Not the Way to Start a Sunday Morning

gull12

• Members

This morning, after returning from church, I though it might be nice to turn on the TV, get a cold drink, and change my guitar strings. They hadn't been changed for about three months and they were getting kinda crappy. I don't usually look forward to changing strings because there are twelve of them, and it takes a little time, but today seemed like a nice day to do it. So I sat down with all my tools and my guitar laid out in front of me and proceeded to go at it. Everything went fine until I got to the octave A string.

For some reason, I had trouble getting it through the little tuner hole. I must have been putting it in crooked or I hit a burr or something. I was holding the headstock with my left hand, trying to steady it and maneuver it so I could get a better look. Well, I got really frustrated and gave it a pretty hard push. It cleared the hole, allright, and then went right through my left index fingertip and right up under the whole width of my fingernail. It traveled in a good half-inch all together.

So now I have a purple-maroon fingertip that hurts like sheer hell, I can't change the rest of the strings, I can't play, I'm screwed. So now I have a new superstition - don't change strings on a Sunday morning! :cry:

• Members
Those things are like hypodermic needles! You'll be playing slide for a while.

Yeah, probably for about a week. Fingertips are really tender, and I did a real number on this one! A really stupid mistake!

• Members

Well gull12,

We all have had some sore ones as its easily done without thinking about it really and we take changing strings with ease

I also like others and now yourself have had some :eek: moments when

changing strings but looks like you have got a bad one

hopefully you feel better in a day or 2 :thu:

• Members

I keep saying that I can't wait for the rich and famous part to kick in so I can afford to pay someone else to change my strings. I really don't like doing it and hold off as long as I can. But then that is me

Tony

• Members

when was your last tetanus shot?

One of the first things I checked. I'm OK. But my doctor said (over the phone) that if I experience any type of infection, he would put me on an antibiotic to clear things up. I'll be OK, but it just hurts like a sumbitch. The throbbing is a real pain, pardon the pun.

• Members

This morning, after returning from church, I though it might be nice to turn on the TV, get a cold drink, and change my guitar strings. They hadn't been changed for about three months and they were getting kinda crappy. I don't usually look forward to changing strings because there are twelve of them, and it takes a little time, but today seemed like a nice day to do it. So I sat down with all my tools and my guitar laid out in front of me and proceeded to go at it. Everything went fine until I got to the octave A string.

For some reason, I had trouble getting it through the little tuner hole. I must have been putting it in crooked or I hit a burr or something. I was holding the headstock with my left hand, trying to steady it and maneuver it so I could get a better look. Well, I got really frustrated and gave it a pretty hard push. It cleared the hole, allright, and then went right through my left index fingertip and right up under the whole width of my fingernail. It traveled in a good half-inch all together.

So now I have a purple-maroon fingertip that hurts like sheer hell, I can't change the rest of the strings, I can't play, I'm screwed. So now I have a new superstition - don't change strings on a Sunday morning!
:cry:

I thought for a second you were going to say you broke the headstock off of it or something serious........:poke:

Nah, I'm just joshing you, man! I'm sorry to hear about it. Sharp objects under the fingernail can be about as bad as painful as it gets. I hope you get better soon. Rt1

• Members

I thought for a second you were going to say you broke the headstock off of it or something serious........:poke:

Nah, I'm just joshing you, man! I'm sorry to hear about it. Sharp objects under the fingernail can be about as bad as painful as it gets. I hope you get better soon. Rt1

Nah, snappin' the headstock off would have been a lot more painful!!! It didn't go under my fingernail like a splinter would, it went through the tip of my finger about 1/8" below the edge of my fingernail and then up and around the inside of my fingernail. Does that make sense?

Like this:

Untitled-1.jpg

• Members

I've pulled that same stunt more than once, gull. More than twice, as a matter of fact. Probably more than three times. Just one of those occupational hazards that comes part and parcel with changing strings, I guess :idk:.

Fortunately, I've never gone all the way through my finger with a string. Usually just a little pinprick, and even those hurt something awful. I can't even begin to imagine how bad lancing your whole finger with the stupid thing would feel :eek:.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Members

Would love to swap with you.

My relationship - no we weren't married, but together for 5+ years - went down the drain yesterday. And it wasn't because of the Martins.

Yowks. Not to hijack here, but best wishes to you 'topp. That'll hurt longer than a finger impalement... :cry:

But damn, gull, you DID do a number on the finger there. That's deep. :eek:

Speedy recovery to you both. :cool:

• Members

Would love to swap with you.

My relationship - no we weren't married, but together for 5+ years - went down the drain yesterday. And it wasn't because of the Martins.

You're right, my woes pale to insignificance. I feel for you. I had that same thing happen after many years of marriage, with children involved, and it tore my heart out. The only advice I can humbly offer you is that things get better with time. Buy yourself some time. Be gentle with yourself, and allow yourself to feel. Keep your mind occupied with good things, happy things. Tomorrow is a new and wonderful day. :cry:

• Members

I haven't posted this injury as a pitiful plea for sympathy, but rather a reminder to all of us that changing strings is rather dangerous. I sat and thought about this whole thing last night, and I have decided to take some precautions in the future.

a) from now on, I'm going to put all my snipped string-ends into an empty soda bottle where they can be secured all together. Many times, I have just snipped them off and spent an hour on my hands and knees trying to find the clippings, only to find eleven out of twelve. And I'm going to HOLD the string-end while I clip it. No more missiles.

b) I'm going to wear some sort of eye protection. Those little quarter-inch pieces of string, that I just have to clip off, could probably go through a wall.

c) I'm going to wear welding gloves!

Remember, string changes can kill, be careful! :wave:

• Members

You're right, my woes pale to insignificance. I feel for you. I had that same thing happen after many years of marriage, with children involved, and it tore my heart out. The only advice I can humbly offer you is that things get better with time. Buy yourself some time. Be gentle with yourself, and allow yourself to feel. Keep your mind occupied with good things, happy things. Tomorrow is a new and wonderful day.
:cry:

Thanks for your commiserations and my apologies for hijacking your thread.

I just felt very, very pissed off.

At least, I have my nice Martins and the joy to enjoy them even in dark hours. I might even get and work a bit on my blues - I am deffo blue enough do do so.

... and 12-stringers ARE dangerous beasts. Wear protective gear next time :poke:

• Members

I think it's Karmic retribution for you post-stalking Neal. Which is great coz it saves me the trouble of having to TP your house.
:)

Edited to add Mojo for Karsten.

I don't post-stalk Neal. I have a life, and a very good one, thank you. Except when I'm shoving strings through my fingers. :)

Archived