Takamine EG523SC--my latest lust

Chicken Monkey

• Members

I haven't played one yet, but I've got a friend with a very similar model (with a figured hardwood top) that I love, and they've got a used one at GC. I was going to try it out, but it was on the top hangers, and some old fart started wailing away at out-of-time surf tunes just outside the acoustic room.

It's in my price range, though I haven't got the money saved up yet. The money's in the bank, it's just kind of earmarked, and I've got to save up my self-allowed "allowance" for a while. I don't like shopping at GC, but they've got the guitar I want, so I might have to. I'm going to shop around first, though.

Anyone have experience with this guitar? It's the A/E jumbo with the cutaway and fancy pickguard.

• Members

Try it first. You might find that they're a bit on the bright side tonally.

I know that once upon a time I thought really hard about that model but my lust was based on looks. There weren't any around so I continued shopping around, trying just about every guitar I could get my hands on. By the time I finally got to try one I found that the tone wasn't what I'd expected.

• Members

The inlays make it look very attractive but I owned one when all I cared about was having a nice looking cutaway electric-acoustic jumbo. Later I realized that unplugged it wasn't all that. :rolleyes: Like Kwak said try it and make sure it has a nice full sound or at least sounds good plugged in. They don't sound half as good as they look IMO. I'm kind of surprised at a lot of the rave reviews at online sites that sell it. At least you're able to play it before buying. That's not always the case with many brands unfortunately.

• Members

Hm. Like I said, I really liked my friends, which is also a jumbo cutaway, but with a different top wood. I'm surprised by this reaction.

Could his be this one? Tak doesn't sell many different jumbo cutaway models.

http://www.zozomusic.com/musicstore/pc/Takamine-TF250SMC-Santa-Fe-Jumbo-Cutaway-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-68p969.htm

If it's a Santa Fe' it could very likely sound better than a G series considering the huge price difference. I'm just giving you a heads up from my own experience on the EG model..... not telling you what to buy or not buy. The problem with jumbo cutaways is that they are so few and far between it's hard to find a store where you can compare one to another.

• Members

I played one at a Guitar Center, and I was disappointed. I didn't really dig the way it played. It felt kinda cheap. It could have been that it had really lousy strings on it and needed a setup. I have a Tak Eg 530 SSC (dread) and I really like that guitar. Make sure you like the one at GC by playing it first. If you do like it, maybe you can get GC to throw in a setup (with new strings).

• Members

Go and have a look at Tak 440SC first.

Mini-Jumbo/Folk sized and with a good, balanced sound.

Sounds amplified as good as acoustic and that's not bad for a cheap Tak.

Only drawback is the neck, mine is a tad too fat for my liking. Fills my palm fully.

You can listen to it in the "Guitar Sounds" Poll-Thread.

• Members

Interesting. I'm not going to buy one I can't hold in my hands, so I don't have the world of choice. I'm looking at getting the Takamine or waiting for something else to come up. I've still got to try it out, and I've got to survey the options throughout the rest of town, all while keeping an eye on Elderly, which is about an hour and a half away. I'm doing fine with my current guitar, but it's very quiet and I'm borrowing my bassist's much nicer guitar for our unplugged shows.

• Members

Interesting. I'm not going to buy one I can't hold in my hands, so I don't have the world of choice. I'm looking at getting the Takamine or waiting for something else to come up. I've still got to try it out, and I've got to survey the options throughout the rest of town, all while keeping an eye on Elderly, which is about an hour and a half away. I'm doing fine with my current guitar, but it's very quiet and I'm borrowing my bassist's much nicer guitar for our unplugged shows.

Elderly sounds like a nice option. Any chance they are carrying something similar in the right price range? I'd like to play some of the Guild jumbos. Crafter makes some decent looking jumbos that are all solid wood for reasonable prices but I don't think they have electronics built in. Some models may though.

• Members

Elderly sounds like a nice option. Any chance they are carrying something similar in the right price range? I'd like to play some of the Guild jumbos. Crafter makes some decent looking jumbos that are all solid wood for reasonable prices but I don't think they have electronics built in. Some models may though.

Elderly doesn't have a lot in the A/E category, and I really don't want to pony up for another Rare Earth. It'd cut into my guitar budget.

Archived