 28. I don't know why that is but it doesn't seem to hurt the tone.

• Members

Yup. They're based upon a D-15 chassis. Upgrades are pretty simple really: rosewood instead of mahogany back & sides, sitka spruce instead of mahogany top, ebony fretboard and bridge instead of rosewood (they don't use micarta on the 15 series) and then add full gloss to the body, a real inlaid rosette (standard 15 series only have a decal, 15M's have inlay) and gold hardware and
voila
you have a poor man's HD-28. My only gripe with them is that they seem to weigh a lot more than a 28. I don't know why that is but it doesn't seem to hurt the tone.

What's the neck made of? Or is it "select hardwood". :)

• Members

First - happy NGD!!!!!

Second - I think I'd have your friend (the original owner) send it off for a warranty repair. It's free - so why not? Even if you have to pay shipping, you've got one heckuva git and one heckuva deal on your hands.

I think, I'd like to take a look at the bolt myself soon and decide whether or not it needs to go to Martin. The fix seems relatively simple from what I've been reading.

Yesterday, I brought it to church to play and it was wonderful. However, I had a gig that I needed to go to straight from church. It was outdoors. I play bass for my bluegrass band. It was an outdoor show and plenty warm. I decided to take the guitar out of the trunk and leave it in the shade. Still plenty hot. When I went to play it this morning, all the strings were flat about a half step except for the low E which was flatter by a couple of steps. Also, the strings seemed further away from the fretboard up the neck. I took the strings off and want to take a look at the bolt tonight.

• Members

I think, I'd like to take a look at the bolt myself soon and decide whether or not it needs to go to Martin. The fix seems relatively simple from what I've been reading.

Yesterday, I brought it to church to play and it was wonderful. However, I had a gig that I needed to go to straight from church. It was outdoors. I play bass for my bluegrass band. It was an outdoor show and plenty warm. I decided to take the guitar out of the trunk and leave it in the shade. Still plenty hot. When I went to play it this morning, all the strings were flat about a half step except for the low E which was flatter by a couple of steps. Also, the strings seemed further away from the fretboard up the neck. I took the strings off and want to take a look at the bolt tonight.

Um....

I would think tightening a bolt enough to eliminate the gap at the heel would be enough to change the neck angle of the guitar. That being the case - if the guitar is currently set up properly - it would also change what would be an appropriate saddle height.

I dunno. I'd be a bit nervous about doing that myself.

Um....

I would think tightening a bolt enough to eliminate the gap at the heel would be enough to change the neck angle of the guitar. That being the case - if the guitar is currently set up properly - it would also change what would be an appropriate saddle height.

I dunno. I'd be a bit nervous about doing that myself.

I'm not sure I'd do the actual work. I just want to look at it. I'm kind of klutzy anyway and a Martin isn't the best guitar to "learn" how to do a repair!! :p

Archived